Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #85
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Not perfect, I just try my best to minimize my misteaks.
99.7% of the time im middle to slowest car on the street.
Im getting a detector soon. Better to have one and not need it then to need one and not have it.

You may drive slow but i would bet both of my camaros you speed at some point. Just like you said no one is perfect.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:05 AM   #86
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
Quote:
But your Camaro has a Speed warning setting that you can set at 5 over and will warn you if you go over. So you don't need one in your Camaro for that purpose.
This.

Roto-Fab CAI-Ported Throttle Body-Black Ice Isolator-Flow Master Axle Back-RX-Catch Can-Hurst Short Throw Shifter-Trifecta Tune\Ghost Cam

Phantom Billet Grill-Billet Fuel Door-Side Gills-Headlight Armor Black Out Kit-Zenik Rims-Lowering Springs-MGP Caliper Covers-Dome\Trunk\Footwell Lighting.
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #87
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zissophiss View Post
I guess it kind of depends on the mood of the cop that stops you.
depends a lot on what type of cop stops you too. city cops and state troopers are assholes plain and simple. most local cops are good. VA really isn't that bad, you just don't want to be flying down the interstates. especially at the NC/VA line, and beltway around Richmond, 295 I think. cops park every 2 miles there. NOVA isn't nearly so bad, so long as your not being stupid.

the nice thing about most cops in VA is the tend to let you do what everyone else is. if traffic is moving 15 miles over the limit they just let it go by. where your screwed is if you that car that weaving in and out of traffic passing everybody going 10 miles faster than every car on the road; or if you flying down the road with nobody else. easy target.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #88
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
The real kicker about Virginia is that going 80 is a reckless driving charge and carries about the same sentence as a first-time DUI. .
and going more than 20 mph over the speed limit is also reckless. though I've never known anybody to get charged that way.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #89
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz View Post
This.
Never played with speed warning setting, does it automatically adjust for different speed limits? I doubt it and if a cop wanted to, he could pull you over for going anywhere above the speed limit. I tend to always do about 5 over and yes occasionally more. If I have to pass a dump truck, I am not going to ease up on it! If my detector goes off, I'll back down, wait for it, you can figure the rest out!
Old 04-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #90
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zissophiss View Post
I definitely speed. I didn't buy a Camaro to drive like my grandmother. .

so there's noting between speeding and driving like your grandmother?
Old 04-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #91
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Never played with speed warning setting, does it automatically adjust for different speed limits? I doubt it and if a cop wanted to, he could pull you over for going anywhere above the speed limit. I tend to always do about 5 over and yes occasionally more. If I have to pass a dump truck, I am not going to ease up on it! If my detector goes off, I'll back down, wait for it, you can figure the rest out!
No, it does not self adjust. I have mine set on 80...... No problems with the 2 Camaros I have owned.

I have seen lots of people driving along about 10 over or more and pass me, their detector goes off they slow down to 5 under and I pass them, and then about a mile or two down the road they pass me again.... 9 times out of 10 by driving like I do and not being the fastest car on the road ( but still doing 5-10 over) when I see a cop he already has someone pulled over. Usually its someone that passed me a few minutes earlier. And when he doesn't have someone pulled over he's waiting on a bigger fish to fry.... Also be careful at the end of the month and stick closer to the limit....
Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #92
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Quote:
No, it does not self adjust. I have mine set on 80...... No problems with the 2 Camaros I have owned.

I have seen lots of people driving along about 10 over or more and pass me, their detector goes off they slow down to 5 under and I pass them, and then about a mile or two down the road they pass me again.... 9 times out of 10 by driving like I do and not being the fastest car on the road ( but still doing 5-10 over) when I see a cop he already has someone pulled over. Usually its someone that passed me a few minutes earlier. And when he doesn't have someone pulled over he's waiting on a bigger fish to fry.... Also be careful at the end of the month and stick closer to the limit....
Thanks for the info, I was to lazy to look that up. Thing is, sometimes a LEO will shoot radar on this one road and the speed limit is 45. A lot of cars seem to exceed that, I pretty much don't, but sometimes I might! I generally do 5 over on the Interstate and I hate when someone catches me, blows on by and then 15 minutes latter I am passing them again. I didn't change my speed. Couple times of that and off I go!
Old 04-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #93
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I was to lazy to look that up. Thing is, sometimes a LEO will shoot radar on this one road and the speed limit is 45. A lot of cars seem to exceed that, I pretty much don't, but sometimes I might! I generally do 5 over on the Interstate and I hate when someone catches me, blows on by and then 15 minutes latter I am passing them again. I didn't change my speed. Couple times of that and off I go!
The road in front of my house has a speed limit of 30, but most people do more. The cops won't stop you though unless you are doing over 40. Many will do way over 40 though because its about a 1 mile straight, sometimes when backing out of my driveway I will see someone way down the road but by the time I get pulled out and start to pull off they are on top of me. Those are definitely going more than 40.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #94
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Maybe I'm paranoid because of my car and color
Old 04-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #95
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
Quote:

They don't automatically have monthly quotas. Its more like every quarter of the year. State Trooper told my boss this once.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #96
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Maybe I'm paranoid because of my car and color
I've always heard that red and yellow sporty cars we're the worst colors for being pulled over. I've been stopped twice for speeding. One was a 76 dark blue Malibu with a 305V8 and the other was in a 74 dark green Vega Estate Wagon. I have owned a red Camaro, Yellow Camaro, bright green Camaro, a silver 65 Corvette Sting Ray, a blue Saturn Sky and a red Saturn Sky, all I have gotten from cops in those were a few thumbs ups....
Old 04-19-2015, 06:43 AM   #97
1hevy_chevy

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2016 6M 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapote21 View Post
All I have to say is I love FL... Radar detectors, legal...Tint, legal... Front plate, not required... Driving around with colored halos (except red and blue), legal... Emissions testing, nope... Heaven? possibly...
South florida traffic? Doomed.
1hevy_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #98
STLRICK

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS w/2SS
Yes, they will take it and give you a ticket. GEICO is based there in Virgina Beach so they buy the detector's for the police departments.
STLRICK is offline   Reply With Quote