Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #85
xk49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT Convertible
So let me get this straight. In order for to qualify for a car to be entered into a show it must have the following criteria(based on the reasoning from former post given here):

1) Needs to have rust
2) You can't find parts
3) Must run like shit so you have to work on it more often
4) Can't have original parts

It all makes sense to me now.
Flowmaster Force II Axle back, Kooks LT's and Highflow Cats, Oracle Side Makers, BC Coilovers, E-Force Supercharger, Rotofab Intake, HexVents, ACS T4 Splitter/Rockers/Wind Deflectors, Aeroforce dual pod, Autometer boost/WB analog gauges, MRR M228 20x10 20x11 Nitto Invo 275/315's, CDC Sport Bar, Tuned by Slowhawk Performance.
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #86
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Same thing happened last "all years" car show I went to. Nothing newer than the 70's won anything. And Pre 70 cars only comprised maybe 30% of the cars there.
I've only been to a couple of car shows to "show" my Camaro. Just can't get into the whole cleaning with a toothbrush and diaper thing.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #87
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Detail your car.
Get up crazy early to get a good parking spot.
Drive however far, cause the shows aren't always close.
Pay $20-$30 entry fee.
Re detail your car.
Sit around all day in the crazy heat.
Wait until 5 o'clock for the 3 o'clock trophy announcments.
Then either a. You don't won a trophy or b. Win a $3.00 trophy and hear people bitch about you winning.

Yay! What fun!
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #88
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
Cowboy and 88...I think you are somewhat confused and not familiar with whom you are speaking, but that is ok as I keep my profile lower than most. I've had my share of rust and machining. Heck, I have 3 Chevrolet 197x pickups on the farm now...believe me, I know rust. Showed a 1977 pickup at Carl Casper's show in '78, that thing rotted into the ground just looking at it.

Grandma's 1927 Model T sits right next to the GTO on occasion. Ya never know how good something is until a woodworker has to rebuild your floorboards.

Once a show-car is built and put out to pasture, she won't break, cowboy. Push her on and push her off. I have had plenty of show cars, and plenty of drivers....and a few that have served me as both.

Point is, if you are using the "old" iron, then I salute you for the hard a$$ you come off to be. I appreciate the drivers and drool on the trailer queens. I'm just sayin' that new "crap" is just as hard to make show-ready as a driven oldie.

Making ANYTHING show ready with intent to win is a bitch. Newly restored vs new-new is as easy as park and tarp...and still no guarantees.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #89
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
If you're "pushing them on and pushing them off" (trailers I assume) you're not talking about cars, you're building display pieces. Assembling something once and then neglecting maintenance for the rest of its life because you aren't going to drive it anyway (museum display) isn't really applicable to the conversation. If you compare apples to apples, a new car that gets hauled around in a enclosed trailer would be pretty easy to keep pretty too. But we're talking about cars.

Cars get driven. And classics are more maintenance intensive than modern cars, that's just a fact.

And I don't know who you're quoting when you said "New crap" but it wasn't me, I love modern cars and their performance as much as the next guy, I just don't think they're show cars.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #90
punkindave
The Great Punkin

Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
If it is a charity show then you consider your entry fee as a donation and you get a primo parking spot for scoping other cars.

And it is fun!
Yup!! 'zactly! It's a social event mostly for the local club and unless you have something completely unique, you're not taking a trophy for a current model vehicle (even if it's shiny!!)
Old 09-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #91
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xk49 View Post
So let me get this straight. In order for to qualify for a car to be entered into a show it must have the following criteria(based on the reasoning from former post given here):

1) Needs to have rust
2) You can't find parts
3) Must run like shit so you have to work on it more often
4) Can't have original parts

It all makes sense to me now.
Apparently so xk....

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #92
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007s 'Vert View Post
Trophies? Lol.......who woulda thunk that a new car should get a trophy? Lol, ya i go to car shows and enter my car..........but mainly so i can have a sweet spot to park......thats my trophy!
Im old school when it comes to trophies for cars, when someone fully restores a classic and spends endless amounts of time and energy maintaining the car, im my opinion those folks deserve a trophy!
Anybody can mod and detail a newer car.....its easy! Heck they can even just take it to some shop and pay to have mods and details done on the car. To me, the only trophy they deserve is the pleasure of the result of their mods or detail work.
Trophies just sit there collecting dust until you die, then your kids just tnrow them all in the dumpster the trophies only have value to the individual that won them......and nobody else! The feeling that you get from donating to a good cause should be trophy enough...
The point is that at a show specifically advertised as "for any make any year all cars welcome" there should be an even-handedness of recognition across the whole range of cars entered. The physical award itself is irrelevant, although things like beer or coffee mugs and short drink tumblers with the event sponsors' names printed on them are at least things that can be put to good use (Philly Region SCCA used to pass those out to autocross trophy positions over 20 or more separate classes, at each of maybe 10 events a year).

By "even-handedness" I mean that the late models only get judged against the other late models and the classics against other classics. Not every award should be open to every car at the show (making everything nothing more than judges' variations on "best of show", as appears to have been the case here).

There are a few shows around where I live that I usually get out to as a spectator, and the bigger ones seem to do a good job of splitting classics, moderns, trucks, and imports off into separate classes each with their own trophies. I think one of them further subdivides at least some of the classes into "stock" vs "modified" . . . the lines between which may have to blur a bit as things like OE trim and other parts for the older cars that the judges can get a bit picky over become harder to source.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #93
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
If these guys were allowed to enter and display their 5th gens, I think the show held up the "all makes and models welcome" policy. Nobody got turned away based on the car they brought right? Being allowed to enter isn't a guarantee of a award or ribbon. I'm sure there were plenty of older cars that didn't win anything either.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #94
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Car Shows

The car show debate can go on forever and both sides will have good points. I think everyone looks at how they should be done differently which makes every show entertaining. Let me tell you about my 2014 car show experience for more entertainment.
(1) I go to a all Camaro and Firebird show that is put on by a club and is participant voting, I watch 2 very nice modded Camaro's get beat out by a all stock original ZL-1 that is dirty, the hood was never opened and the windows rolled up. The guy who won is wearing their club shirt when he picks up his trophy.
(2) I go to another show and I have some guy in a VW bus who keeps coming over wanting to race. I try telling him to go away, I don't race.
(3) The next show was great entertainment with some guy telling me that the new Camaro's look like a TURD out of a mustang, and another woman telling me that my car sounded like a Honda, then when a 2002 or 03 Thunderbird all stock won best of show the old car guys flipped their lids.
(4) I then went to my final show of 2014 when a judge was asking me about my car and told me about his car sitting next to the entrance. When the trophy's where given out, the judge who I was talking to received one for his car.
Man I'm excited about the 2015 shows so that I will have more great stories to tell my friends.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #95
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
I have both my Camaro, and an antique Lincoln. I have taken both to car shows and it is no comparison. With the Lincoln, I have driven it across many states to take it to a show. It has broken down on the way back even though I keep it in top running condition because everything on it is many decades old except for what has been replaced. And. oddly enough, the new parts seem to fail more than the original ones. I have had to run around to try and get things fixed that I cannot fix myself because no one knows how to fix anything that can't be plugged into a computer to tell them what is wrong with it. Getting parts is another issue. There are no catalogues full of parts for it like there are for '57 Chevys, Corvettes, Mustangs, etc. Mechanical parts are usually not too much of an issue, but only because they were shared with other Ford products. If you need Lincoln specific parts, especially body and interior parts, good luck with that.

With the Camaro, if it breaks down, I hit OnStar, and a tow truck takes it to any Chevy dealer where it is easily fixed with plentiful parts under warranty.

I spent 60 hours over 6 weekends shampooing the interior of the Lincoln to get out decades worth of dirt. Anyone had to do that with their 5th Gen Camaro? I would hope not. And while it is now clean, it still gets just as dirty as the Camaro daily driver because it gets rained on or goes through construction on the way to and from shows. And since it is nearly twice the size of the Camaro, there is a hell of a lot more to clean and detail.

So when I go to a show with my Camaro, I do not expect to win any trophies for a car that recently drove off the dealership lot.

And when I go with my Lincoln. I don't expect to win any trophies with it either. Because the trophies go to the muscle car with the biggest blower, flat black paint, flames, and 22" wheels. No one votes for a luxury car.

And if it is being points judged, there are always cars that were restored with an open checkbook, and mine wasn't. So it is not going to win there either.

So should I whine that my car is not getting any trophies too? Nope, I go to a car show to enjoy my car, and look at the other cars there.

My father on the other hand, won't go to any car show where he thinks he doesn't have a chance of getting a trophy, and usually tries to enter his in a category where there is hardly any competition so that he can get one. Seems pretty pathetic to me. But he has lots of trophies sitting there collecting dust.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #96
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
If these guys were allowed to enter and display their 5th gens, I think the show held up the "all makes and models welcome" policy. Nobody got turned away based on the car they brought right? Being allowed to enter isn't a guarantee of a award or ribbon. I'm sure there were plenty of older cars that didn't win anything either.
Plenty of older cars not winning anything is not the same as all of them not winning anything. That's the crux of the matter.

I can't believe that there wasn't at least one 5th gen or other modern that stood out against the other moderns as much as one or more of the classics that did trophy did against its classic competition. And if the disposition of the awards is going to be biased like it was at that event, billing the event as "all makes and models welcome" is nothing more than five empty words designed to pad the gate receipts.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #97
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Ive learned that is how it is whenever there are classics majority of the time they will win the awards and the modern car owners will suck apple juice in a sense.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #98
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
I only go to the car shows that are for charity. Main reason is just to meet other car people and gear heads.
Best show has one award, "people's choice", buy a ticket to get in to see the show, write the car that you want to win on it and drop it in a box. Winner gets a $3.00 trophy.....with this format...most everybody says B.F.D......and has a great time!
Attached Images

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote