Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 07-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #99
ardailsmith

Drives: 2012 2LT LFX A6 RS Black on Black
I got the Automatic because it is a 6 speed transmission, You can manually control it when you want. You get remote start and cool paddle shifters like all the Hot Euro super cars and F1s. If you think F1s are not fast because they have autos, then you believe that real race tracks have only left turns.

What is it with you V8, M6 people always trying to start something with the V6, A6 crowd.

Always going on about the only real Camaro is a V8 the only real Camaro is a Manuel.

Why is it I never hear you say the only real Camaro has a solid rear axle, The only real Camaro is a normally aspirated 4 barrel. Magnetic shocks, that's not a Camaro thats a 300zx. Heads-Up Display that's not a Camaro that's a 1988 5th Gen Olds Cutlass Supreme.

Why don't I ever hear that?

I drive an A6 because I shift when I want to not because I have to.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #100
SnowVert

Drives: Inferno Orange 2013 SS/RS LS3 6M
Manual, because I've only had one auto in the past 20 years and I was bored with it quickly.

Manual forces you to pay attention to what you are doing when you drive. It doesn't allow you to zone out and start day dreaming. it keeps you involved in the art of driving and therefore, keeps you safer while doing it.
SnowVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #101
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I haven't driven an A6 camaro but I have driven a '10 2500 with a 6.0 and the same A6. When you put that in manual mode and floor it you hit the red line or whatever shift point you want, there is a MASSIVE lag between hitting the button and the actual shift leaving you bouncing off the rev limiter like an amateur. I know its a truck but its the same transmission and I knew there was no way I was going to buy one. Not to mention the drive by wire with the auto has sooo much lag it almost unbearable. With a M6 its hardly noticable. This is also one of the biggest reasons I didn't buy a truck, because it doesn't have an option for a stick.
Plus I think you all know the look when someone says nice car, but then looks closer and sees an automatic transmission, you know that look of disappointment :screwy:

Driving a stick is second nature for me. I drove an auto for a few months while I was in between cars and I was sooo bored with it. I hated it. I'd take a stick in stop and go traffic any day of the week over an auto.

I was amazed that it was actually hard to find an SS camaro with a stick. Its a sports car, and it needs to be driven like one. You can't connect with the road through a slush box.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #102
SolomonAKOO

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I also have a M6, i just get so bored with the autos! And they are just a lot funner than driving a Automatic imo
Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #103
Stealth6

Drives: '17 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
Manual....because I didn't want to give GM an extra $1,000 to take away a huge part of the driving experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Manual......Because who wants to spend $1195 to lose 26 horsepower?

These were the BEST two reasons!
After all.... it's a Camaro... not a minivan.
Stealth6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #104
dkg11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Manual and the exact reason... i got my car when i was 16 and the first thing my dad said was look its the V-8... but its manual if your gonna get a car like this you need to learn how to drive it like a real man... never been happier
Custom tune by Bob Morreale www.thetuningschool.com
QTP Electronic Exhaust cut-outs
12'' Alpine type R with 1500watts double ported box
Tinted windows
392RWHP on Mustang Dyno
dkg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #105
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
I have auto because of the amount of traffic here & the deal I got on the car, I bought from a private seller. Not gonna lie though, sometimes I do kinda wish I had stick just because it's more engaging & is kinda fun to drive. The pros of an auto just outweighed the cons for me personally. I definitely see the benefits of both though. I'm just happy to have a camaro at all.

If I ever end up with a V8 camaro it will be manual.
JN3WMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #106
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLSlim View Post
Auto, for all the stop and go traffic in Northern Virginia...
I feel you bro. I'm at the beach but I go up to fairfax/dulles area a lot also. The traffic is insane.
JN3WMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #107
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveg56 View Post
REAL MEN LEARN HOW TO DRIVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION....

Seriously…what does transmission choice have to do with being a man or not??? Just dumb…
1) I know how to drive manual (and probably better than most of the people bragging about having manuals). My first 8 cars were all manual and I enjoyed them at the time because they were the best options at the time. Not anymore though. The automatic transmissions have progressed into a far superior option. Now its true that until GM gets a sequential gearbox like the one on BMW, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Ferrari and AMG,a trans tune is needed but is worth it.

2)What does a transmission have to do with being a man.....nothing. So go to the start of this thread and let the MT guys know this since they were the ones to bring this argument to the table.
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #108
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
I chose a manual because of the following:

1. I enjoy shifting.
2. IMHO the clutch feels great and it's the best clutch in any car I've had so far!
3. It keeps me attentive why driving.
4. I have a good excuse to not answer my cell phone or text on my cell phone while driving.
5. Less hp loss through the drivetrain compared to an auto.
6. I don't have to worry about my GF driving my car or asking to drive my car because she doesn't know how to drive a stick shift!
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #109
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
In my case, I picked manual because I wanted the LSD. I also enjoy rowing my own gears. For me it makes car ownership much more enjoyable.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #110
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Auto because i happily give up 26hp to get out of the hole and finish first then enjoy my rear view gopro vids of LS3's wheel hopping and spinning in the next lane behind me.

Sorry, but stock vs stock i went 7-0 vs LS3. 2-0 vs manual 10 Challenger SRT8. 1-0 vs 2012 manual 5-0

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #111
crateish

Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT/RS Coupe
Daily Driver. Auto. Sport mode is fun, even in traffic.

And the paddle shifters come online when there is less traffic.

If I want some 'real shifting' I can drive my wife's supercharged turbo Subaru Baja. Also a fun car.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #112
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Auto because i happily give up 26hp to get out of the hole and finish first then enjoy my rear view gopro vids of LS3's wheel hopping and spinning in the next lane behind me.

Sorry, but stock vs stock i went 7-0 vs LS3. 2-0 vs manual 10 Challenger SRT8. 1-0 vs 2012 manual 5-0
People talk really big about track runs....but who really cares about the track??? The VAST majority of Camaro driving occurs on real roads...and it's just more fun to really DRIVE the car on a real road with a M6 instead of going for a RIDE in the A6.

In my opinion....the automatic Camaro is a waste of a good car. Sorry if that is offensive, but it’s how I feel. Many will say the same about a V6 in a Camaro…but it was either a V6 or no Camaro for me, so I can understand if people got the A6 due to not being able to drive the M6.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote