Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #1331
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
You just proved my point

If SEC wants to continue on their "we're better than everyone else" high, then they should all be discouraging an all-SEC NC game

Imagine Alabama beats LSU. Who gets the title? Since they both beat each other, are they technically co-champions? But LSU will still have one more win than Alabama.

If LSU beats Alabama, then every team with one loss (or every conference champion) will complain that since LSU had already beaten Alabama once, then someone else from a different conference should have had the opportunity to play the oh-so-mighty Tigers.
I know what you are saying and I understand that. I am far from the one that think that the SEC is almighty and please don't think that.

What I am saying is this....I was NOT in favor of a re-match...(read back in previous posts) UNTIL everyone else started losing. Personally I think Alabama would beat OSU, Stanford, VT or any of the one loss teams simply because none of those teams have played a defense like Alabama's. Traditionally when teams with high powered offenses play great defenses they struggle mightily which is indicated by the high lighted previous post.

When OU played Florida, OU was putting up what 55 points a game but could not score but 14, When Alabama played Texas, Texas had the supposed #1 Rush defense in the country and Alabama had 2 backs go over a 125 yrds becuase the Big 12 mainly has a high poweed pass offense, Texas even struggled with a good Nebraska defense the game before.

Why does this happen? I have no idea...maybe it is the lay off between games and the timing is affected, maybe it is because of the defense???/I have no clue of why just know that it does.

My arguement now for Alabama to play is this......I look at 2 teams and their losses. Alabama lost at home by 3 in overtime to the #1 team in the country....OSU lost to an UNRANKED team that they were favored by 28 pts in overtime by 6. To me OSU loss is worse than Bama's.

I still cant figure out how OU lost to TT.

The top SEC teams are traditionally built with stout offensive and defensive line, and good running backs. Power never goes into a slump. Finess teams that pass alot put all their eggs in one basket and if the QB goes down, has a bad game they have nothing to rely on such as was the case when Bradford got hurt and Colt McCoy got hurt....The inability ro run the ball hurt both of those teams.

Even when Texas won the BCS in 2005 they had great runners in Vince and the backs and occassional passing.

Personally I think the spread offense is a thing of the past. Defensive coordinators have now learned how to defend them.....See Florida's fall in the SEC...I personally the reason I think Urban Meyer left.....Alabama figured out how to stop it.

Oregon last year had a high powered offense scoring almost a point a minute, but when they played an ok SEC defense they struggled....Trust me I wanted Oregon to win...BADLY.

The SEC is getting alot of credit now because of past history and I beleive because of 2004 when Auburn was left out.....OU got beat 55-19 by USC and I really don't think USC would have hung 55 on Auburn but I could be wrong.

PQ usually talks about the SEC Homer guys and I try not to be "That Guy" giving credit where credit is due.

The problem does exist if Alabama wins of what happens next, especially if it is a close game, goes into overtime etc.......Alabama beat LSU all over the field EXCEPT the score board and should have never lost that game, BUT they did.

From what I understand about the BCS is that whomever wins that game will be the National Champion in the BCS and Coahes poll. The AP can do what they want.....kinda like when LSU won it with a 10-2 records....I think Ohio State was undefeated when they played so LSU wins the N/C with 2 losses while Ohio State had 1 loss.

This system we have does not make sense at all and I really think some kind of playoff is coming when the current BCS contract expires in 2 yrs (I think) kind of in the lines with the FCS, BUT this is what we have now and have to live with......I do think it is a far better cry from where it was years ago. JMHO
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #1332
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I have never said that Alabama is not a good team. To have the kind of defensive stats that they've racked up this year is simply outstanding. And kudos to Saban for putting together a string of solid teams for a few years running.

I want to point out that there are many assumptions being made right now, such as:
LSU will roll over Georgia
OSU will beat OU

Neither of those assumptions are guaranteed, given the craziness that has been this season.

If Georgia upsets LSU (yes, it's a long shot, but I think there's a chance) and if OU beats OSU (which is much less of a long shot, depending on which OU team shows up) then who plays in the NC Game?

In that scenario, the BCS is screwed.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #1333
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
John, you are not a homer 'crazy whacky SEC guy' fan. You are objective and rational. THIS year it's just hard not to sound biased..... because Bama and LSU are the two best teams in the country, EASILY.

As for my general thoughts........ The gap between number #2 (Bama) and #3 (OSU, or anyone else) is HUGE. So I absolutely have NO problem with them being the two teams in the NCG.

That being said, NOBODY in the SEC can ever say again that the system is flawed. If Texas and OU , or USC and Oregon, or Ohio St. and Michigan (teams form the same conference) were to end up in the CG then so be it. SEC fan can't complain.

As far as the LSU/Bama rematch, though I believe it's the best two teams and ultimately wether one or both made it one of those two will be champs, I also think that it's the least compelling game. Again, like I have already said, we know what we get when we see Bama and LSU, which is two mediocre offenses against two of the best defenses EVER. That's just not compelling..... it's ....... well...... 9 to 6.

What would be more compelling is to see those two defenses against two world class offenses. THAT would be fun to watch. It could be SEC amazing omgwtfbbq defense vs holy shit throw it up and scorch em' down offense. Let's see who's the king. I don't see Bama or LSU holding Luck and Stanford, or Okie St. to no 6 points by any stretch. And certainly NOBODY is putting up 40 against Bama or LSU, but it would be fun to watch.

But bottom line, the two best teams will be in that game. Of that I have no doubt. And it's perfectly fair. I gotta say though, if I missed the game it wouldn't bother me. I love defensive games, but only when I have a vested interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post
I remember when Florida and Florida state played in the regular season and then again for the championship back when Spurrier and Bowden were coaching. So, it's happened before.
That was before the BCS era. Bama and LSU are the first two teams in the BCS that will have ever played twice in the same year I believe.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #1334
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUISSD View Post
As for Urban going to OSU, he'll be a perfect fit. Their former coach was a lying, cheating, hypocritical douchebag and Urban should fill that spot nicely. He couldn't beat Michigan when he was at Florida and it won't change now. Michigan will be just fine.
He coached at BGSU before Florida.. Tressel at Youngstown before OSU. So it's an Ohio thing. TBH I'm not happy with the decision, it was motivated by money.. as is everything in the NCAA.

Should have kept Fickle and just sat it out for 10 years and let the SEC have a turn as the media punching bag. Ohio state had a half assed team this season, and still landed 6-6.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #1335
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
" if LSU loses by 10 points or less to Georgia in the SEC championship Game then LSU goes to play in the NC game "

BCS Spokesman on ESPN Radio.

Boy or Boy the NCAA wants to see another Bama/LSU game.

We so need a playoff system.

Two teams who may not even win there confrence

I put money on it IF okie st wins against OU they will be playing Stanford in a BCS bowl.

ABC wants the money game.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #1336
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
" if LSU loses by 10 points or less to Georgia in the SEC championship Game then LSU goes to play in the NC game "

BCS Spokesman on ESPN Radio.

Boy or Boy the NCAA wants to see another Bama/LSU game.

We so need a playoff system.

Two teams who may not even win there confrence

I put money on it IF okie st wins against OU they will be playing Stanford in a BCS bowl.

I hope Okie St. DOES win. I bet they'd put OU against Houston.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #1337
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I hope Okie St. DOES win. I bet they'd put OU against Houston.
OSU is favored by 3 but this game is always throw the odds out the window
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #1338
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
To the top 15,
Could a few of you please lose so Michigan can get the "at large' bid?

Thank you for your support!

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #1339
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
To the top 15,

I thought they were gonna win the conference?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #1340
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I thought they were gonna win the conference?
Nope, Michigan state get's to play Wisconsin for the conference championship. I really wish we could have that Michigan state game as a do over....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #1341
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
To the top 15,

Quote:
Nope, Michigan state get's to play Wisconsin for the conference championship. I really wish we could have that Michigan state game as a do over....
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #1342
Camaro_krazee
COTW 5/26/14

Drives: '12 2LT/RS; '14 2SS/RS LS3 SSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSokie View Post
OSU is favored by 3 but this game is always throw the odds out the window
Absolutely. Never say never about bedlam.
Now, let's throw in another twist besides playing in Stillwater...let's have Gawd awful weather. A nasty forecast for Saturday: cold, often times heavy downpours of rain, possibly turning to a winter mix in the first half, with miserable north winds. Neither team can play their best in crappy conditions. [remember the "ice bowl"!]
I agree OSU will probably pull off a win but only because OU is beat up with injuries right now...no Ryan Broyles, no Dominique Whaley. I think the defenses are pretty evenly matched, as are the quarterbacks.

I hate to say it, but personally, I don't think OSU would make a good showing if they were to play LSU. A good IN YOUR FACE defense rattles Weeden and it goes downhill from there.

Just one Oklahoma fan's opinion.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #1343
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
Playoff system: Agreed.

Would it make a dent in the earnings that networks and schools get out of the BCS system? Betcher ass it would. Be it SEC, Pac 10, Big 12, Big 10 + 2, etc.. always about the money in the end.

Ratings = money.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #1344
JUISSD

Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post
I remember when Florida and Florida state played in the regular season and then again for the championship back when Spurrier and Bowden were coaching. So, it's happened before.
The only reason that happened is because of the Rose Bowl contract at the time. FSU was #1 and Arizona St was #2 but they automatically went to Rose Bowl as the Pac10 champion. FSU then played #3 Florida in a rematch while ASU played #4 OSU in the Rose. Still, it's not a big deal because they weren't from the same conference, much less the same division of the same conference like LSU and Bama.

Quote:
I want the Iowa game back. The refs screwed us all game and really cost us a chance at winning at the end. That was pitiful!

For everyone saying there's a big gap between Bama and OkSt, look closer at the facts. If you just look at their 1 loss, Bama losing at home in OT to LSU and OkSt losing on the road in OT to Iowa St, sure Bama looks stronger on that alone. But look at their wins. If OkSt beats OU that will give them 5 wins against teams currently ranked in the BCS top 25. Bama only has 2. Defense wins championships and that Bama D sure looks tough. Look who they played though. It's not hard for a decent defense, even a slightly above average defense, to look good against the #116, #114, #110, #107, #101, #82, #72, #71, and #61 ranked offenses like they have this year. When it's all said and done, if OkSt wins this weekend, I think they deserve a shot at LSU.

JUISSD is offline   Reply With Quote