Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #13539
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok if you mis spell Camaro on your resume I can not hire you. Just sayin'

Camero?? Seriously??
I can spell Camaro. Do I get the job
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #13540
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I can spell Camaro. Do I get the job
How are your unit aphis skills?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #13541
JusticePete

Quote:
How are your unit aphis skills?
Even better than my spelling.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #13542
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Unigraphics by the way. Talk about spelling.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #13543
JusticePete

Quote:
Unigraphics by the way. Talk about spelling.
I did this in Photoshop.

It is light years better than this Unigraphics project.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #13544
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Good enough? Proper subject matter?

This is my work on the coming V6 diesel Camero...er...Kamaro...uh...Camaro...

Attached Images

LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #13545
JusticePete

Guys, I need a reality check. I'll be vague to protect the innocent and / or guilty.

About two months ago I get a phone call from a Camaro owner that has a problem with some used Pedders parts he bought. The problem is unusual so I decided that I would help even though there was no warranty obligation and sold him a replacement part really cheap. The same problem occurs on the other side of the car. This is a problem we have never seen. He now has it twice.

We do some research on our end and can come up with no explanation for the failure. That takes two weeks. You know me. I get busy and some things slide to the bottom of the pile. I get a polite reminder and tell him to give me another few days or a week. Two weeks go by I get another polite reminder and tell him I decided to just ship him a free replacement. He is pleased.

The replacement part doesn't ship for no other reason than we dropped the ball. The guy is frustrated and sends me an ultimatum. Ship it now or I am going to post this on the forum.

I certainly understand his frustrations. It took some time to sort out the problem and then too long to ship the part. We certainly screwed up on the shipping end. I did take too long to make a decision on this, but the ultimatum really ticked me off. Bad. I wanted to say go pound sand you $%^#^&*.

I didn't. I did reply that we had dropped the ball and we are sorry, but didn't let it go there. I went on to say I really appreciated the opportunity to send him free parts on my dime for a problem that in no way is covered by warranty and that no other company would have helped him with. I'm sure he doesn't really care and the whole thing turned out poorly for both of us.

Do I file this under No Good Deed Goes Unpunished or should I change my approach to how we treat our clients, even second hand clients and go by the book?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #13546
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Pete, tough call. I think you put it behind you. Your intent was to help a customer out while trying to learn something about an issue you hadn't seen before. Both good reasons to exercise such a "policy" decision to provide a customer free parts. Problem is that most people don't have a clue when vendors like yourself go above and beyond. I say stay the course. You're reputation is built on a pattern of customer service. Don't let the bad apples spoil the bunch.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #13547
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Agree, this is a tough one.

There is no middle ground on this one, Pete. If you are going to take the "the customer is always right" or "Pedders will cover you even if you aren't under warranty" then you have to be responsive.

You either have to stick to the "rules" as you've laid them out or ALWAYS go above and beyond, which means not only do you say you'll take care of the customer you make it a priority and don't drop the ball.

I think you fell into the middle ground. In trying to do the right thing you found a customer that believed they were right and you were wrong (or convinced themselves of that) and when you committed and then delayed only put fuel on the their fire which made you wrong.

I know you tried to take care of this customer. But sometimes that isn't enough.

Chalk this one up to learning.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #13548
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I work for an OEM myself...all I can say is that in my experience those that you go out on a limb to assist are the same ones that will stick it to you and come back wanting more. I will always push hard (as you do) to please my customers and distributors, BUT there is a point where some can be serially unreasonable...at that point I will fire a customer. I've seen some that have worked through every OEM in my type of equipment treating us all terribly and ending up with no one wanting to work with them. Sometimes you just have to move on.
I've also worked with those who have purchased used and want us to make it right. In that case I will offer to refurbish it or let them know I will help them at regular price remedy any issues. You can be helpful without giving it away. I tell them buying used has its consequences. Live and learn.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #13549
JusticePete

Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I needed to hear from outside my house. We always do more than we should when it comes to service. Sometimes we fail. This time it was some of both. Next time, we'll bend the rules to the benefit of the client and improve our execution. Everyone expects great parts from us, but the guest experience is the most important thing we we make.

So why is there is still a little voice whispering in my ear... send him a tracking number, but ship it to the wrong address.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #13550
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #13551
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
I guess we all have 'situations' at one time or another. You handled it well as far as I'm concerned.
I once had a lady that crossed the line twice after we patiently offered a full refund or replacement of product over a period of a week. This is the only customer in 37 yrs that I basically told off. After she left the other customers clapped in approval. Then one of the customers that witnessed this said "aren't you afraid she will tell her friends.... I told her I hope she does because her friends will be jerks, just like her.
I never thought I'd do what I did, but when you admit you made a mistake to a customer and offer to fix it many times then the customer says she doesn't make mistakes, well that was all I could take!
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #13552
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
My $.02....Business is business....sometimes a customer can cross the line as to what they think they deserve regarding a product or service....Good-will can sometimes come back to haunt you....I say, have a policy and stick to it....Bend over backwards sometimes for one, and everybody will expect the same, and the few that take undeserved advantage will drive you nuts....stay consistent.
If you bend over backwards for 1 it will haunt you, if you bend over backwards for all, your business will thrive. That is how Costco made it to the top.
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014