Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #85
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Comp cams is grinding it as we speak..Duration @ .050 235/251 Lift is .621/.624 with a 115 LSA, matching springs,seats,retainers locks, timing set with LS2 style damper, trunion kit for rockers, hardened pushrods.

Other mods are :

long tube headers
no cats
adm race CAI
2.50" 2 pc upper pulley
160 degree thermostat
Lingenfelter hx reservoir
Jannetty tune
90mm LS7 Throttle body

Things i am thinking about:
Head porting
Torq intercooler
chiller
lower pulley and damper
63 lb injectors.

What kind of specs is your cam?
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #86
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
Nice! My cam is a little more mild. Slightly less lift and duration and a 118LSA. Goal was to maximize mid lift flow at the sacrifice of a little high rpm HP to make as broad of a torque curve as possible since my ZL1 will mostly be on the street. With the springs I'm running, I can toy with 1.8 rockers later to see what the added lift (up to .650 and .661) does but staying stock at first. I'm also keeping high flow cats on the car. Right now trying to decide lower pulley diameter. I currently have an 8.6 but after seeing KDi's dyno results I'm second guessing that. Looking forward to their results tomorrow.

My build isn't done yet but based on what others are seeing, I think you're going to need at least an 8.6 lower pulley and larger HX with that cam and headers w/o cats. If you stay with a stock lower and 2.55 upper, you might see very low boost.

Cool build! looking forward to seeing your results.
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #87
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

I hear ya on the pulley..With the flow on those heads you are gonna need some serious pulley action yourself. There is a 9.5 or a 10" if I'm not mistaken.

I did actually order the 2.38 upper as well as the 2.55 though, so I have that option too, although I would need to order the idler set up to use it. I haven't ordered that idler set up yet because the water pump removal (see below) will probably dictate some re-design on the belt routing anyway.

I'm looking at a remote water pump so I can re-work the blower snout by removing the hump completely on the bottom. (where the stock water outlet gets in the way). To me, that blower inlet looks like a real mess flow wise, so I want to try to straighten it out some. If its too much to alter I may cast a new one.
Moroso makes some sweet AN adapters to run a remote water pump I may use. This set up will also delete the hp needed to run the water pump.

I have yet to install anything yet except the 90 mm throttle body because my tune is made for all the goodies, and I have been waiting for the upper pulley which has been on b/o. I guess the backorder from LPE is released on the pulleys now apparently.

My car is primarily for street use also, but I have ordered some wheels and drag radials for use at the Friday nite street legal drags at our local strip. I really have to learn how to drive this car to some degree, because all my efforts so far have resulted in crappy 60 foots which killed my ET's.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #88
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

oh.. by the way since I haven't seen the part number posted anywhere on the net, the bare heads p/n is 12610716. Cheapest I've found is 182.29 each.
Just thought people may want to know the part number for a bare LSA head.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #89
KD Innovations

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 2009 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsgn View Post
are there any worries of overheating with the big heat exchanger in front of the radiator? My Buick GN runs considerably warmer on summer days with my FMIC intercooler in front despite the upgraded 4500 cfm electric fans and better radiator. Good luck with the build and I look forward to the results.
The car runs extremely cool. With a 160 tstat the engine coolant temps are 172 in traffic on a 100 degree and, the same on the freeway and the same at then end of a Dyno pull.

With the same tstat the ZL1 run s 10 degrees colder than my cts-v. That kdi heat exchanger is mounted below the radiator in the lower valance opening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
KD Innovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #90
KD Innovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
Comp cams is grinding it as we speak..Duration @ .050 235/251 Lift is .621/.624 with a 115 LSA, matching springs,seats,retainers locks, timing set with LS2 style damper, trunion kit for rockers, hardened pushrods.

Other mods are :

long tube headers
no cats
adm race CAI
2.50" 2 pc upper pulley
160 degree thermostat
Lingenfelter hx reservoir
Jannetty tune
90mm LS7 Throttle body

Things i am thinking about:
Head porting
Torq intercooler
chiller
lower pulley and damper
63 lb injectors.

What kind of specs is your cam?
Those injectors are far too small. Pm me if you want to compare notes.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #91
KD Innovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 View Post
oh.. by the way since I haven't seen the part number posted anywhere on the net, the bare heads p/n is 12610716. Cheapest I've found is 182.29 each.
Just thought people may want to know the part number for a bare LSA head.
That is the right part number but the bare casting is restricted everywhere right now, in that part #. The simple answer is gm could just be changing the part number.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #92
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Well today I finally got my hands on the correct head stud kit and as luck would have it, 1 of the studs has no threads cut on the end that goes into the block!

ARP is closed until Monday and I'm leaving town on a trip this weekend so my ZL1 will now sit until I get back giving me 2 weekdays to finish the assembly before my appointment for the initial tune.

Bummer!

Last edited by 1st Gen Forever; 08-10-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #93
sammyv

Drives: 2013 red Lingenfelter ZL1
That blows!! Keep us posted!!
sammyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #94
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Figures huh....
Old 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #95
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
Dang..... that's strange!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #96
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Long overdue for an update on this. I've had many delays but mostly because I'm only working on this in the evenings and weekends and the rest of life continues to get in the way. I came back from a trip for a wedding this week and it was like Christmas at my house. I had a replacement stud from ARP, headers back from Swain, a fuel pump from Livernois, and some miscellaneous odds and ends from Summit.

So I'll start with the challenges I had with fitment related to the heads and headers. It became apparent that the MAST heads have some of the bolt holes machined more shallow than the stock LSA.

Specifically the steam bolt holes on top and the bolt holes along the sides above the exhaust manifolds where ground straps and the oil dipstick tube bolt up. For the Steam tubes, I needed bolts about 1/4" shorter. I also had to get steam hole block off plugs for the rear as the MAST heads were open and the LSA heads were not.

The Stainless Works headers also had larger flanges than the iron manifolds so simply cutting the bolts/studs shorter wasn't enough as the bolt head or stud nut wouldn't clear the SW flange so I had to get some new bolts and studs with allen heads and spacers to clear the flange. The oil dipstick tube also required modification.

And as far as the ground cable goes on the front of the passenger side, you all might want to check your stock installs, mine was physically touching the stock iron manifold and starting to burn away.

And lastly with the mast heads being taller, longer plug wires were needed. Moroso makes a nice set.

Here's what the headers looked like fresh from Swain with their White Lightning heat coating

So heading into the weekend, I won't be ready for the tune this Saturday as I had hoped but the engine compartment starting to look normal again. It's close! More to come after this weekend!

Last edited by 1st Gen Forever; 08-24-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #97
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

One more...

I wasn't smart enough to remember to take matching angles but here's a teardown photo next to an assembly photo and I think it reveals that the height difference in the heads won't be obvious. The real giveaways to mods when popping the hood are going to be the 102mm throttle body and headers. Even the MAST etching on the heads is hidden behind the pulleys.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #98
Drew P

Drives: Camaro ZL1
What made you decide to go with swain over other potential heat coatings?
Drew P is offline   Reply With Quote