Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #85
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
I'm not saying they haven't agreed, but can you provide a link to Ford and Dodge statements regarding this matter?

I thought it was all dandy at GM, or at least that's what everyone has been saying here. Sales have continually gone up, subsidiaries are profitable, etc. What's the problem that necessitates this type of thinking if that's the case? Sales increases by segment have primarily been in smaller, more fuel efficient new vehicles per GM's recent statements that have been discussed on this forum, while fleet sales and larger vehicles have suffered. What am I missing?
The most logical explanation probably is that GM (and everyone else) is worried about the next CAFE increase. The more fuel-efficient cars an automaker sells, they less they have to worry about CAFE. For example, if GM sells a bunch of Volts, Cruze Ecos, Malibu Ecos, LaCrosse/Regal eAssist, etc, those can offset the lower fuel economy of vehicles like trucks/SUVs. It's also why you see BMW and Mercedes working their butts off to get A/B segment cars to market soon.

That being said, I highly doubt the next CAFE target will be 62 MPG. Every automaker is on the verge of rioting about that.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #86
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Instead of Corporate A**holes making plans, why cant the general public in America vote on it? If the ppl want to consume more gas and majority votes on it then so be it. Simply put his words are, " Lets make a gas tax since so we can line our pockets up regardless of whether or not ppl go to smaller vehicles."
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #87
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
The simple solution is to vote in the congressmen calling for less regulation. More and more newcomers to politics are more 'regular people', many own businesses. These are the types you want in. They not only want to stop regulating everything, they actually want to ROLL BACK some of these regulations that are killing American businesses and restore our freedoms.
Lou_Dorchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #88
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Instead of Corporate A**holes making plans, why cant the general public in America vote on it? If the ppl want to consume more gas and majority votes on it then so be it. Simply put his words are, " Lets make a gas tax since so we can line our pockets up regardless of whether or not ppl go to smaller vehicles."

or you could read the other part of his quote where he says that an immediate tax hike on gas would do more to help the environment than the pending fuel economy rules mandating the 60+mpg.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #89
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
sorry guys...i think this is a repost...oops
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #90
myblackcamaros

Drives: #156 ZL575, 97 SS, 87 IROC-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_Dorchen View Post
The simple solution is to vote in the congressmen calling for less regulation. More and more newcomers to politics are more 'regular people', many own businesses. These are the types you want in. They not only want to stop regulating everything, they actually want to ROLL BACK some of these regulations that are killing American businesses and restore our freedoms.
I would love to see people in power that actually care about our country!
Old 06-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #91
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Here's one from 2004 where Bill Ford proposed a tax increase.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...tax-hike-4734/
Are we really going to compare proposed tax increases and vehicle rebate incentives from under $2/gal 7 years ago during the SUV mega-craze to proposed tax increases at $4/gal in a far less stable economy when fuel-efficient vehicles are selling well? I don't really see that as a valid comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The most logical explanation probably is that GM (and everyone else) is worried about the next CAFE increase. The more fuel-efficient cars an automaker sells, they less they have to worry about CAFE. For example, if GM sells a bunch of Volts, Cruze Ecos, Malibu Ecos, LaCrosse/Regal eAssist, etc, those can offset the lower fuel economy of vehicles like trucks/SUVs. It's also why you see BMW and Mercedes working their butts off to get A/B segment cars to market soon.

That being said, I highly doubt the next CAFE target will be 62 MPG. Every automaker is on the verge of rioting about that.
I understand that and if sales of compacts and efficient vehicles in general were suffering or gas prices were low I believe it would hold more water. However, fuel efficient vehicles are selling better than ever and gas prices are near as high as they have ever been
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #92
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Look I get it. probably nothing to be worried about... One man doesn't influence taxes...

BUT. at what point does a CEO learn to keep his mouth shut on something that is so damn volatile given the current constraints we live in...

it was a immature thing to say and will be seen as insensitive wealthy out of touch ugly poo face CEO's who make too much money...

dumb thing to say...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #93

Drives: 2011 5.0L GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post

or you could read the other part of his quote where he says that an immediate tax hike on gas would do more to help the environment than the pending fuel economy rules mandating the 60+mpg.

this.. I think most ppl aren't reading the whole thing through...

28 " Buy a hybrid, I need your gas.."
28. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #94
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Look I get it. probably nothing to be worried about... One man doesn't influence taxes...

BUT. at what point does a CEO learn to keep his mouth shut on something that is so damn volatile given the current constraints we live in...

it was a immature thing to say and will be seen as insensitive wealthy out of touch ugly poo face CEO's who make too much money...

dumb thing to say...
Like I said, Akerson really needs to learn to just shut up. He's said a few eye-opening remarks in the past week.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #95
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Agreed. He's going to be scrutinized for EVERYTHING he sayd. And his words will be 'translated' every way possible. But he gets paid well to be able to handle his mouth.

But I do agree with him. I think they should put a 2.00 tax on every gallon of gas. We need to try and force people into the 'right' cars for them. Because WE know what's good for them.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #96
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
This new CEO Akerson does not seem to be a car guy at all, and that concerns me as a GM fan and enthusiast.

Quote from Detroit News:
"Akerson, who became CEO Sept. 1 and board chairman Jan. 1, already is weighing in on new vehicles. He recently greenlighted the next generation of the compact Chevrolet Cruze, but vetoed a new engine for a sports car set for production in 18 months."

http://detnews.com/article/20110606/...#ixzz1OVCSwJ6h

Sure it doesn't specify what type of engine he vetoed and what direction he prefers, but reading the comments below has me concerned as a Corvette and Camaro fan and for us as performance enthusiasts.

Another comment from the CEO:
"In a recent meeting with engineers, for example, Akerson pressed them to explain the logic behind putting a big 6.2-liter engine in an unspecified car whose competitor has a 4.4-liter turbocharged engine. The engineers replied: "Well, we want to be able to beat the other guy."

Akerson responded: "I don't think the average buyer is going to buy an eight-cylinder, 530-horsepower (car)." His point: Decisions must be supported by a solid business case, and not just for bragging rights or as a marketing tool."

http://detnews.com/article/20110606/...#ixzz1OV89SLS4

Newsflash, people who buy these type of cars are not your "average buyer" and care about performance and bragging rights within the segment! This isn't the a Toyota Corolla demographic.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #97
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
If we add a lot of electric cars, where are we going to get the electricity to run them? TVA is shutting down some coal fired plants because it would be cost prohibitive to clean them up. Am already hearing about electricity shortages this summer.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #98
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
I said this on Facebook and I'll say it here...Instead of being innovative, and coming up with unique and desirable eco-cars that people WANT, they want to push the Government into taxing the citizens that bailed their asses out. You don't need a history book to remember that in 2008, when gas prices in the US hit above $4.00 gallon the world's economy tanked and nobody was buying anything (hence all the bailouts). GM needs to reverse its course NOW in terms of leadership, because this is unacceptable. Innovate, lobby to change emissions regs and CAFE standards. Don't cut off the hand that bailed your asses out.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote