Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #85
Adamante82

Drives: 2013 1SS camaro
Don't trust the mpg read out on your car as it is often incorrect by a few mpg's.

The only way to really check it is to accurately record your miles travelled and the amount of gas you add to the car.

I use the Car Care app from the iPhone. My car is new so I have only one read out for mpg so far. I am filling up today so I will have another entry for mpg.

When I filled up the first time the car was off by about .5 mpg. In the past with other cars, they are all off a few as well.
Attached Images

Adamante82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #86
Adamante82

Drives: 2013 1SS camaro
Not to hijack the thread but this app is pretty cool and may be worth your time. An example of my Harley with several entries is attached.

It will display graphs of your fuel mpgs, differentiate between premium and regular, graph of prices, etc.

Yes I am a bit of a dork
Attached Images

Adamante82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #87
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1USMC View Post
I just got back from a 1,600-mile road trip to Vegas. I reset the MPG meter to compare it with hand-calculating the mileage at each fill-up. Keeping the cruise on at exactly 65mph, going to Vegas (which is coming down in elevation), I got 25.3 mpg, even though the car was saying 25.6. On the drive home, I was getting 24.1 (because of going up in elevation) and seeing 24.6 on the display. I was pretty impressed by how close it was. My car has a .646" lift cam, ADM twin pumps, LT Headers, no cats, 3" exhaust, Flowmasters, 9" rear with 4.10 gears, and 22" TSW's with P-Zero's all the way around. These cars are truly amazing for what they are and how little they cost (comparatively).
That's decently close..

I'm only running a CAI, ported TB, and a catback exhaust and even on a long trip, I can't get over 22+ mpg.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #88
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEKFREEKSCOTTY View Post
That's decently close..

I'm only running a CAI, ported TB, and a catback exhaust and even on a long trip, I can't get over 22+ mpg.

Are you using the cruise control? And at what speed? I think most of the guys here have similar experiences - 60mph is the most fuel-efficient. 65 is the max I would set it at if I care about economy vs. getting there fast. If you are able to keep your foot outta it (I know...) and just stick to cruising at no faster than 60 or 65, you should be seeing much better than that. I have 4.10 gears, and my car turns 1,760 rpm exactly (I have a AutoMeter digital display tach adapter).
Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #89
KevininPHX

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE Garnet Red Tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthaman View Post
I can't believe I'm getting this good of gas mileage. Of course the only reason I'm getting such good mpg is because I'm goin 60mph. When I go 75mph I get 23mpg.
If you're getting that good of mileage in an SS, you're doing it wrong.
KevininPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #90
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevininPHX View Post
If you're getting that good of mileage in an SS, you're doing it wrong.
HAHA! I think there's quite a bit of truth in that statement!!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #91
bowtiefamily

Drives: Chevrolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
I have never checked my gas mileage, lol
Old 09-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #92
GEEKFREEKSCOTTY
Autoboticus Roboticus

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1USMC View Post
Are you using the cruise control? And at what speed? I think most of the guys here have similar experiences - 60mph is the most fuel-efficient. 65 is the max I would set it at if I care about economy vs. getting there fast. If you are able to keep your foot outta it (I know...) and just stick to cruising at no faster than 60 or 65, you should be seeing much better than that. I have 4.10 gears, and my car turns 1,760 rpm exactly (I have a AutoMeter digital display tach adapter).
cruising at only 60mph??

Yeah.... no.. I'll deal with the mpg hit for cruising at 68 in a 60, or 78 in a 70.

But I am going to try a fuse pull and make sure my tires are at 36psi when cold.

After reading this I also realize that I've been lugging my engine.. I live in area that I deal with a decent amount of stop and go traffic, as well as hills.

I tend to try to get to the tallest gear I can without killing the engine.. but realize now that may be causing mpg loss due to the conditions in which I mostly drive..

And for the record.. I do not expect to get as good as gas mileage as a prius or even a V6 Camaro.

I bought an SS for a reason.. I just want to make sure my mpg is in the ballpark as other V8 Camaros.