Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-29-2015, 11:04 AM   #113
GRAD2014RS

Drives: 2014 CAMARO 1LT RS
i bought mine for myself after i graduated college. i was the first out of my entire family to do so at a young age and i thought i deserved it

SOLD
GRAD2014RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #114
dmw56

Drives: 2014 2SS Red Hot 6M
I'm 58 and I've had Muscle Cars since 1974. I had four and don't drive them very much. Not the easiest to drive, no AC, don't want to hurt them, etc. etc. So I sold my 72 Chevelle 454 which I had put 500 miles on in 10 years after restoring it and bought a 2014 2SS. Which I have driven 6000 miles in less than a year. Way more fun to drive and comfortable too.

dmw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #115
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
Well after reading these posts I don't feel like such an old-timer anymore. LOL. When I first mentioned getting one to some buddies I heard the mid-life crisis jokes, too.

I am taking early retirement March 1, 2016 at age 62 and wanted a new car before that happened. I wanted something more exciting than what I have and loved the Camaro since I rented one, so that's what it's going to be. And it's happening within the next month or so.

Now, the one I want (2015 2LT) is a little more conservative than what some of you guys have, but it's going to be a daily-driver, and for my purposes it'll be great!
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:32 AM   #116
romeorn

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I'm 49 years old and I delayed the purchase of my new 2014 Camaro SS for many reasons. I recall at the age of 15 my step-father promising to give me the 1972 Camaro on his used car lot... It didn't happen. And I too, like many others who have posted their own reasons for not readily purchasing their Camaro; marriage, family, school, military service and lack of financial means, did not get my Camaro until now. In 2007, unwilling to wait for the 2010 release of the upcoming Camaro, purchased a used Magnet Red 2004 Corvette Z51 with 16K miles and held on to it for nearly 7 years. In 2010, with the release of the newly designed Camaro, I purchased a Camaro for my oldest son, who also had a liking for a Camaro. He's enjoyed it for a while and now has his eyes set on the new Corvette (go figure). But now came my time in 2014 (and only 40K total miles later on my Corvette)... I used the Corvette as a trade-in to get myself back into my lifelong dream of my very own Camaro. So, I've stated my delays for not obtaining my very own Camaro sooner. And now, I firmly believe it was not a middle age crisis, but rather a delay in forward progression (I would have gotten it sooner if it had not been for greater priorities in life). And yes, I miss my C5.
romeorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:13 AM   #117
khui

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS Summit White
44 going on 45....work in a pretty conservative community w/ educators. so when i pulled up in a new camaro (and previously on my harley) everyone tries to make sense out of it by saying i'm going thru a mid life crisis. i jus laugh it off and go with it...easier that way...any rebuttal will be construed as "denial" anyway...lol

gotta admit that i always wanted a camaro and this is my first one....drooled over the 87 yellow IROC-Z...but definitely luvin the gen5 stylin much more...wait was worth it!

k.
khui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:46 AM   #118
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Some jerk looked at my car this week and asked me if it was a mid-life crisis car. That got me to thinking... why DID I buy this car?

I am 53. I've had a job since I was 11 years old. That's 42 yrs of hard work, with no breaks. I got hitched when I was 24, and spent the next 24 years raising a family, buying a house, paying for college education, buying vacations for the family, keeping food on the table, paying bills.. etc. ...So, the kid graduated with a masters degree, the house was sold and a condo was purchased. I was driving a really nice pick up truck because it was practical. This winter, I had to go out of town to work and I had to rent a car. Alamo upgraded me to a really nice model. A Camaro convertible.

That was all it took! I flew back home, and, the next day, I drove to the Chevy dealer. I never asked my wife. I never told anyone. I traded the nice practical truck on a bright red SS/RS. For once, I didn't have to ask permission. I didn't have to buy a used one. I didn't have to buy a slow one because it was all I could afford. It is exactly the car I wanted, right down to the Recaro seats... and it still had the sticker in the window!

And if I want to make it loud, I will. If I want to make it faster, I'm gonna. If I want to do a burnout every morning, that's what I'll do. The only concession I made was the auto tranny, so the wife can drive it. So far, she refuses my offer of a key and I am glad..This is MY car and I earned it. (but that auto tranny was my butt saver in case things went wrong..lol)..

So, mid-life crisis car? Maybe. If it makes someone feel less jealous to call it that, then go ahead. To me, it's my reward car. It's my freedom car. I earned it.

...and it kicks ass.

Why'd you buy yours?
To which you simply reply: "Is that your didnt work hard enough, didnt study enough, regrets life decisions, so I take it out on people who Im jealous of car?"

Nice car. You deserve it.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:12 AM   #119
ba2ss

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Some jerk looked at my car this week and asked me if it was a mid-life crisis car. That got me to thinking... why DID I buy this car?

I am 53. I've had a job since I was 11 years old. That's 42 yrs of hard work, with no breaks. I got hitched when I was 24, and spent the next 24 years raising a family, buying a house, paying for college education, buying vacations for the family, keeping food on the table, paying bills.. etc. ...So, the kid graduated with a masters degree, the house was sold and a condo was purchased. I was driving a really nice pick up truck because it was practical. This winter, I had to go out of town to work and I had to rent a car. Alamo upgraded me to a really nice model. A Camaro convertible.

That was all it took! I flew back home, and, the next day, I drove to the Chevy dealer. I never asked my wife. I never told anyone. I traded the nice practical truck on a bright red SS/RS. For once, I didn't have to ask permission. I didn't have to buy a used one. I didn't have to buy a slow one because it was all I could afford. It is exactly the car I wanted, right down to the Recaro seats... and it still had the sticker in the window!

And if I want to make it loud, I will. If I want to make it faster, I'm gonna. If I want to do a burnout every morning, that's what I'll do. The only concession I made was the auto tranny, so the wife can drive it. So far, she refuses my offer of a key and I am glad..This is MY car and I earned it. (but that auto tranny was my butt saver in case things went wrong..lol)..

So, mid-life crisis car? Maybe. If it makes someone feel less jealous to call it that, then go ahead. To me, it's my reward car. It's my freedom car. I earned it.

...and it kicks ass.

Why'd you buy yours?
well deserved brother and even better you have set an example for your kid, work hard for what you want and take care of your family.
ba2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #120
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
I bought it for my wife. We've been married 26 years and she drove a 79 Camaro when we were dating. After 23 years of driving mini-vans, she deserved her 2012 RS. When all chaos is breaking loose in the house with teens and "emerging adults", she can escape to her happy place (Drivers seat).
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 AM   #121
cb66

Drives: 13 2SS/RS HWSE Camaro # 959
Ever hear the saying you only live once? Well that's how I see it. If you work for a living you should be able to have some things in life that make you happy. Camaros make me happy end of story!
cb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #122
ZiG

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I've been killing myself at work for a few years now and while I'm climbing the ladder it's been pretty stressful. I'm not sure if it's possible to have a midlife crisis at 30 but sometimes I wonder. I used to have an '86 Trans Am when I was younger and I loved it. Since then I've been driving much faster/nicer imports, which is fine, but nothing I've connected with quite like the T/A. So I decided it was time to throw practicality to the wind and get a car I'd really enjoy. One that brought me back to those earlier days but still had all the modern niceties. And I don't regret it one bit!
ZiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #123
xnuyokr

Drives: 2012 1LT Drop Top
I had a 76 Firebird when I was in the Air Force in the early 80's. (It had a 400cu two barrel. I installed an interior and front end from an 81 trans Am, had a great time working on it). My hunting and fishing steered me to Chevy Blazers and Ford Explorers from the 90s untill the present. I always wanted a big ol 1976 Eldorado Convertible and after my divorce at 52 years old I started to research them. I figured low and slow was the way to go. Although I missed my Firebird, I didn't feel the need for speed, and what better car than a big ol Cadillac for a gift to myself. I didn't want a project car that I'd have to spend more time working on than driving, and it was quickly apparent that the cars I was looking at, heck all older cars for that matter, would need work, whether it be engine, tranny, paint, interior... the list goes on and on. Even the low mileage cars were suspect, as they had sat idle for long periods of time and things rusted, seals went bad, paint faded, plastic cracked. I didn't want a money pit. (Also since they only had 5 digit odometers back then, 9 out of 10 cars were listed as having under 100,000 miles on it,....BS). So when I realized my plan to cruise "low and slow" in a Caddie drop top wasn't going to happen, I started looking at the Camaro since they had a convertible and was a real head turner... and I was hooked. Now I just had to figure out how to pay for it and keep my payments low. After much research I found the exact car I wanted that fit my budget, a low mileage, Rally Yellow 2012 1LT convertible. My payment is low enough so that when my daily driver (which is paid off) needs to be replaced I can afford the car payment. The past year with the Camaro has been amazing to say the least. Met some great people in my local car club (South East PA Camaro owners, SEPA5), been on some great cruises/meets, and after many years of work/house/kids/etc, I've been able to just slow down and tinker again, which I had gotten away from and missed. Modding this car has taken me back to my teens and twenties, back to when I can remember my dad showing me how to roll a tire onto a tire iron, then lift one end to get the tire up easily onto the lugs, (thanks Dad)! Cold Air Intake, ported throttle body, adding rally yellow vinyl on the door panels and dash, exhaust, spending an afternoon cleaning and detailing before a cruise,......it has been a blast and I enjoy getting my hands dirty again. Its more than just a car, it's a hobby, it's a way of life, its therapeutic and best of all, at a time when my 16 year old daughter would have been spending less and less time with her daddy because, well, she's 16, she is totally into muscle cars now. She goes to meets and cruises with me, points out muscle cars we pass on the road, even texts me pictures of cars she sees when shes not with me. What a fabulous unexpected bonus to driving such a great car....... quality time with my daughter ......Priceless! Mid Life crisis ???? Yes I've heard that a few times this past year. Does wanting a muscle car after the age of 50 define a crisis? No more than wanting a nice home, nice things, a trip of a lifetime, etc. Matter of fact it is not untill we are older that many of us can afford many of the things we may have wanted when we were younger, or family commitments prevented us from obtaining them, or it just wasn't practical at the time. Last time I checked having fun and enjoying yourself isnt just for the young and many seem to agree as I notice many of the 50+ crowd drving Camaros, Mustangs, Vettes and Challengers. LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH....... and drive a CAMARO!
Thanks for reading! .Name:  pontiac.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4778CROP.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  91.1 KB

Last edited by xnuyokr; 01-30-2015 at 11:10 AM.
xnuyokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:56 AM   #124
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Mine is easy. I had an S10 Blazer Xtreme that was modified/customized to my liking except the power. I always wanted more.

Well I got cut off on the way to work and the old girl got totalled. She had been paid off for ever so the $7K plus $3K more was ready to go towards something new.

I'd always wanted a Corvette and thought the C6 was gorgeous. I looked at some Grand Sports and loved them but I could never get passed the lack of a back seat.

Everytime I drove a C5 SS I was less than thrilled. They always lacked something to me.

When the 1LE came out I read the specs and mods compared to a regular SS and said to myself that this cars was well on the right track for my tastes and preferences.

I went an ordered one 2 months later she was mine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2015, 03:23 PM   #125
lolgringo

Drives: 2010 camaro ss supercharged
My comment relates to others here, I'm 23 years old, working in the government, I bought my Camaro because I wanted one so effing bad. I told myself after I graduate college I'm going to buy one. So I did. Many people talk crap about me for buying this monster, but I don't care It's my favorite car in the world I love it! It's my heart and soul. Now it's supercharged, tuned and ready for anything that stands in it's way.
lolgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #126
sswiss3000

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Vert, L99
I never thought about buying a Camaro, but when I started my first job after college and my MBA, I needed to replace my 96 Sebring convertible.

I knew I wanted another convertible, but could not find anything in my price range or anything that could be driven with out a purse and tampon (Toyota Solara)

When I stumbled across the Camaro, I knew what my next car would be. Initially starting with the V6, I quickly decided that there was no way around the 6.2 V8. After all, how much longer can we drive such large displacement engines? lol

Been sporting a dumb smile on my face ever since. haha
sswiss3000 is offline   Reply With Quote