Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #85
ucHuskies

Drives: 2014 SS/RS Blue Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4545 View Post
I just want to say this again to those of you who use this on public roads......

This device is powered by the isolated 5 volt reference bank of your ECM. These are not true inputs as they measure the amount of current it takes to maintain 5 volts on the output side of the circuit. You have attached a device of unknown and inconsistent current draw to BOTH SIDES OF A CRITICAL AND REDUNDANT CIRCUIT. The car will not be able to recognize a mismatch between the two sides of the circuit now that this device controls both of them.

Good luck realizing what is happening and putting it into neutral in the fraction of a second it will take to smash into the car in front of you.

This is one of the reasons they want to make it illegal to work on your own car. With all the knowledge on this board how come nobody seems to care how the ECM works and how it does what it does. Not a single thread regarding somebody taking the cover off it to look and learn its just a "magical black box" that's programmed never to kill you.
This is concerning and in my opinion should be given consideration. Based on some of Ahmed's previous posts, I was under the impression that the car was still able to monitor both the output and the pedal sensor position, and would reduce power if anything went wrong. Are you saying that this is not necessarily the case? Have you done a tear down to check inside (I'd be happy to provide pics but do not have the expertise).

Would be great to hear a comment from Ahmed on this.
ucHuskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #86
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucHuskies View Post
This is concerning and in my opinion should be given consideration. Based on some of Ahmed's previous posts, I was under the impression that the car was still able to monitor both the output and the pedal sensor position, and would reduce power if anything went wrong. Are you saying that this is not necessarily the case? Have you done a tear down to check inside (I'd be happy to provide pics but do not have the expertise).

There is a fail safe to put the car into reduced power mode. the guy you quoted is another uneducated poster about the VTC. He obviously doesn't have one and also didn't "tear one down", to see how they really work.

It's been how long since this has been out? I think I was one of the first to try this out and own one. I have had no issues and have yet to hear anyone be in an accident because of the VTC. Only recently a poster had an issue, and guess what, it went to reduced power mode.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #87
BkinBlk

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
I just put the VTC in my Camaro this weekend....LOVE IT. I have the V6 Automatic and it feels like a completely different car. It will spin the tires and set you back in the seat, and not just from a stop, either. WELL WORTH THE $180 !!!!
BkinBlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #88
Botrod

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS Vert
I'm sure this is personal preference but is everyone mostly running on sp5? I just ordered mine and want to be prepared. I'm not looking to spin the tires off the thing just get rid of that hesitation.
Botrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:18 AM   #89
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botrod View Post
I'm sure this is personal preference but is everyone mostly running on sp5? I just ordered mine and want to be prepared. I'm not looking to spin the tires off the thing just get rid of that hesitation.
it's just a click of a button to change the setting. so start off on sp1, and work your way up. You can change the setting on the fly.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #90
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botrod View Post
I float between sp5, sp6.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #91
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
SP5 for me seems to work the best on the V8.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #92
fastjohnny

I agree sp5
fastjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #93
BkinBlk

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
If there is no difference between SP0 and SP9 (Speaking of fuel mileage), then why not leave it on SP9? Unless you have no control over your own foot..... Besides, depending on where you have it mounted, can be dangerous to take your eyes off the road to change it on the fly......just my two cents.
BkinBlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #94
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
I still don't know, it would be great if vitesse would post a schematic of it minus the code running on the microcontroller of course, that wouldn't give away any secrets to the Chinese. If I saw that the two references weren't tied, and there is not excessive current drain, and the components they used have data sheets that show the expected useable life is up to automotive standards (sure nobody has problems YET, give it time), THEN I will STFU about it.

And just so everybody knows why I'm so fervent about this, I was the guy who designed the tooling that screwed together the Toyota pedal position sensor, you know the one I'm talking about, so I tend to be cautious when it comes to runaway throttles.
KR4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #95
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
email Ahmed or give him a call. I been messing around with it for a few days seriously is one of the best mods to date and I have a show car with a ton of mods.
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #96
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BkinBlk View Post
If there is no difference between SP0 and SP9 (Speaking of fuel mileage), then why not leave it on SP9? Unless you have no control over your own foot..... Besides, depending on where you have it mounted, can be dangerous to take your eyes off the road to change it on the fly......just my two cents.
All this is is an exponential modifier. Sp9 would be like having 100% negative expo, meaning ALL the throttle butterfly movement(from idle to wot) would be in the first, like 10-25 % of the throttle pedal throw. It's hard to explain. You just have to try one. I've driven sp9. Sure, the throw your head back feel is wicked, but every day drivability practically goes away.
I am quite certain that the factory throttle control in the ecu programs a bit of positive expo to soften the throttle response in the midrange of the butterfly. Sp5/6 makes the throttle feel like it's a direct push/pull cable from the pedal to throttle body. I think that's why it 'feels' best.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #97
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucHuskies View Post

Yes, as explained on a few different Threads before:

All newer cars with Drive-by-wire systems do have a fail-safe mode, in our Camaros, it's the "Reduced Engine Power" : Whenever the car detects something not right, even the slightest Voltage difference between your Gas pedal sensor and the Throttle Body sensor, the CEL and the Reduced Engine power will be On. This is a built-in safety feature constantly making sure that the car is accelerating or doing exactly what you're asking it to do.

The slightest Voltage difference and the car will go to the "Fail-safe Mode"

On top of this safety feature. We've also built into our Controller the following:
Whenever it detects something wrong with the Controller: ( Wiring Connection / other components, the Controller will default to SP0 ( Stock mode ).
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #98
ucHuskies

Drives: 2014 SS/RS Blue Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon670 View Post
Yes, as explained on a few different Threads before:

All newer cars with Drive-by-wire systems do have a fail-safe mode, in our Camaros, it's the "Reduced Engine Power" : Whenever the car detects something not right, even the slightest Voltage difference between your Gas pedal sensor and the Throttle Body sensor, the CEL and the Reduced Engine power will be On. This is a built-in safety feature constantly making sure that the car is accelerating or doing exactly what you're asking it to do.

The slightest Voltage difference and the car will go to the "Fail-safe Mode"

On top of this safety feature. We've also built into our Controller the following:
Whenever it detects something wrong with the Controller: ( Wiring Connection / other components, the Controller will default to SP0 ( Stock mode ).
Thank you for the response. It's great that you are here to address our concerns within our discussion! I'll also mention that I love my VTC and am interested in these answers because I want to feel 100% comfortable with it on since I think it's a great mod.

Would you mind also addressing KR4545 concern (below)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR4545
This device is powered by the isolated 5 volt reference bank of your ECM. These are not true inputs as they measure the amount of current it takes to maintain 5 volts on the output side of the circuit. You have attached a device of unknown and inconsistent current draw to BOTH SIDES OF A CRITICAL AND REDUNDANT CIRCUIT. The car will not be able to recognize a mismatch between the two sides of the circuit now that this device controls both of them.
ucHuskies is offline   Reply With Quote