Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I had something that sounds similar. Turned to be spider web I think.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
TheAviator

Drives: 2012 Black Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I had something that sounds similar. Turned to be spider web I think.
OMGOSH!! I believe you figured it out! My yard is freaking full of spiders, I bet that's it! What did you use!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #31
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Drives: MOTL3Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
I was reading about using brake fluid, many of the comments were that you shouldn't use brake fluid that it can damage your paint.
I'm sure it will if it's used vigerously or left on the paint. I've used it before to remove scraped on paint. Example, when someone rubs their car against a pole that is painted yellow and the yellow paint transfered to the paint on the car. I've used brake fluid to get the yellow paint off. I'd just be carful with it. You may try an all purpose cleaner, too. Something like Adam's All Purpose cleaner. They probably make a bug and tar remover as well. The 3M adheasive suggestion seems like a good one, too. If you use something you're not familiar with, test it on something else, if you can.
Do remember to at least get a coat of wax on there, afterwards, what ever you do. What ever you use, you will be removing whatever wax there is. A little compound and swirl mark remover could be used to take care of any thin scratches you may produce in trying to remove the gunk.

Search on YouTube for Drive Clean. That guy's damn good at detailing and has great videos. It's Drive Clean on the Drive network.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #32
2SS 2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 Black
It's not really the Paint you have to worry about.. It's how the chemicals interact with the clear coat.. What is needed to know is it breaks it down or doesn't affect it at all..
2SS 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #33
colemanvoice
team chicklet camaro

Drives: MOTL3Y
Yeah, there's enough stuff out there, I should take back my brake fluid idea. I've used it successfully several times...like 15-20 years ago. I just read the gasoline idea and remembered the brake fluid. There are pleanty of products out there that can take care of a little gunk, safely. I've become a much better, non-professional, detailer since then. Shame on me.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #34
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Brake fluid on PAINT?? HELL NO!!!!

3M adhesive remover is the only thing you'll ever need to wipe off any kind of goo, slime, tar, or mysterious substance. I've used it for over 15 years on every car I own.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #35
TheAviator

Drives: 2012 Black Camaro 1LT
Thanks everybody, OK going with the adhesive remover next. The vinegar and water didn't work.

I think 2012-1822 above hit the nail on the head, I do believe it was a spider web. That stuff is crazy. I guess that's why the army is looking into making bullet proof materials from spider webs because that S is hell getting off. Like I said its about 85% gone, but there are still 2 smears that are visible slightly, you can't even really see them from a distance, but up close, they are there. Just bugs the crap out of me.

Spider web makes the most sense. I have a ton of spider webs all over the yard, spiders are constantly throwing up webs. When I first noticed it it looked like 2 long very thin white scratches, probably exactly how a spider silk would look. When I went to remove its just smeared and smeared, so that makes the most sense. I think a bug slime trail would have been a lot wider than what this was. Spider silk makes the most sense, and also makes sense why the crap is so hard to get off.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #36
SeriouslySinning

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2LT 3.6 V6
try iso alcohol... takes tree sap off in a second

Seriously Sinning - "Veronica"
Commandment 11 - Thou shall not travel slowly.
SeriouslySinning is offline   Reply With Quote