Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #43
rickr9504

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1 LE
Thanks for this post. I had no idea what this was when I opened the hood. I could not figure out how the oil was put in the engine since the cap on that thing does not come off....I figured I would research that later to find out. I need to get back into car mechanic. I took a long pause since my 1997 Eclipse GST...
I felt so stupid also no knowing where the battery was. Good to know this site is a very helpful place to get our information.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #44
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Was wondering what that white box was in the trunk with that part inside and the Oil Separator instructions sheets. Procrastinated until tonight to research it, came across this thread.

Thank you!

..So who here has done BOTH dirty side and clean side?

I have 700km on the odometer, I need to make a decision ASAP now that the engine is still fresh, what should I do?
Did both. The catch can is an easy mod if you can find the PCV loop.

Now I have the separate clutch reservoir too, but not installed yet.

Myth or do it?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #45
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
If installed properly this has NO effect on fuel trims or idle.

Excellent for the clean side.

Yes thanks. Have the car into the dealer to check it. I don't know what else it would be since it's brand new and I've not done anything else to the car but enjoy it.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #46
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I just went ahead and ordered the Elite catch can, talked to (off the top of my head) Steve over the phone, excellent customer service!

I decided to install both the Elite catch can, and the GM 1LE Oil Separator kit, can't wait to get this done this weekend!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #47
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I have both installed, oil separator and elite can, and also haven't noticed any negative effects. For DD, the impression I get is the catch can is more important than the separator. I understand when the catch can helps trap oil, but its not entirely clear when the separator works to be honest. I though I read something about hard cornering but maybe I'm dreaming

Anyway, here's a link showing some installations with both:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=287757&page=2
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #48
04goatgirl

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
I have a question about this . My dealer had already installed this and I see I really don't need it. I want to have CAI installed . Can I run both or should I tell them to remove it and put a oil cap on. they did not give me a regular cap either!!
04goatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #49
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
you can run both, it won't hurt anything. but tell your dealer they owe you your cap! lol...mine kept my cap too

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #50
04goatgirl

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Thanks I will definitely tell them I want one.
04goatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #51
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Run both. The 1LE cap is for the clean side only, that is only 2-3% of the total oil ingestion. You need a good dirty side catchcan like the RX or Elite to take care of the real problem.

And, the 1LE style (we have our own version for much less) will also work on any of the GM V8's and V6's.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #52
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Run both. The 1LE cap is for the clean side only, that is only 2-3% of the total oil ingestion. You need a good dirty side catchcan like the RX or Elite to take care of the real problem.

And, the 1LE style (we have our own version for much less) will also work on any of the GM V8's and V6's.

Indeed.

Took Sledge out for a good hard run (no rev limiter hitting mind you), with 600 miles(1000km) on the clock, boy do I feel good having installed both the Elite can and the Chevrolet Performance supplied Oil Separator kit

Just wanted to note, upon sticking a q-tip inside the original hose to install the oil separator kit("clean side") I observed one to two at most, clean looking drops of oil in there. Nothing significant at all, but considering that I haven't even hit the track yet, something worth considering.

As for the "dirty side" where the catch can goes, although the oil looked clean inside the nipple leading to the engine, and the hose itself that needed to be removed, there was a significant amount of oil in there. By that I mean, estimate perhaps 10-20 drops of clear looking oil.

Highly recommended mods no doubt about it!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #53
ROE

Drives: 2008 cts
can a catch can be used with this step up
ROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #54
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
The seperator cap was installed on my 14 1LE when I picked it up. So, for a daily driver it is ok to run this kit?

Is the pcv valve removed when this kit is installed? Just want to make sure i understand this. Can someone attach the install instructions please here in this thread? Id like to know if this is on correctly. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #55
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROE View Post
can a catch can be used with this step up
Yes. The aftermarket catch-can will connect in between the valley PCV tube, and the plenum...otherwise known as the "dirty side".

Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
The seperator cap was installed on my 14 1LE when I picked it up. So, for a daily driver it is ok to run this kit?

Is the pcv valve removed when th is is installed? Can someone attach the install instructions please here in this thread? Id like to know if this is on correctly. Thanks.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256656
This is a good reference. The official installation instructions should have been delivered with your car...if not - ask your dealer to print off another copy for you.

So long as the car doesn't experience freezing temperatures, the separator is fine to run daily...just not the disclaimer that it's for "off-road use only"...to cover Chevy's behind.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #56
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Mine was a dealer transfer. My dealership guys are not tech savvy so I need someone here to post the instructions please.

I also want to know what was removed when they installed it? Stock cap (I have), pcv, stock tubing, etc.

Last edited by domano 68; 03-17-2014 at 09:48 PM.
domano 68 is offline   Reply With Quote