Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Which transmission should I choose?
LS3 Manual 62 53.45%
L99 Automatic 54 46.55%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2016, 12:44 PM   #1
shortstop4

Drives: '13 Summit White ZL1 M6
SS Camaro LS3 or L99?

I am in the market for a weekend toy and will be purchasing an SS within the next 60 days. I am debating heavily on whether to go with the LS3 manual or L99 automatic. I had a 2011 Synergy Green L99 SS several years ago and I loved it, but I was thinking about changing to the LS3 manual since I will only be driving the SS on weekends (my daily driver is an automatic sedan).

I love the look of the Summit White 1LE's which push me towards the manual tranny, but I could always get the automatic and wrap the hood and change the wheels.

I have never owned a stick shift, but I have driven one a long time ago. I just think it might be more fun. What say the folks who have driven both the LS3 and L99?
Old 02-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
For me, there was never a question. I had to have the LS3, nothing like a v-8 and manual transmission. Mine is also a weekend toy, not a daily driver.
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Drove a lot of manuals when I was younger and they can be fun to drive. I like my L99 and have no desire to have to shift thru the gears anymore. I'm only home 2 weeks each month and only take it out on nice days but I still like the auto trans.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
Lndryguru

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I like L99 no shifting if you want to play you have the paddle shifters, I installed cold airtake-shorty headers-diablo tuner-deleted the rear mufflers-installed strut tower brace the car runs strong and handles well i am satisfied with it.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
mustang50lx

Drives: 2015 SS
Manual trans. is my vote, and with that you get a few more horsepower too.
mustang50lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
The Dutchman
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstop4 View Post
I am in the market for a weekend toy and will be purchasing an SS within the next 60 days. I am debating heavily on whether to go with the LS3 manual or L99 automatic. I had a 2011 Synergy Green L99 SS several years ago and I loved it, but I was thinking about changing to the LS3 manual since I will only be driving the SS on weekends (my daily driver is an automatic sedan).

I love the look of the Summit White 1LE's which push me towards the manual tranny, but I could always get the automatic and wrap the hood and change the wheels.

I have never owned a stick shift, but I have driven one a long time ago. I just think it might be more fun. What say the folks who have driven both the LS3 and L99?
Without a doubt. And way cooler.
The Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
The first SS I drove was an L99, and honestly stock for stock the LS3 feels like a different kind of monster

I was immediately head over heels for how much the LS3 could sit you back in your seat. I DD my LS3 so that should give you an idea at how easy it is to use this car on a daily basis.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
WeflyhereSS

Drives: 2012 Black on Black Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lndryguru View Post
I like L99 no shifting if you want to play you have the paddle shifters, I installed cold airtake-shorty headers-diablo tuner-deleted the rear mufflers-installed strut tower brace the car runs strong and handles well i am satisfied with it.
what he said !
Old 02-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
The first SS I drove was an L99, and honestly stock for stock the LS3 feels like a different kind of monster

I was immediately head over heels for how much the LS3 could sit you back in your seat. I DD my LS3 so that should give you an idea at how easy it is to use this car on a daily basis.
Very true, but a good tune on the L99 makes a world of difference. Either way you go, it's a win cause it is a Camaro
Old 02-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #10
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Another angle ... if there is a louder exhaust on the car it sounds much better with a manual trans in my opinion. I've got the Dual-Mode NPP factory option and sounds real nice shifting up and down through the gears with the manual.
Although in most situations I accelerate faster in an automatic compared to when I do the shifting.

If you get the manual it is a good idea to install separate clutch master reservoir for about $40 and keep the fluid fresh if you plan on having the car for a long while.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #11
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Stick, these cars are so much fun. There was never any question in my mind. I've owned auto V8's... I've owned manual V8's. I decided never to go auto V8 again. Glad I did.

I don't race my car often. I bought the car partly because I wanted a fun ride. Stick vs. Auto - no question...

And don't let those auto guys tell you that you'll suffer through traffic and/or any bs like that. Complete nonsense - take it from a Socal native... you can actually make those commutes lots of fun as well, lol.

Time for it all to come back to you - get a manual V8 Camaro.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #12
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Once the l99 has a good trans tune its a beast....ive driven everything over the years....manual...auto. Dont listen top those that have no idea about the l99 with a trans tune. This aint your grandads automatic anymore junior. 2 different opinions are going to generate some good posts.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
If I could go back I probably would have gotten a manual tbh. When I first got my L99 I wasn't interested in stick, but after modding my car I feel like I wish I had more control sometimes. Even though paddle shifting is fun. Still got a ton of mods to do on my car. My dad just got a 2015 z/28 so I can at drive that sometimes lol
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold
Slp 25% UDP
Katech Tensioner Pulley
Circle D 3600-3700 multi disk Stall
GM 3.91 gears
DDS carbon fiber driveshaft
ZL1 fuel pump & injectors
Flex fuel sensor(91/E85)
https://wheelwell.com/kris-perez
krisprz2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
Yellow 1
Grumpy Grey-haired Guy

Drives: Camaro, Corvette & Merc C300(daily)
LS3; +26 more horses and you actually feel a part of the car when changing up and down the gears, for heel and toe and a blip on the throttle when changing down for a tight bend it just feels 'right' - though if I did a lot of city driving I could see the attraction of an auto box.... Decisions, decisions......