Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #1009
Fat_Nick

Drives: 04 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I'm curious as to how many people will actually buy an automatic ZL1, as opposed to how many people indicated that they would like an automatic to be available for those who actually will buy it.
^this.

Quote:
I will buy a manual ZL1, but I think Chevrolet should offer an automatic for those who want one, if it doesn't make the car more difficult to manufacture or more expensive to produce.

Really how much harder would it be for them to remove the man pedal and drop in an
6L80E?

RK Sports Rear Valance|Banshee Hood|WSC SAP Grills & Front Fascia|VX Tails|Spoiler Delete|DDM HID|Alpine & JL Audio ICE|Monster Stage 3|GMM Street/LSS/Hurst|TxSpd-MS4 CAM & 100mm MAF|SLP UD Pulley|Custom Exhaust|Kooks LT|SNL Custom 4" CAI|PRC Stage 1 Heads|WRP & SSEEYA Ported FAST 92mm IMF|92mm FAST TB|Phoenix Tuned 474.4whp 410 ft/lbs

New Project Vehicle Coming Soon
Fat_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #1010
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
I will buy a manual ZL1, but I think Chevrolet should offer an automatic for those who want one, if it doesn't make the car more difficult to manufacture or more expensive to produce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Nick View Post
Really how much harder would it be for them to remove the man pedal and drop in an 6L80E?
The cost is of adding an automatic transmission to the option list of the ZL1 is not only limited to the differences required in the actual assembly process of the vehicle, but also includes the additional cost of testing and validating the automatic transmission for use in the vehicle.

Any time another item is added to the option list, the testing and validation process becomes more complex, more expensive, and more time consuming.
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #1011
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Nick View Post
^this.

Really how much harder would it be for them to remove the man pedal and drop in an
6L80E?
They wouldn't stick a 6L80 in there - it'd be a 6L90 (90). Even then, I'm not so sure, because since it's my opinion ZL1 will have power closer to 600, when released, and the 90 is so close (in terms of max' power/torque capacity) to it's apparent limits, that GM might not be able to stick a slushbox in ZL1. I just don't see them building a upgraded 90 for just one or two cars; the only transmission that goes along these lines, to me, were the 4L65/70, but those were spread across more vehicles, like the Trailblazer SS, if I remember correctly. I do expect to see bumps in power for CTS-V and ZR1 in the next few years, so maybe they will upgrade the 90. I've also read comments about how transmissions (and such) are rated, and there are more than a single factor, that plays into the ratings (i.e. weight of the vehicle, application, etc.), so I'm not sure the 90 couldn't handle what I believe ZL1 will become (I think it's going to come in less than 4100 lbs.).

I have nothing but speculation, however; nothing to back this up.

Quote:
The cost is of adding an automatic transmission to the option list of the ZL1 is not only limited to the differences required in the actual assembly process of the vehicle, but also includes the additional cost of testing and validating the automatic transmission for use in the vehicle.

Any time another item is added to the option list, the testing and validation process becomes more complex, more expensive, and more time consuming.
While A6 ZL1s may be limited, I think there may be a chance of stealing sales from GT500 buyers who don't want to drive stick. While I don't know that there are many, I think there may be individuals, who aren't as brand-loyal as many of us are, that could go either way, depending on what car fits their needs better.

All I know is, is that it would be a tough choice for me

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 AM   #1012
FreddyG

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
Quote:

The trans has already been tested in the CTS-V. It's the same motor and also, there are quite a few CTS-V' s out there putting out 600+ RWHP and not having any problems, so I can't see why this would be ay different. I could be wrong though.

Besides, even with the little bit of R&D that might be needed, they'll more than make that up in sales! Break even point will come quickly!
FreddyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 AM   #1013
OverZeaLouS

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS & 16 acura TLX
Automated manual. Dual clutch transmission. (DCT)
OverZeaLouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #1014
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Everyone keep talking about having to validate the A6 and the associated costs.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the engine in the V6 wasn't validated until the second year and it gave the a bump in the HP

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #1015
Viral

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
I think you're confusing two separate issues. SAE engine certification hasn't been brought up before as far as I know. The costs involved that I'm aware of have to do with both stocking the separate parts and retooling and configuring the assembly line to build both a manual and auto for a car that will be produced and sold in very limited numbers. People tend to point to super exotics with high tech auto transmissions, but how many assembly line made, limited production vehicles actually offer a CHOICE of transmissions? That, to me, is where the production costs outweigh the benefits.

Last edited by Viral; 05-26-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #1016
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyG View Post
The trans has already been tested in the CTS-V. It's the same motor and also, there are quite a few CTS-V' s out there putting out 600+ RWHP and not having any problems, so I can't see why this would be any different. I could be wrong though.

Besides, even with the little bit of R&D that might be needed, they'll more than make that up in sales! Break even point will come quickly!
Validating a transmission in one vehicle doesn't validate it for use in another vehicle with different suspension, gearing, weight, accessories, tires, etc. Validation must occur for each individual vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
I think you're confusing two separate issues. SAE engine certification hasn't been brought up before as far as I know. The costs involved that I'm aware of have to do with both stocking the separate parts and retooling and configuring the assembly line to build both a manual and auto for a car that will be produced and sold in very limited numbers. People tend to point to super exotics with high tech auto transmissions, but how many assembly line made, limited production vehicle actually offer a CHOICE of transmissions? That, to me, is where the costs no longer outweigh the benefits.
Correct. Validation is separate and apart from SAE certification. Validation means that the vehicle as equipped has been tested and validated to perform as designed under conditions it is expected incur as used by the customer over the vehicle's expected lifespan.
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #1017
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Still nothing!!!
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #1018
alcal1084

Drives: 2012 45TH AE SS
everybody needs to stop talking about the R&D of an auto trans. if GM can justify making a CTS-V wagon with all the R&D they had to do on that thing, then there is NO justifiable reason they cant have an auto trans in this car... further more while the CTS-V offers the auto there is no difference in price if you want it you can have it!!! now the ONLY reason for them to not offer the auto in this car is if they want it to be more like the GT500 or ZO6 and ZR1 but ultimately they made up there minds long before this thread was even thought of, and those of us sill waiting for an answer... lets just keep waiting!!!
alcal1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #1019
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Still nothing!!!
I know it's brutal but trust me we will know soon.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 PM   #1020
Ltespd

Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
Quote:
alca1084...the ONLY reason for them to not offer the auto in this car is if they want it to be more like the GT500 or ZO6 and ZR1
Exactly! Thats why I've always thought we wouldn't see an auto.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #1021
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine

I don't know if anyone has brought this up before, but If you check out this video and listen carefully around the 31-32 second mark, it sure sounds like this ZL1 has an automatic. IF this is the real audio from the real ZL1, then this should put this debate to rest. Did Gm accidentally tip their hand on this one?
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #1022
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post

I don't know if anyone has brought this up before, but If you check out this video and listen carefully around the 31-32 second mark, it sure sounds like this ZL1 has an automatic. IF this is the real audio from the real ZL1, then this should put this debate to rest. Did Gm accidentally tip their hand on this one?
First time I have seen that......

That was a pretty quick shift.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote