Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-26-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
MoeIv

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Exclamation TH400 reverse lights - HELP

I've recently done a 6l80e to a th400 swap, Im using a jakes level 3 trans and a b&m outlaw shifter.
Cars starts up fine, speedo works but the reverse lights don't come on when the shifter is in the R position.

Any help out there??
MoeIv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
LS7 427
10.11 @ 136.32

Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
That issue has been beat to death with all of us who have done the 6L80 to TH400 swap. No fix out there that I'm aware of. No reverse lights and no cruise control are the two functions missing with this swap.

Built, Tuned and Maintained By........
LS7 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
pancherj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Can't you just wire the reverse lights separately from the stock harness? All they need is power and a ground. Ground can be through a switch on the shifter. Just a thought...
pancherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Mine doesn't work either. The guys that done the swap said they could install a switch but I'll do that if it won't pass inspection. Also no cc and speedometer works but not accurate. Stock trans gauge doesn't work either
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:43 AM   #5
MoeIv

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
Mine doesn't work either. The guys that done the swap said they could install a switch but I'll do that if it won't pass inspection. Also no cc and speedometer works but not accurate. Stock trans gauge doesn't work either
I don't mind the others not working I just need the reverse lights to pass inspection
Old 05-27-2016, 01:46 AM   #6
MoeIv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancherj View Post
Can't you just wire the reverse lights separately from the stock harness? All they need is power and a ground. Ground can be through a switch on the shifter. Just a thought...
I'll give that a try but I think that only works with the m6 to th400 swap. I heard somewhere that it messes with the canbus for us auto guys
Old 05-27-2016, 02:04 AM   #7
MoeIv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS7 427 View Post
That issue has been beat to death with all of us who have done the 6L80 to TH400 swap. No fix out there that I'm aware of. No reverse lights and no cruise control are the two functions missing with this swap.
All the threads I've looked at were around a year old so I figured that there might be a solution for that by now. I've looked around in the g8 forums as well, one guy seemed to get the reverse lights working but that thread died and no response from the op
Old 05-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #8
pancherj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeIv View Post
I'll give that a try but I think that only works with the m6 to th400 swap. I heard somewhere that it messes with the canbus for us auto guys
I think if you bypass the stock harness altogether and run a new ground (from your switch on the shifter) and a new power, it should work. It's worth a try anyway. You may have to unhook the stock plug from the reverse light (not just splice into it).

Those of us who swapped from a TR6060 are definitely spoiled!!
Old 05-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #9
MoeIv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancherj View Post
I think if you bypass the stock harness altogether and run a new ground (from your switch on the shifter) and a new power, it should work. It's worth a try anyway. You may have to unhook the stock plug from the reverse light (not just splice into it).

Those of us who swapped from a TR6060 are definitely spoiled!!
You're definitely spoiled! I was thinking of doing somerhing like that
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
pancherj

That's exactly what I had envisioned for your car. Use the reverse-detent microswitch to ground one side of the circuit and power the other side from the fuse panel. I would unhook the stock connector at the reverse light and not even mess with it. That way it shouldn't mess with the canbus at all.

On my car, I haven't wired the neutral-detent microswitch up yet to control the neutral lock out. So, my car will technically try to start in any gear.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #11
MoeIv

UPDATE: Reverse lights finally work using pancherj's method, pretty straight forward really.
However you'll need a microswitch if you haven't gotten one already
Old 06-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #12
pancherj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeIv View Post
UPDATE: Reverse lights finally work using pancherj's method, pretty straight forward really.
However you'll need a microswitch if you haven't gotten one already
Glad it worked for you!
Old 07-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #13
LS7 427
10.11 @ 136.32

Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
Nice job guys. I installed the microswitch when I did my swap but never hooked up the reverse lights Any chance you could elaborate on exactly where your wiring is running to/from? Possibly pictures?

Built, Tuned and Maintained By........
LS7 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
MoeIv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS7 427 View Post
Nice job guys. I installed the microswitch when I did my swap but never hooked up the reverse lights Any chance you could elaborate on exactly where your wiring is running to/from? Possibly pictures?
I'm not able to give you the exact details because I explained the process to my local electrician and had him do the work. However you should locate the reverse light wires from the back and hook them up to the switch itself then run a relay because the switch can't handle two reverse lights.

I have some pics I hope they'll help I'll try to get more later on if needed
Attached Images