Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 07-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
camaro10rjt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thumbs down My Rx experience

Early in March of this year I decided to Twin Turbo my 2010 Camaro SS and I made the decision to go with RX for this build. Car is my daily driver so Tracy told me that he wouldn't bring my car in until all parts were at his shop. I paid for parts and labor upfront (mistake number 1). My car had a Maggie TVS 2300 that Tracy and I worked out a deal for.

On March 29 I bring the car to Tracy and I am told that all parts are in and in 8 to 10 days the build will be done.

March 30th I get my onstar report and it shows that in 1 day my car has 400+ miles on it, contact them and they said it was testing of supercharger since they are selling it, I believed them but this left a very bad feeling in my stomach.

April 3rd go to the shop and see my car is completely disassembled but nobody is working on it. Come to find out they are waiting on parts. Week goes by the car sits the same way.

April 10th go to the shop and Tracy says we ran into an issue. The forged pistons came but they are the wrong size so we can either bore the motor out to fit them or wait another 2 weeks to get the correct set of pistons. I decided to send it to the machine shop and do the bore rather than wait another 2 weeks for a part that should have been there on day 1.

April 17th (3 weeks into an 8-10 day build) Motor is finally being reassembled.

April 24th Motor is back in and all other parts have been installed and now they can start the twin turbo build. Told at this point 2 days to do the fab work it will be done Friday the 26th. (Now 1 month into an 8-10 day build and this whole time paying for a rental car as the camaro is my daily driver)

Show up on Friday in the morning to see progress and the car sits the same way it was on the 24th nothing done to it for 2 days. At this point I'm fed up and tell Tracy to finish putting the car back together and I'm going to tow it out of the shop on the 27th

Morning of the 27th have the car towed out of Tracy's shop (decided to send it to Matt and Rodney at FSP) get a contract from Tracy that he will refund me for the turbos and for the drive shaft that never came for a total of 4k. Was told by Tracy and I have the PM's it will take a couple of weeks but not months.

Early May Matt and Rodney start working on the car I asked them to look over everything and they agreed to. They fit me in between builds to look over the car before my build actually started with them.

On May 19th I get a call from Matt to stop by the shop he wanted to show me something.

Those are forged pistons upside down and on the wrong side of the motor. Tracy agreed that they were put in wrong but they still would have worked fine cause they had plenty of clearance. I went to Tracy with this picture and he wanted me to bring the car back and they would fix it. I told him there is no way I'm letting him touch my car again. We agreed to refund me some of the money for the install of the pistons since now the motor had to come out again and I made the decision to rebuild everything cause I had serious issues trusting the work from Tracy's shop. The motor builder found that the wrong locks were installed on this pistons and the rings on the pistons were for a piston one size up. See picture below

Matt also found the wrong timing cover on the car since it is an automatic we had to do the LS3 conversion for the cam. Tracy put the L99 timing cover on which would have made the car always have a hard start. Tracy did provide me with the correct timing cover. From Tracy shop I paid for a boost a pump, was never put in the car and was never at the shop. Tracy said he would order one (took about a month to come just to find out he cancelled the order cause I already purchased one with Matt for the build) He gave me his word that he would refund me for the boost a pump.

My refund from Tracy's shop was now up to $5300. I received one $500 check from him about two weeks after I pulled the car. After about a month and a half I needed money since now i was paying double what I originally planned on spending I ask Tracy if I can pick up the turbos that were for my build and that would take care of $3000 of the refund. I was able to sell one of them and get some money back but still trying to sell the last one. So at this point $1800 is still owed to me 3 months after pulling my car from the shop. (again I was assured it would be weeks not months). I have stopped by Tracy's shop last week and again today. Tracy was out both times and I left my name and number with his new General Manager and was told he would call me back. I still haven't heard anything from Tracy. After this post I'm sure I will not get anymore of the money that is owed to me but I feel like I needed to say my story.
camaro10rjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
family man

Drives: .
You guys need to start a support group, the "I got screwed by RX" group. Hell, you could probably start your own forum.

Sorry to hear another horror story. I'm glad FSP bailed you out.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
"my onstar report and it shows that in 1 day my car has 400+ miles on it"
"The forged pistons came but they are the wrong size"
"forged pistons upside down and on the wrong side of the motor"

"put in wrong but they still would have worked fine cause"
"wrong timing cover on the car"
"was told he would call me back. I still haven't heard anything"

Thank you for being honest & sharing your experience, its appreciated.

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Reading this brought back some fond memories and literally made me sick to my stomach. The sad thing is none of this comes as a surprise anymore. I'm glad Mr Fuzzyboots was able to get you patched up. I hear that car of yours is a monster now!

IBTL
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
sstampa

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS RJT
My car is the one that got put on hold at FSP for a short time while this car was being assessed. I saw it at the shop several times and can attest that the pistons were definitely installed backwards. If you know much of anything about engine building, you know that the motor would not have lived long that way. There is more to what will happen with pistons installed backwards than which direction the valve reliefs face.

I am so very glad that people on this board are finally telling their stories about this company. I was so close to having major work done by RX but heard a horror story just weeks before picking up the phone to call RX. They did do one job for me a while back, and I have had no issues, but then again it was done by a competent mechanic that no longer works there.

2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6 RJT, GFX, ECS Blower, FSP Blower Cam, SW 2" headers/3" exhaust, 3.91, tuned by Fasterproms 745 rwhp, 620 rwtq

2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison, 540 rwhp, 1100 rwtq.
sstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro10rjt View Post
Early in March of this year I decided to Twin Turbo my 2010 Camaro SS and I made the decision to go with RX for this build. Car is my daily driver so Tracy told me that he wouldn't bring my car in until all parts were at his shop. I paid for parts and labor upfront (mistake number 1). My car had a Maggie TVS 2300 that Tracy and I worked out a deal for.

On March 29 I bring the car to Tracy and I am told that all parts are in and in 8 to 10 days the build will be done.

March 30th I get my onstar report and it shows that in 1 day my car has 400+ miles on it, contact them and they said it was testing of supercharger since they are selling it, I believed them but this left a very bad feeling in my stomach.

April 3rd go to the shop and see my car is completely disassembled but nobody is working on it. Come to find out they are waiting on parts. Week goes by the car sits the same way.

April 10th go to the shop and Tracy says we ran into an issue. The forged pistons came but they are the wrong size so we can either bore the motor out to fit them or wait another 2 weeks to get the correct set of pistons. I decided to send it to the machine shop and do the bore rather than wait another 2 weeks for a part that should have been there on day 1.

April 17th (3 weeks into an 8-10 day build) Motor is finally being reassembled.

April 24th Motor is back in and all other parts have been installed and now they can start the twin turbo build. Told at this point 2 days to do the fab work it will be done Friday the 26th. (Now 1 month into an 8-10 day build and this whole time paying for a rental car as the camaro is my daily driver)

Show up on Friday in the morning to see progress and the car sits the same way it was on the 24th nothing done to it for 2 days. At this point I'm fed up and tell Tracy to finish putting the car back together and I'm going to tow it out of the shop on the 27th

Morning of the 27th have the car towed out of Tracy's shop (decided to send it to Matt and Rodney at FSP) get a contract from Tracy that he will refund me for the turbos and for the drive shaft that never came for a total of 4k. Was told by Tracy and I have the PM's it will take a couple of weeks but not months.

Early May Matt and Rodney start working on the car I asked them to look over everything and they agreed to. They fit me in between builds to look over the car before my build actually started with them.

On May 19th I get a call from Matt to stop by the shop he wanted to show me something.

Those are forged pistons upside down and on the wrong side of the motor. Tracy agreed that they were put in wrong but they still would have worked fine cause they had plenty of clearance. I went to Tracy with this picture and he wanted me to bring the car back and they would fix it. I told him there is no way I'm letting him touch my car again. We agreed to refund me some of the money for the install of the pistons since now the motor had to come out again and I made the decision to rebuild everything cause I had serious issues trusting the work from Tracy's shop. The motor builder found that the wrong locks were installed on this pistons and the rings on the pistons were for a piston one size up. See picture below

Matt also found the wrong timing cover on the car since it is an automatic we had to do the LS3 conversion for the cam. Tracy put the L99 timing cover on which would have made the car always have a hard start. Tracy did provide me with the correct timing cover. From Tracy shop I paid for a boost a pump, was never put in the car and was never at the shop. Tracy said he would order one (took about a month to come just to find out he cancelled the order cause I already purchased one with Matt for the build) He gave me his word that he would refund me for the boost a pump.

My refund from Tracy's shop was now up to $5300. I received one $500 check from him about two weeks after I pulled the car. After about a month and a half I needed money since now i was paying double what I originally planned on spending I ask Tracy if I can pick up the turbos that were for my build and that would take care of $3000 of the refund. I was able to sell one of them and get some money back but still trying to sell the last one. So at this point $1800 is still owed to me 3 months after pulling my car from the shop. (again I was assured it would be weeks not months). I have stopped by Tracy's shop last week and again today. Tracy was out both times and I left my name and number with his new General Manager and was told he would call me back. I still haven't heard anything from Tracy. After this post I'm sure I will not get anymore of the money that is owed to me but I feel like I needed to say my story.
wait WHAT!
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Ouch. Hope you get what you are owed.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Good freaking god.

RX isn't fit to work on shopping carts. The stuff coming out of there is worse than HPS.

Time for the owners of this site to drop them.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
1sicss

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs
sounds like it's time to lawyer up, thank god for forums like this so you know who to stay away from, thanks for posting
1sicss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
can't believe pistons were installed backwards
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Hearing this story again breaks my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by family man View Post
You guys need to start a support group, the "I got screwed by RX" group.
We have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #12
rozay

Drives: camaro 2LS LFX A6
wow just wow. what kind of people are working over at RX? sorry to hear about your story hope you get every penny you deserve because if it was me you better believe all hell would break lose. im not playing either that just pisses me off and i can imagine how your feeling about them. working your a** off to pay these so called professionals. srry i just had to express my feelings. im done
Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
And people are still ordering cc from this company, i guess buyer beware.
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #14
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
You're in good hands at FSP. It's unfortunate what you had to go through though.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote