Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-06-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
camarocruzer

Drives: White 2014 2SS/RS Coupe
CAI, Inc Install Question

Hey all,

I am installing my CAI from Cold Air Inductions, Inc into my new 2014 SS.

I set the box into the old filter location, and the hole lines up with the bolt location at the top (if you're looking at the unit from standing in the front of the car by the driver's headlight), but the left side, there is a space between the lower left side of the box and the front of the car.

There isn't a "tight seal" there......I'll post a pic in a minute to show what I mean...

Is that normal? Like, that's what you are supposed to have there? I don't recall what I had done on my 2011 SS before I took it out to put it into this one.

Thanks

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / SOLO J-Pipes / Vitesse Throttle Controller / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop / BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / BMR Front End Links
camarocruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
ntmad8tr
Music City Camaro Club

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Spring Special Edition
Mine has that slight gap there also, they look like they are about 3/4" short on that side. Doesn't seem to have affected mine that much really that I can tell. I thought maybe they had done it that way to prevent someone from crushing the wire run that is there.
EMC(SS) USN RET. 2014 2SS Spring Special Edition,1 of 293. Cold Air Inc. CAI,Apex Catch Can, Kooks 1-7/8" headers, Kooks HF Cats, X-pipe, Kooks mufflers,Graphite, BMR Toe links, BMR rear trailing arms, MRR228s,RGB ORACLE Colorshift Halos, RGB LED Engine bay and Grille lighting, Diode Dynamics RGB Fog Lights. NightOwl LED control system. Painted engine cover by S.L. Customs. River Cities Creations painted strut brace. My Build Thread
ntmad8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:19 AM   #3
camarocruzer

Right that's what I was thinking as well. I know more now than I did back when I got the 2011, but still have questions you know?

Thanks a lot, much appreciated!

CAI by Cold Air Inductions, Inc with Strong MAF Sensor / Borla ATAK Cat-Back Exhaust / SOLO Performance High Flow Catalytic Converters / SOLO J-Pipes / Vitesse Throttle Controller / Apex Catch Can / Vmax Ported Throttle Body / Range v8 AFM Disable Module by Range Technology / SLP Fade to Black Side Gill Decals / APEX Washer Replacement System and CAI Scoop / BMR Front and Rear Sway Bars / BMR Rear Trailing Arms / BMR Front End Links
Old 07-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
I would think it would allow it to pull air from either area of the radiator support. That area is still forward of latent engine heat when moving. The stock intake tube on our 2014 isn't a great fit either up front. I'm also not too crazy about the cheapo foam deflector that is two way taped around the end of it either. Seems this stuff will break down over time and probably get sucked into the intake box.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
It looks fine to me as I had it on my previous V6.

What about the rest of the parts? Are they fitting nicely ??

I'm planning to buy this intake too
Old 07-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
They can't seal the bottom tight. If so, where would the air come from in a sealed box?

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
camarocruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
They can't seal the bottom tight. If so, where would the air come from in a sealed box?
True -- Have to say, the car drives completely different now with it installed. It's more responsive on the gas pedal, and i don't know if this sounds right to you all but before i installed it, i would basically have two "detents" on the acceleration.

The first would be me hitting the gas and I'd accelerate. Then, if I wanted to go even faster, I'd press down further on the gas and the engine would "jolt" to a faster response.

Now, not only does the engine "sound" different, but there are not more "detents" on acceleration. Now it is like my old Grand Prix GXP, where you press down on the gas and it flies.

Does that sound right? It's the only way I can explain it, and I LOVE it!!!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
camarocruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
It looks fine to me as I had it on my previous V6.

What about the rest of the parts? Are they fitting nicely ??

I'm planning to buy this intake too
Hi -- yes, the rest of the parts are fine, it's nice and snug!

See my other post above this one -- I'd definitely buy it if i were you.

Oh and also -- this car came with a "strong" MAF sensor.....my 2011 SS came with a weak sensor and so I had to go and buy a strong one for $89.

If anyone wants to buy a barely used strong MAF sensor, pm me.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:04 AM   #9
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocruzer View Post
Hi -- yes, the rest of the parts are fine, it's nice and snug!

See my other post above this one -- I'd definitely buy it if i were you.

Oh and also -- this car came with a "strong" MAF sensor.....my 2011 SS came with a weak sensor and so I had to go and buy a strong one for $89.

If anyone wants to buy a barely used strong MAF sensor, pm me.
Excellent. It is a good intake I can tell more than any member in this forum because end of May every year the temperature here gets high to about 131F.

It stays like this for almost 2 weeks, with plenty of dust. The air coming from the desert cuts through your face like a razor but CAI never stops building power. Im really impressed with it.

I need to check my MAF sensor as my car is still a virgin
Old 07-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
ticowarbird
BOHIC

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS "Enola"
Quote:
True -- Have to say, the car drives completely different now with it installed. It's more responsive on the gas pedal, and i don't know if this sounds right to you all but before i installed it, i would basically have two "detents" on the acceleration.

The first would be me hitting the gas and I'd accelerate. Then, if I wanted to go even faster, I'd press down further on the gas and the engine would "jolt" to a faster response.

Now, not only does the engine "sound" different, but there are not more "detents" on acceleration. Now it is like my old Grand Prix GXP, where you press down on the gas and it flies.

Does that sound right? It's the only way I can explain it, and I LOVE it!!!!!
That pretty much just sealed my fate. Was looking into which intake to get and been reading left and right but this made the decision.
Attached Images

ticowarbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
camarocruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
Excellent. It is a good intake I can tell more than any member in this forum because end of May every year the temperature here gets high to about 131F.

It stays like this for almost 2 weeks, with plenty of dust. The air coming from the desert cuts through your face like a razor but CAI never stops building power. Im really impressed with it.

I need to check my MAF sensor as my car is still a virgin

Pm me if you'd like to know how to find that out. It's really really easy. Or pm me and I'll give you my cell and do it that way (more instant)

Old 07-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticowarbird View Post
That pretty much just sealed my fate. Was looking into which intake to get and been reading left and right but this made the decision.
If you have a 2010 Camaro SS you might want to look into Vararam's intake. You can stick your hand through the front grill right into the mouth of the intake. It gets the most direct and shortest source of outside air of any of the intakes.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Pm me if you'd like to know how to find that out. It's really really easy. Or pm me and I'll give you my cell and do it that way (more instant)
That is really kind of you, but Im not in the states and my modification plan will start during the winter. I just cant approach the hood during the summer