Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #967
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Would you include LT1 in this ("best") category as well?
Seems like an incredibly capable engine from what I've read thus far, with torque being very close to LS7's. Thanks.
From what I know the LT1 is an awesome engine. But I have "love" for the LS7 .

LS3 is an awesome engine.

At some point the debate can go to whether or not a OHV or OHC makes a better engine.

Looking at all the hardware in the LS7, I'm not sure there is much better out there. I think that within the bounds of all the requirements it's about as good as GM can do with a large displacement V8 and very little cost pressure.

With CAFE there dictating the future and global business pressures, will we see an evolution of the LS7 engine? An L"T"7? I would very much be interested to see that.

But within "mass production" guidelines and cost structures, I think 450 HP V8s (LT1 and Ford's Coyote) may be the pinnacle of affordable HP in performance cars.

I don't think we are going to see a loss of performance like we did in the early 70s and again in the early 80s due to emissions and FE pressure. But I think we will see changes in the "propulsion system" in our performance cars. Now it remains completely possible that GM will find a way through this. They did starting in the mid to late 90s through today. But in 10 or 20 years, we may see electrons doing more of the work.

I remember the C5 Z06 popping over the 400 HP line and that was a big deal. Now we see the LT1 putting out 450 HP, getting pretty incredible FE numbers in the Corvette and setting a new standard.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #968
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
Of course its $75k, a lot of the online chatter speculated that it would be that high, and seemed like the majority that are interested in a Z28 seemed content with the price, so why would GM short their-selves.
Given the track times, and whats in the car, its probably worth it to those that can afford it, but for me its still a Camaro if I could spend $75k on a car I don't think it would be this one.

Not hating, I think its a awesome car and I can't wait to see one rolling down the street, just my opinion.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #969
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
From what I know the LT1 is an awesome engine. But I have "love" for the LS7 .

LS3 is an awesome engine.

At some point the debate can go to whether or not a OHV or OHC makes a better engine.

Looking at all the hardware in the LS7, I'm not sure there is much better out there. I think that within the bounds of all the requirements it's about as good as GM can do with a large displacement V8 and very little cost pressure.

With CAFE there dictating the future and global business pressures, will we see an evolution of the LS7 engine? An L"T"7? I would very much be interested to see that.

But within "mass production" guidelines and cost structures, I think 450 HP V8s (LT1 and Ford's Coyote) may be the pinnacle of affordable HP in performance cars.

I don't think we are going to see a loss of performance like we did in the early 70s and again in the early 80s due to emissions and FE pressure. But I think we will see changes in the "propulsion system" in our performance cars. Now it remains completely possible that GM will find a way through this. They did starting in the mid to late 90s through today. But in 10 or 20 years, we may see electrons doing more of the work.

I remember the C5 Z06 popping over the 400 HP line and that was a big deal. Now we see the LT1 putting out 450 HP, getting pretty incredible FE numbers in the Corvette and setting a new standard.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts - good stuff! I also think the LS6 is an awesome motor - obviously getting aged now but still a contender even after all those years and with incredible gas mileage to boot LS7 quite a step up and LT1 carries a promise if something truly special. Thx again.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #970
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by mst504 View Post
Of course its $75k, a lot of the online chatter speculated that it would be that high, and seemed like the majority that are interested in a Z28 seemed content with the price, so why would GM short their-selves.
Given the track times, and whats in the car, its probably worth it to those that can afford it, but for me its still a Camaro if I could spend $75k on a car I don't think it would be this one.

Not hating, I think its a awesome car and I can't wait to see one rolling down the street, just my opinion.
Still a camaro? and what's wrong with that ? What car would you buy?
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #971
goat-ee
Account Suspended

Drives: Modded
As a casual observer of Camaro's in general, and a Mustang guy in particular, I have followed the Boss 302 and like it a lot. Heard about a LS7 Camaro coming out and named the Z/28. I thought hey that is cool, it should smoke the Boss and it shouldn't be much more expensive than a Boss.

$75K freaking dollars for a Camaro!?!$!$ Your kidding right? It's beyond me why anyone is buying a Camaro? SS is smoked by the GT. ZL1 is way smoked by the GT500. And then after it's too late, they are coming out with an answer to the Boss 302 that costs $30K more? Will it smoke the Boss? Yes, but it's priced in another stratosphere.

To top it all off, the new 2015 looks better than ever, weighs 2-300lbs less, and by most accounts the base GT will have a minimum of 465 horsepower, with some speculation of it touching 500. The 15' Mustang looks more like Corvette competition than Camaro to me.

Oh, and please spare me the it has IRS, better handling, interior, etc. argument. In the stoplight grandprix, it's no contest, and that's the only race that matters. Just like from 98-2002, when that was the hands down advantage to the Camaro/Firebird twins. Besides, in 15' those arguments goes away too.

Last edited by goat-ee; 01-12-2014 at 12:46 AM.
goat-ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:04 AM   #972
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat-ee View Post
As a casual observer of Camaro's in general, and a Mustang guy in particular, I have followed the Boss 302 and like it a lot. Heard about a LS7 Camaro coming out and named the Z/28. I thought hey that is cool, it should smoke the Boss and it shouldn't be much more expensive than a Boss.

$75K freaking dollars for a Camaro!?!$!$ Your kidding right? It's beyond me why anyone is buying a Camaro? SS is smoked by the GT. ZL1 is way smoked by the GT500. And then after it's too late, they are coming out with an answer to the Boss 302 that costs $30K more? Will it smoke the Boss? Yes, but it's priced in another stratosphere.

To top it all off, the new 2015 looks better than ever, weighs 2-300lbs less, and by most accounts the base GT will have a minimum of 465 horsepower, with some speculation of it touching 500. The 15' Mustang looks more like Corvette competition than Camaro to me.

Oh, and please spare me the it has IRS, better handling, interior, etc. argument. In the stoplight grandprix, it's no contest, and that's the only race that matters. Just like from 98-2002, when that was the hands down advantage to the Camaro/Firebird twins. Besides, in 15' those arguments goes away too.
Wow, welcome to the forum.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #973
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:

Is the world you live in cool? Lot's of bright lights and colors??? Ford makes great cars as well as Chevy but saying the things you say comparing the SS and the ZL1 to their Ford counterparts has lost you instant credibility on this forum which is not easy to do in your first post. Well done. Now back to your oval boy forum so the adults can get back to talking.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #974
goat-ee
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Is the world you live in cool? Lot's of bright lights and colors??? Ford makes great cars as well as Chevy but saying the things you say comparing the SS and the ZL1 to their Ford counterparts has lost you instant credibility on this forum which is not easy to do in your first post. Well done. Now back to your oval boy forum so the adults can get back to talking.
Which part is incorrect? I would be happy to correct any inaccuracies.

The GT has basically the same HP as an SS with WAY less weight and nobody that is unbiased would really argue that stock for stock it's a race. If you hang out at a drag strip like I do, you wouldn't be able to justify any other point of view.

And to argue the ZL1 is even in the same league horsepower wise with a 13' up GT500 is just silly.

Maybe I just expected the wrong thing from the Z/28? I will always think of a Z as an everymans track car with a high winding smallblock. As it was originally and as the Boss was originally and was in the later models (12 & 13). Instead I guess it's more like the Mustang Cobra R's. Too expensive for anyone other than collectors and diehard racers.

I'm not questioning the car is impressive, but really it's a stripped down SS with killer suspension, brakes and God's own 427 . How does that justify a $40k premium over a SS?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #975
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I think the problem that has been rampant between the Ford guys with the Mustang vs. The Chevy guys with the Camaro is that (in general) the Ford guys don't understand that with the 5th Gen Camaro we stopped talking 1/4 mile and started talking Road Course.

All of the Mustangs you mentioned are looking at Camaro tail lights going around a road course.

We concede that without work the Camaro is slower down the 1/4. It just was built for something else. Just like I have a buddy with an '06 Roush Mustang. That thing gets whipped by Minis around a short track. Handling is not it's forte. He's putting 425/390 to the ground but he desperately needs wheels/tires, brake, coil over's, sway bars.

The Mustang is like a Camaro in reverse. It is a 1/4 mile beast that needs work to go around a road course. A Camaro is a road course beast that needs work to go down a 1/4 mile.

When your new Mustang hits the street it will change the language you guys speak and the guys with the older Stangs will be confused why it isn't just like the old ones going down the 1/4.

Oh and I predict the new Stang will weigh more than the last one very close to a 5th Gen Camaro and come in under 450/425. If you don't see the probability of that, you have to take off your blinders.

Also, and this is subjective but the Camaro looks way better than either the current or new Mustang.

With that I bid you Good Day Sir. Now go away... lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited by Firefighter; 01-12-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #976
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:

Did you get lost?

This site's 2015 Mustang discussion is here. FWIW, I wouldn't even post that much speculation on any of the Mustang sites I belong to.

When you grow up some more, maybe you'll realize that the stoplight GP is the absolute least important measure of performance.

But for an event rescheduling decision, I'd be running around a road course in my '08 GT right now instead of posting here.

25 minutes at a time between about 45 - 50 in the tighter corners and 120 mph down the front straight is so much better than 5 seconds of street racing that there is no comparison.

A ZL1 owner was also scheduled to attend . . .

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-12-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #977
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Which part is incorrect? I would be happy to correct any inaccuracies.

The GT has basically the same HP as an SS with WAY less weight and nobody that is unbiased would really argue that stock for stock it's a race. If you hang out at a drag strip like I do, you wouldn't be able to justify any other point of view.

And to argue the ZL1 is even in the same league horsepower wise with a 13' up GT500 is just silly.

Maybe I just expected the wrong thing from the Z/28? I will always think of a Z as an everymans track car with a high winding smallblock. As it was originally and as the Boss was originally and was in the later models (12 & 13). Instead I guess it's more like the Mustang Cobra R's. Too expensive for anyone other than collectors and diehard racers.

I'm not questioning the car is impressive, but really it's a stripped down SS with killer suspension, brakes and God's own 427 . How does that justify a $40k premium over a SS?
there is more to a car than hp. Nearly every magazine that has done a head to head comparison of the ZL1 and GT500 has picked the ZL1 as the best overall performance / muscle car. The ZL1 has also bested the GT500 on most of the significant road courses while the GT has the better of the ZL1 at the strip. They are both great cars but saying the GT is a hands down better car than the ZL1 is just the opinion of Ford fan, not car fan. Please go back to where you belong, with your own kind where simple minds rule and kool aid flows freely while facts are dismissed as annoying. I believe Norm provided you directions in his post above. Now, back to intelligent discussion.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #978
goat-ee
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I think the problem that has been rampant between the Ford guys with the Mustang vs. The Chevy guys with the Camaro is that (in general) the Ford guys don't understand that with the 5th Gen Camaro we stopped talking 1/4 mile and started talking Road Course.

All of the Mustangs you mentioned are looking at Camaro tail lights going around a road course.

We concede that without work the Camaro is slower down the 1/4. It just was built for something else. Just like I have a buddy with an '06 Roush Mustang. That thing gets whipped by Minis around a short track. Handling is not it's forte. He's putting 425/390 to the ground but he desperately needs wheels/tires, brake, coil over's.

The Mustang is like a Camaro in reverse. It is a 1/4 mile beast that needs work to go around a road course. A Camaro is a road course beast that needs work to go down a 1/4 mile.

When your new Mustang hits the street it will change the language you guys speak and the guys with the older Stangs will be confused why it isn't just like the old ones going down the 1/4.

Oh and I predict the new Stang will weigh more than the last one very close to a 5th Gen Camaro and come in under 450/425. If you don't see the probability of that you have to take off your blinders.

Also this is subjective but the Camaro looks way better than either the current or new Mustang.

With that I bid you good day sir. Now go away... lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Now I see your point of view. You (and others) enjoy your car for what it can do, not for what it can't.

As far as weight on the new 15' Mustang. NOBODY says it will be heavier, and I mean NOBODY!! Don't take my word for it though, if you would do minimal research you will see what i'm saying is true. Not every car has to weigh 4k pounds (see Corvette, current Mustang).

And as for the 14' and under Mustangs getting left in the dust? When that time comes they will be used cars, but it won't sting as much, but your right about that. Now tell me, where does that leave the so-called prettier, now way slower and not quicker on a road course, and at that point antiquated show room fresh Camaro's?

So besides stating completely true FACTS, is there another reason you would prefer I stay off your site?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #979
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Now I see your point of view. You (and others) enjoy your car for what it can do, not for what it can't.

As far as weight on the new 15' Mustang. NOBODY says it will be heavier, and I mean NOBODY!! Don't take my word for it though, if you would do minimal research you will see what i'm saying is true. Not every car has to weigh 4k pounds (see Corvette, current Mustang).

And as for the 14' and under Mustangs getting left in the dust? When that time comes they will be used cars, but it won't sting as much, but your right about that. Now tell me, where does that leave the so-called prettier, now way slower and not quicker on a road course, and at that point antiquated show room fresh Camaro's?

So besides stating completely true FACTS, is there another reason you would prefer I stay off your site?
Yep...you share no appreciation for all pony cars now go enjoy your butt ugly car

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #980
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:

Because you are a TROLL!!

Post in the proper topic forum with your obviously mustang biased opinion like your supposed to on our wonderful Camaro site that is governed by OUR rules or just go away.
Simple.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 01-12-2014 at 09:51 AM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote