Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #85
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
wasn't there a video of it spinning out on the ring.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #86
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
Yeah..funny it's almost like they took the car to the ring to do testing..and sometimes testing reveals things that need to be corrected...

So weird...
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #87
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
Lap times are for fanboys and trolls. Its nice to see what these cars can do, but honestly 95% of us are going to purchase based on either looks, or personal preference.
Right, I agree. I welcome the competition though in the industry and lap times are just a small part of that aspect. In the end, we get better vehicles.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #88
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
I just read that the GT 350 is 5 seconds faster that the new Z28. It must be true because I posted it on the Internet.
Fixed
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #89
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Lap times are for fanboys and trolls. Its nice to see what these cars can do, but honestly 95% of us are going to purchase based on either looks, or personal preference.
is that logic im sensing?!?! we cant have that here.

ive said it before and ill say it again, 95% of us drive our performance cars to work half asleep barely getting it over 3k on the tach. then we get back into it at the end of our work day and do the same thing on the way home. MAYBE we'll get crazy and go WOT on an on ramp or something. but other than that we use our high horsepower performance cars to commute in. the same job a Honda civic can do. we just decide we like to do it with big horsepower, and subjectively good looks.

you can tout lap times and performance figures all you want...but at the end of the day, you commute to and from work in it and it sits in a parking lot all day. you're not hitting apex's and setting record lap times.

stop it.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #90

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
is that logic im sensing?!?! we cant have that here.

ive said it before and ill say it again, 95% of us drive our performance cars to work half asleep barely getting it over 3k on the tach. then we get back into it at the end of our work day and do the same thing on the way home. MAYBE we'll get crazy and go WOT on an on ramp or something. but other than that we use our high horsepower performance cars to commute in. the same job a Honda civic can do. we just decide we like to do it with big horsepower, and subjectively good looks.

you can tout lap times and performance figures all you want...but at the end of the day, you commute to and from work in it and it sits in a parking lot all day. you're not hitting apex's and setting record lap times.

stop it.
...So what's wrong with discussing Ring times in a thread about Ring times?...GM did it with the Z/28 and put up a video...It was great PR, lead to a lot of interest and enthusiasm about the car....

If you're in the percent that doesn't care about it, what needs to stop is the trolling in this thread...

You can mix it up with your 95% commuter buddies, who perhaps are just concerned with gas mileage in another thread...

Some of us track our cars....and the Ring is perhaps the ultimate test/showcase....so, yeah, it's interesting...I hope Ford does well, thatGM re-acts, and we get to see some videos...All good...

90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #91
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Fixed
I just quoted the other guys post.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #92
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...So what's wrong with discussing Ring times in a thread about Ring times?...GM did it with the Z/28 and put up a video...It was great PR, lead to a lot of interest and enthusiasm about the car....

If you're in the percent that doesn't care about it, what needs to stop is the trolling in this thread...

You can mix it up with your 95% commuter buddies, who perhaps are just concerned with gas mileage in another thread...

Some of us track our cars....and the Ring is perhaps the ultimate test/showcase....so, yeah, it's interesting...I hope Ford does well, thatGM re-acts, and we get to see some videos...All good...

I guess you reading comprehension isn't all that great. I stated in this thread that it would be nice if Ford posted the ring lap time. But the reality is all the bickering stems from people that want to tout their favorite brand as better than the other guys. K?
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #93
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:

oh of course you can discuss it. the point I was making was not to get hung up on it. the time is just a measurement of what THAT driver did in THAT car on THAT day. not what the car can do. I couldn't hit anything close those times because im a regular guy. The average joe that buys cars like this because "OMG it can go so fast at the ring" are the same guys that get passed by a Miata at a track day.

if your a legit racer, sure, the numbers matter. but if your like the rest of us, the number are purely to spark conversation on internet forums and all they do is measure brand loyalty. everyone was so quick to praise the Z/28's lap time, but now that a proposed lap time for the GT350R is out suddenly the ring lap times aren't official.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #94
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
LOL! I'm sure the Z/28 never exceeded the limits of the chassis or driver at any point it was being tested on the 'Ring. Right.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #95
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
oh of course you can discuss it. the point I was making was not to get hung up on it. the time is just a measurement of what THAT driver did in THAT car on THAT day. not what the car can do. I couldn't hit anything close those times because im a regular guy. The average joe that buys cars like this because "OMG it can go so fast at the ring" are the same guys that get passed by a Miata at a track day.

if your a legit racer, sure, the numbers matter. but if your like the rest of us, the number are purely to spark conversation on internet forums and all they do is measure brand loyalty. everyone was so quick to praise the Z/28's lap time, but now that a proposed lap time for the GT350R is out suddenly the ring lap times aren't official.
The Ring time represents the best time the manufacture's best driver could get after repeated attempts over a period of days, weeks or months.

The manufactures spend considerable time and dollars to refine a car to shave a few second and the cost is passed on to the consumer. Its a reflection of how dialed in a car will feel.

The average guy won't use a ZL1 or Z/28's balance, 0-60 or braking capabilities on a daily basis but dismissing it all as irrelevant to us mere mortals is just another form of snobbery. IMO Remember, "competition amongst manufactures benefits all".

Perhaps you'd just have us go back to the days of mere appearance kits on a base SS.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 01-27-2015 at 12:47 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #96
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:

stop it.
Don't make a blanket statement like that. I drive my Camaro to work once in a blue moon. I got this car to really drive it, heck all I do with it not is track / HPD it, club events and sometimes "commute" with it.

Quote:
Exactly.

Quote:

I agree that I'm never going to get lap times like these pro drivers. However these lap times show what the car is capable of and it is particularly interesting to hear the review of the car's dynamics from a pro driver because while the GT500 may be able to achieve similar lap times at certain tracks as the ZL1 it has always been said that the ZL1 is easier to drive at the limit. Which means that the average Joe like myself who is tracking their own car, I'm more likely to be able to manage the car at the limit.

A car that can achieve great lap times on a track is typically a better car in general, unless you're looking at it from a comfort view point but if that were the case I wouldn't own a Camaro..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
The Ring time represents the best time the manufacture's best driver could get after repeated attempts over a period of days, weeks or months.

The manufactures spend considerable time and dollars to refine a car to shave a few second and the cost is past on to the consumer. Its a reflection of how dialed in a car will feel.

The average guy won't use a ZL1 or Z/28's balance, 0-60 or braking capabilities on a daily basis but dismissing it all as irrelevant to us mere mortals is just another form of snobbery. IMO Remember, "competition amongst manufactures benefits all".

Perhaps you'd just have us go back to the days of mere appearance kits on a base SS.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #97
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
You also need to consider the drivers. They all may be pro drivers, but can still be many sec apart. Just look at NASCAR, the top drivers are way faster then the bottom dwellers, but there all considered Pro's. So unless you get the same driver for all cars, the times are not really relevant against each other. I put more weight in track times when I see Randy Probst running each car.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #98
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
You also need to consider the drivers. They all may be pro drivers, but can still be many sec apart. Just look at NASCAR, the top drivers are way faster then the bottom dwellers, but there all considered Pro's. So unless you get the same driver for all cars, the times are not really relevant against each other. I put more weight in track times when I see Randy Probst running each car.
yup!
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote