Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #113
cornfield camaro

Drives: 2011 l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
well, I think the biggest problem with the US ethanol industry is that it's all based on corn. there are far better things out there to make ethanol from than corn. in addition to that, it's simply pushing up food prices. in fact, not to long ago the UN pleaded with the Obama administration to at least temporarily rescind the ethanol requirements due to the already high prices corn after the summer droughts in the US. currently, 40% of our corn crop is being turned into ethanol. that doesn't necessarily hurt a first world country like us, but it's devastating to third world countries that rely heavily on US corn. not to mention that growing all this corn in the first place is doing significant damage to the aquifer you guys out west rely on.

but, Midwest politicians like the high corn prices and money it brings. most countries with successful ethanol programs (like Brazil and Argentina) are using sugar cane and other things to make their ethanol from.
Heard of the drouth in the midwest? For many years we've had a surplus of corn with stupid low prices. Along comes ethanol to deal some surplus then comes years of floods, then drouth. The aquifer in nebraska, etc is low because of the record breaking drouth. Also, brazil and argentina have had their weather problems(poor sugar cane crop). Don't worry, as soon as the weather straightens out the prices will be in cellar again. It's the weather, not so much ethanol.
cornfield camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #114
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
when I was referring to the aquifer, I was talking about the ogallala. it spans several states and is the largest freshwater water supply in the world. It's the primary source of irrigation water for most of the cornbelt. the problem is, parts of it have been pumped dangerously low, and it's generally accepted that way too much water is being drawn out of it. the significance of that is that it was created when the glaciers melted, and can not be refilled through rain. once it's gone, it's gone and the cornbelt will once again be at the mercy of mother nature.
I know the aquifer you mentioned and it has taken so hits on its levels. It really isn't in the danger zone. MN,IA don't have much in the way if irrigation as compared to NE. In Nebraska you have to add dirt to your construction project to get above the water table. I'm talking in the eastern part that I'm familiar with. Even when we had the record drought of last summer there was no bans on lawn watering in many cities. Corn sends a tap root way down in times of need but can only go so far. That is why timely rains really dictate the crop yields. As cornfield camaro said 1 bumper crop and they practically have to give it away. The one thing I think we could all agee to on this subject is that the amount of government subsidies needs to be corraled on both fuels. I really think these larger than life companies can make a go of it without our help.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #115
10BlkSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
did anybody notice they didn't mention Chevrolet?
Well duh, Obama is pushing the gas and bailed out Chevy with our money, it would be bad policy to say im using your tax dollars to save Chevy and don't use this gas im pushing....

Maxima SE (Traded)
Camaro SS
Hummer H3
10BlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #116
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Need some clarification.

E85 has 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline where E15 has 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline. If ethanol is the culprit for causing fuel lines to become cohrosive and other major issues with vehicles, then why is it only E15 doing this with minimal amount of ethanol compared to E85 that has the most ethanol?
I'll tell you why Bernsy...

Cars that are E85 compatible have different fuel lines, tanks, etc that can withstand the corrosive effects of ethanol.

Cars that are compatible with 10% ethanol do not have the corrosion resistance fuel related parts the E85 cars have. That extra 5% in the 15% ethanol blend could definitely be a cause for concern.

Some that are running E85 in their non-compatible vehicles "with no problems" are in for a rude awakening one of these days.

Last edited by INTIMIDAT3R; 01-07-2013 at 12:15 PM.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #117
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Anything above 10% can only be used by flex fuel engines.

It isn't news if someone put 15% in a car not designed for it and it breaks.

This isn't an ethanol issue. Its a "follow directions" issue.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #118
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyBake View Post
Anything above 10% can only be used by flex fuel engines.

It isn't news if someone put 15% in a car not designed for it and it breaks.

This isn't an ethanol issue. Its a "follow directions" issue.
A widespread problem......

"AAA research reveals need for regulators and industry to suspend E15 sales to protect motorists

A recent survey by AAA finds a strong likelihood of consumer confusion and the potential for voided warranties and vehicle damage as a result of the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) recent approval of E15 gasoline. An overwhelming 95 percent of consumers surveyed have not heard of E15, a newly approved gasoline blend that contains up to 15 percent ethanol. "

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote