Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #1289
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
ZR1, Z06, GT500, ZL1--- all cars I would love to own.

If I could only own one. Then I'd want them/ rank them in the order I typed above. ^
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #1290
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBS View Post
It was around 3 seconds I believe. And ford stated the vert goes 3 seconds faster around VIR than the coupe so that means the 13 vert is as fast as the zl1 coupe. So logic would follow the coupe would be faster than the zl1.
well you magazine race logic is odd. numbers that are out there

vir

Gt500 2:58
ZL1 2:52

vert is 3 seconds faster so 2:55???? so coupe would be what ??? how many seconds faster is it than the vert?

this is all gay internet racing though. without some kind of head to head everyone is guessing.

the thing that kill me is why dont' they just say man that is the nail in the coffen to the internet racer.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #1291
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
One thing to remember, and it is very important, the GT500 is Ford's top dog. Chevy is limited to what they can do and what they can charge due to the Corvette. Ford can do whatever they want and charge whatever they want, hence the $65k+ price tag for the fully optioned model of the GT500. If GM was to do this, they would eat into sales of the Corvette creating a zero sum game. Not using this as an excuse as the '13 GT500 has completely dethroned the ZL1, however, it is something to keep in mind.
I am not sure this is absolutly true. the ZL1 bests the grand sport really already.

I think they are limited by what they think people will pay. put yourself in chevys shoes. would you rather sell 7,000 units and be slower than the ford or 3,500 units and be faster??? which make you more money.

if 1/4 mile time truely sold cars why does the camaro outsell the mustang? Why did the mustang outsell the camaro 98-02 when it was blow away by the camaro.

I think too many people on the internet forget this is about selling cars. I would love an LS9 in a camaro but I don't know I can afford it? I would have a hard time affording the GT500 with PP, tp and recaro's that everyone wants. that would be like $64k.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #1292
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
Al O, and Team Camaro are being ripped apart everywhere including on this site! I don't think they did anything wrong or out of line.
I'm with you on this. It's kinda sad to see people chastising those guys for supporting their product.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #1293
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
It was around 3 seconds I believe. And ford stated the vert goes 3 seconds faster around VIR than the coupe so that means the 13 vert is as fast as the zl1 coupe. So logic would follow the coupe would be faster than the zl1.
Hey, can you post some links for these shelby times at VIR? Doesn't need to be videos, just looking for something basic. I've been looking and the only one I can find is from a 2011 shelby run.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #1294
hognutz

Quote:
the shelby will obliterate the zl1. Ford has stated that the shelby is faster around a road course than the ford gt. And so far Ford hasn't lied about anything they have hinted at in past months. So unless you think a zl1 which is on par with a 12 shelby is magically faster than a ford gt then the jury is settled.

The only competition left is the z06/z07 and the zr1 from chevy in response to ford.

case dismissed.
you do relize that the ZL1 was faster around VIR than the ford GT. it also was 6 seconds a lap faster than the 2012 GT500 which is not on par that is major league destruction.

the Z06 Z07 and ZR1 will dominate the GT500 but they are so much more they should.

Ford people use the same twisted logic they say camaro people use to justify that the GT500 hangs with the top vetts. it doesn't but it shouldn't.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #1295
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
The GT500 is a little faster than the ZL1 BUT its not as faster as I had assumed it would be given it has 80hp more, more torque, and less weight. And in the end lets face it not many people are going to go out drag racing these cars anyway due to the collectibility of both and especially now that Shelby is no longer around any more. I think the Camaro is still better in the turns though not by alot. Straightline we already knew the GT500 would win its too big of a horsepower and torque advantage and not to mention the Camaro weighs over 300lbs more. Camaro fans wanted the Camaro to look as much like the concept car as possible the downside to this was the added weight also factoring in that the ZETA platform is heavy already anyway plus IRS adds weight. I would get the Camaro just based on the fact of looks alone the Shelby while nice still looks the same as every other Mustang on the road since the 05 model came out. This is just a result of the Camaro getting back in the game again once the next gen models of all these cars come out it will be more interesting from year to year and not as one sided.
So I guess the ZL1 is a little faster than the Boss 302 but it`s not alot faster as I would assumed given that it has 136 more hp.

the quarter mile times of the 13 Gt500 is ALOT faster than the ZL1 and the A.O simulation machine needs a software update..
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #1296
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Wow! I haven't been on the computer all day... Have been trying catch up on everything i missed...

Very impressive first reviews!

I would love nothing more then to post up every book marked post I have from several people on this forum, talking all that trash for sooooooo long... however, i think i'm gonna take the high road and be the bigger man about all this... As much as i want rub it right in all their faces, i just can't...

I kinda feel bad for them...:(

To all those people i'm talkin about (you know who you are), it's time to let it go... Both camps came out swingin with the best they had, and one had to come out on top. It looks like Ford made sure they left no room to question who the top dog is this time around. Is this a failure for team Camaro? No... They brought to the table the baddest Camaro i have ever seen. Performance and styling wise... Was it a failure for some at team Camaro to call out Ford, talk trash, say the Shelby was no match for the awesomeness of the ZL1? IMO, you bet it was... In fact, thinking back about everything that was said, it's pretty embarrassing...

If they would have just kept their mouths shut, it wouldn't have been half as big a deal as it is/was...

Anyhow, with all that said, i think it's time to stop all this bickering back and fourth BS (on both sides) and start giving credit/respect to BOTH camps for producing two of the most badass muscle cars ever, thus far...

We really need to cherish and enjoy these times because what we are seeing today, in all honesty, could be the end of an era... Time will only tell what the 6th Gen and the 2015 Mustangs will bring us. Odds are these quite possibly could be both camps going out with a bang before the smaller, lighter, less hp, muscle cars come to fruition... It's highly unlikely that we will be seeing these crazy power levels in the next generation of muscle cars, so enjoy them why the last...

Kudos to Chevy and Ford both for these awesome machines...

Now it's time for Dodge to get in the mix and make this a 3-way battle... Bring on the Cuda...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #1297
SIRLOIN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec5oh View Post
The same reason the ZL1 fans don't discuss the 12.5@115 passes of numerous ZL1's....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
12.5?! Thats about its average. Def not its worse. I wanna say ive seen sum 13's somewhere.
^^^This^^^
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #1298
chain777

Drives: Slow
Interesting how this has turned into a Z06 vs GT500 thread. What happened to the ZL1? And what happened to all the posters who were convinced it couldn't put the power down with the skinny 285's? I predict the next rumor to fall will be the belief that it's only good in a straight line.

Anyway, 11.6 @ 125 and 0-60 in 3.5; pretty impressive times from a magazine.

/sarcasm Imagine what it'll do with a proper break-in? /sarcasm off.

I apologize in advance to the mods for the gloating, but some of the posters here had it coming for a long time. I promise to exercise more restraint in the future.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #1299
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oortcloud View Post
Hey, can you post some links for these shelby times at VIR? Doesn't need to be videos, just looking for something basic. I've been looking and the only one I can find is from a 2011 shelby run.
there is nothing for the 2013 yet.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #1300
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post
^^^This^^^
So I was right, cherry picking..
I fail,,,I loose,,,I will admit ,,I will not deny. Your mustang is unquestionably the best and fastest thing on god given earth. ,,,,,,please,it hurts me when you say the deny and fail thing. ONE MORE TIME,,,,I HAVE FAILED,,,,,I DRIVE A BIG FAT SLOW LS3 CAMARO THAT WILL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER IN ANY WAY OUT RUN A MUSTANG. AND MY CAMARO IS VERY UGLY !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND FORTUNATE TO HAVE THAT COYOTE.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #1301
SIRLOIN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
So I was right, cherry picking..
Yes. Yes you were. If you wanna discuss all times, be prepared to do it with both cars...

a 12.2 from a joe blow magazine editor is pretty damn impressive... Especially with no seat time, in a car that was probably heat soaked to death before he even got in it. Don't make me post some of the times i have seen some of the mags get in the Z... It's not pretty...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #1302
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
there is nothing for the 2013 yet.
OK, so the 2011 run is the latest? I was trying to follow DBS's logic and couldn't quite keep up
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote