Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #29
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
The NPP exhaust HAS shown a HP increase. think it was 4 or 6 HP
On the Corvette. Only reason we haven't seen it on the Camaro is because GM hasn't spent the money to certify the extra horsepower. There should be an increase though. Maybe one of the SS guys that has it has had theres dynoed already.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
^^^ Thats what I'm sayin. I saw a post where someone added the NPP to their SS and saw an increase. I'm quite sure the 1LE (even without the NPP) will be .3 - .5 tenths quicker on the track :P (suspension/gears/lightweight wheels and gummier tires)
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #31
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
^^^ Thats what I'm sayin. I saw a post where someone added the NPP to their SS and saw an increase. I'm quite sure the 1LE (even without the NPP) will be .3 - .5 tenths quicker on the track :P (suspension/gears/lightweight wheels and gummier tires)
I think .3-.5 tenths quicker is way too optimistic especially since GM themselves give an identical 1/4 mile time on the car as the SS. It's a track car and not a strip car. The transmission ratios inside the transmission are different from the SS so the only gears that are lower are 3rd slightly with 4th being the most noticeable.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #32
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
I'm willing to bet someone will pull 12.5s in stock form. Might need optimal conditions but thats my hope :P
Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #33
1LEE

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
I think .3-.5 tenths quicker is way too optimistic especially since GM themselves give an identical 1/4 mile time on the car as the SS. It's a track car and not a strip car. The transmission ratios inside the transmission are different from the SS so the only gears that are lower are 3rd slightly with 4th being the most noticeable.
GM is also lazy, and at the time of the brochure release they prob just threw those numbers in there. Only time will tell, but I also agree it will be quicker than the base SS. Read some of the reviews on it. Everyone mentions it feels quicker than the SS (even though feeling quicker is a matter of ones own perception). Only time will tell....
Old 09-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #34
1LEE

Quote:
6hp on the Vette.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #35
1LEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
I think it's more like sound "management". It's docile when you are in areas that you might be prone to scrutiny from neighbors (and LEO's) and a beast when you are in areas that are more acceptable for it. Hooking it up to something like a mild-to-wild control would give you more control over it's original function. Advantageous to say the least.
Yeah, I saw some photos of the stock Camaro catback, and other than the huge mufflers, it looks like it will flow alright.

I'll be interested in further tests on this.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #36
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
NPP should make a HP difference. See this:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

Quoting from Wikipedia ...

In addition to the above, a dual-mode exhaust package with a bypass on acceleration is available. The dual-mode exhaust uses vacuum-actuated outlet valves, which control engine noise during low-load operation, but open for maximum performance during high-load operation. The system is similar to the C6 Z06, but uses a 2.5*in (64*mm) diameter exhaust compared to the Z06's 3*in (76*mm). Power is boosted to 436*hp (325*kW) and 428*lb·ft (580*N·m) with this option.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #37
CrystalRedTintcoat

I ordered a CrystalRedTintcoat 2SS with NPP and 1LE on Tuesday. Got an order number from HQ. Here's what the internet sales manager emailed to me:

"We were able to post your order before 4:00 pm (The Inventory manager told us that the 1LE is in constrain. Which means that GM has not released any of the vehicles nation wide) There are a few orders pending but GM has not build any of them yet. He will let us know when they will start building them.*

GM has*a specific target build time. They have a specific releae schedule that they have to abide to and no 1LE Camaro can be release before certain date. He will let us know when is the official release date. In* any event the vehicle is the ordering system and will get build ahead of any other order that gets put in the system afterwards."
Old 09-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #38
strokerls1

Drives: 2015 Charger Hellcat
I can tell you this. My 2013 SS with NPP is WAY faster than the 2012 I had. I think the electronic p/s and NPP add a solid 15-20hp over the previous years. I have proof of this based on the race I had with my brothers 2011 GT. I consistently pull him every time on the street and even at the drag strip where he has the advantage. These 2013s will surprise a lot of the Ford fanboi's. Take a look at my YouTube page: BMoore408
strokerls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #39
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
It seems to be accepted that adding a lower-restriction aftermarket catback to a stock SS adds no HP (see innumerable threads on this forum).

So *if* thats true -- if a low restriction aftermarket muffler adds no HP to a SS, why would a low restriction GM muffler be any different? Magic?

FYI -- I'm adding a Borla S-type to my SS, so I'd be quite pleasantly surprised if the conventional wisdom about catbacks not adding any power is WRONG!

Last edited by Kent2010; 09-13-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #40
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerls1 View Post
I can tell you this. My 2013 SS with NPP is WAY faster than the 2012 I had. I think the electronic p/s and NPP add a solid 15-20hp over the previous years. I have proof of this based on the race I had with my brothers 2011 GT. I consistently pull him every time on the street and even at the drag strip where he has the advantage. These 2013s will surprise a lot of the Ford fanboi's. Take a look at my YouTube page: BMoore408
See this writeup about the LS3 with NPP in Wikipedia:

"...a dual-mode exhaust package with a bypass on acceleration is available. The dual-mode exhaust uses vacuum-actuated outlet valves, which control engine noise during low-load operation, but open for maximum performance during high-load operation. The system is similar to the C6 Z06, but uses a 2.5 in (64 mm) diameter exhaust compared to the Z06's 3 in (76 mm). Power is boosted to 436 hp (325 kW) and 428 lb·ft (580 N·m) with this option."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine#section_2
Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #41
1LEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
See this writeup about the LS3 with NPP in Wikipedia:

"...a dual-mode exhaust package with a bypass on acceleration is available. The dual-mode exhaust uses vacuum-actuated outlet valves, which control engine noise during low-load operation, but open for maximum performance during high-load operation. The system is similar to the C6 Z06, but uses a 2.5 in (64 mm) diameter exhaust compared to the Z06's 3 in (76 mm). Power is boosted to 436 hp (325 kW) and 428 lb·ft (580 N·m) with this option."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine#section_2
That's for the vette though....

I want to see what it does for the Camaro (other than awesome sound).

I assume it would be close to the vettes increase though.... Maybe.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #42
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Electric power steering adds 5 hp on the 2013 Ram truck Hemi. And NPPwill prolly add 5-6 hp. So you should be able to feel it.

On The 1le the change in gearing will definitely make a difference in3rd and 4th gear acceleration.

With the tires the 1le has, the p/s ,NPP and gearing I would expect it to be.2 secs quicker
In the 1/4 then a 2012 SS.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote