Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #85
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
I emailed the lawers on the FB page a while ago and have not heard anything yet. Has anyone been contacted?
I received paperwork describing the class action law suit (as well as other information asking about my vehicle) last week via e-mail. I'm scanning them back to the law firm tomorrow.

My B2B expires in exactly 2 weeks from today.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #86
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
Uh oh...my Camaro was stolen and I'm just about to replace it. I *was* eyeing a convertible at the dealership, but now I'm concerned, based on what I'm reading here. Do you guys think I should buy it or get a hard top? it's a 2011 2SS with 28k miles
If all the issues have been repaired, 5th bow, any leaks, and general condition of the top...maybe. Do you have faith in any local dealers or shops that can repair it? If no to any of those I wouldn't. Consider to it may be out of BB warranty and the expenses for any repairs.

I would look for a used '13 were a lot of the 2011 and 2012 issues have been fixed and its still under warranty. I have a '11 and have been pleased with it, but we have had
good service from the dealer we use. As you may have read, the major issues with the
tops are finders dealers that can work on them without creating more issues or leaving your car in the back lot for weeks on end.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #87
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfoster View Post
If all the issues have been repaired, 5th bow, any leaks, and general condition of the top...maybe. Do you have faith in any local dealers or shops that can repair it? If no to any of those I wouldn't. Consider to it may be out of BB warranty and the expenses for any repairs.

I would look for a used '13 were a lot of the 2011 and 2012 issues have been fixed and its still under warranty. I have a '11 and have been pleased with it, but we have had
good service from the dealer we use. As you may have read, the major issues with the
tops are finders dealers that can work on them without creating more issues or leaving your car in the back lot for weeks on end.
Since the dealer is billing it as a certified pre-owned, should I force them to show me the paperwork showing any issues as being repaired?
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 PM   #88
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLmanTN View Post
I wouldn't have my camaro any other way. It just feels and looks like a different car with the top down. Every car has a quirk, if a rub mark turns into a hole I will patch it. Nobody would see it, the tops always down
Same here.......the convertible adds a whole new dimension to this car, and I have totally enjoyed every mile so far, it is all that I imagined it to be and more, so glad I made the switch to topless.....
Old 07-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #89
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
I emailed the lawers on the FB page a while ago and have not heard anything yet. Has anyone been contacted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
I have received my packet via email. I would try again and try this email address. She is the one who is on the suit initially.
tclark@eatel.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler NY View Post
I called them and gave them my information and havent seen anything from them it has been about 3 weeks.

Also the person i talked to asked if i have had water leaking in?? i thoight this was all about the faulty top mine has not leaked... YET! i thought the leaking was the Water Management Bag?
I have received my info, emailed it back and have confirmation that they have received it. I have been speaking with "Kay" and the email I have been using is;

daltonlawfirm@aol.com

I am one of the lucky ones with a component coverage letter for the top for another 3 years. I have joined the suit for the weeks of out of service, frustrations and continued holes wearing in the top. I plan on keeping my convertible for years to come and want some "long term" guarantees.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #90
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
Quote:
Since the dealer is billing it as a certified pre-owned, should I force them to show me the paperwork showing any issues as being repaired?
The most common issue is the 5th bow will bend. Most likely with the mileage it has already been replaced. I would ask the service manager to pull up all the work orders to see if its been replaced and other reoccurring problems like water leaks that weren't repaired correctly, etc. Which still may not be the whole story if the previous owner keep it inside and never had it repaired.

I'm not up on what GM covers on certified vehicles when it comes to the vert tops. Hopefully another member can give you more advice on that. But if your serious about it, I would bring up the documented problems with the 1st year verts (5th bow, water management bags, wear holes in the top) and see if they will extend the bumper to bumper warranty for any existing
problems and maybe the certified's already come with it.

Also, if you can get it next to a new vert to compare fit n finish etc. Granted it may not look new, but it should be fairly tight and no gaps in the rear and above the windows and no wear holes. And also the cable tensioners should be tight above the windows. Hopefully this will help you...
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #91
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Have the dealer's Service Dept. print a "Service History" for you. This will show any services performed at GM dealers for this vehicle. That would also include top repairs that were "farmed out" to independent shops via the dealer as these would've had to have gone through the dealer initially to be approved for and referred for top repairs. If the vehicle entered a GM repair facility anywhere in the country and was entered into the system for an assessment or repair for anything, it'll be shown on the report (date, time, location, problem). Just ask the service dept. for a complete service history report and build sheet. All you need to do is provide them with the VIN.

Also, print the CarFax report.

Do the above independent from your visit to the salesperson you're working with. In other words, get the report(s), take them home and take your time to study them and think about what is on them. Then ask questions, if necessary.

Also have the dealer's service dept. print a "Build Sheet" for you - that way you can see everything this car was built with at the factory.

There are several members of our forum who've had more than one top repair / replacement done due to the initial repair either having been done poorly or improperly and the same parts breaking again after a repair. I believe later repairs were usually successful as GM developed a better top and figured out the problems. Obviously, the 2013's and 2014's appear to have significantly fewer top problem threads on this forum than 2011's and 2012's.

I've owned my 2011 convertible since new (see my signature) and have not had any top problems, thus far. Not all early build convertible's have top problems. However, I'm always checking for wear marks, pinches, noises, water and air leaks and the top's frame not aligned correctly when lowering or raising it. Then, there's the potential issue with the original / 1st generation (and even some 2nd gen.) tonneau cover(s)...

IF the convertible you're considering has had a warranty / GM covered top repair or replacement done, I'd find out if there was a "Component Coverage Letter" issued.

This letter states that GM will provide top coverage beyond the B2B warranty (I'm guessing this letter will supersede any Certified Pre-Owned coverage which may expire prior to the time / mileage denoted on the "Component Coverage Letter"). Other members here who've been through this process can fill you in on the specifics - or do a "search" of the convertible forum.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...overage+letter

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/search...rchid=24182964

Driving a 5th Gen. Camaro Convertible is not just driving a car, it's a "lifestyle".

Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #92
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLmanTN View Post
I wouldn't have my camaro any other way. It just feels and looks like a different car with the top down. Every car has a quirk, if a rub mark turns into a hole I will patch it. Nobody would see it, the tops always down
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007s 'Vert View Post
Same here.......the convertible adds a whole new dimension to this car, and I have totally enjoyed every mile so far, it is all that I imagined it to be and more, so glad I made the switch to topless.....
Would not own a Camaro if there was not a drop top. Try and get a 2013.
They redesigned the mechanism, waterbag system and use a different fabric then the 2011/12's.
Attached Images

SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #93
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
If the top was replaced by a trim shop how can it be GM certified since the Trim Shops themselves are not GM certified?
Also, I have been receiving lots of inquires on the suit and the mods will not answer my question as to whether or not I can post the info so I am just going to and probably get my hand slapped or banned for it. So here it is. And as a Caveat, I am not affiliated with said law firm. Just trying to help out others with top problems and passing the information along to you.

RICHARD C. DALTON
1343 West Causeway Approach
Mandeville, Louisiana 70471
Telephone (985) 778-2215
Facsimile (985) 778-2233
Email: rdalton746@aol.com

KEVIN R. DUCK (23043)
DUCK LAW FIRM, L.L.C.
5040 AMBASSADOR CAFFERY PARKWAY
SUITE 200
LAFAYETTE, LA 70508
TELE: (337) 406-1144
FAX : (337) 406-1050
krd@ducklawfirm.com
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #94
desieng

Drives: '11 SW 2SS/RS LS3 Vert
Was looking at the package I got in the mail and wonder if this only apply to those that have had problems and have had to get it repaired/replaced?

I bought my 2011 Vert last year (it was traded in - owner went from Camaro to Corvette). I found out after the sale that they had replaced the top on it before they put it up for sale again... long story short ... I haven't had any top issues (yet - although I'm starting to see the beginnings of rub/wear marks) so I'm not sure if I'd be eligible for this?
Just want to keep myself covered in case I do run into issues in the future??
desieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #95
95birdible

My understanding is it is any current or former owners of a Chevrolet Camaro Convertible from 2011 on. I had my first 2012 repurchased and currently have another one. So I am eligible twice. If you have questions just email or call one of the attorneys listed.
"Green Flash"
Old 09-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #96
95birdible

Anyone that requested a packet yet not received it? Just send me a PM and I will send to the appropriate person for you.
"Green Flash"
Old 09-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #97
VOLmanTN
Go Vols!

Drives: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by desieng View Post
Was looking at the package I got in the mail and wonder if this only apply to those that have had problems and have had to get it repaired/replaced?

I bought my 2011 Vert last year (it was traded in - owner went from Camaro to Corvette). I found out after the sale that they had replaced the top on it before they put it up for sale again... long story short ... I haven't had any top issues (yet - although I'm starting to see the beginnings of rub/wear marks) so I'm not sure if I'd be eligible for this?
Just want to keep myself covered in case I do run into issues in the future??
You are likely almost out of warranty on a 2011. I would have it inspected if you feel something is wrong. I developed a few marks the day I took it home but nothing has changed since.
VOLmanTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #98
LSXBumblebee
LSX Bumblebee

Drives: 2014 LSX Camaro
I have a 2014 Camaro SS Conv and also am interested, I know I am still in warranty but believe I should probably join this just in case something happens down the line.
LSXBumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote