Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
Adam63impala

Drives: 63' chevy impalaSS , 12'Cam89'Cam
Changing auto tranny fluid

Okay for whatever reason I cannot get the search button to work on my phone , I'm wanting to drain and refill my 2012 v6 auto tranny. . Anyone know of a thread with the procedures or a video? My owners manual doesn't really say. Thanks in advance .
Adam63impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
The search isn't working for me either right now....strange. I did the same search a couple days ago, there are results in the forum.
What I read then was its best to have a competent dealer flush the auto tranny fluid and service the filter. If you do it at home, you might get half the fluid out dropping the pan. The torque converter will hold quite a bit of fluid. I've done the "drop the pan on jackstands" deal before in my garage years ago (not my 2012 Camaro).....a messy operation. When that trans pan seal breaks.....nothing nice, and on your back for the whole operation.

Or a reliable transmission shop. They have some sort of machine that hooks up and will flush the fluid. I'm at 50k. The manual states under normal driving conditions, service the auto trans at 97,500 miles. I plan on having mine "flushed/serviced" somewhere between 60-75k miles. Have to do some research on my local Chevy dealers, search out a reliable and honest dealership service department....if all those words belong in the same sentence.

Has anybody had their auto transmission serviced? Fluid and filter replacement? What sort of cost for this service? Issues?
Feedback/comments appreciated.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Chevy dealers and transmission shops all charge around $150 bucks for the basic drop-pan, replace filter and pan gasket. The same service plus the flush is around $50-75 dollars more, they connect to the transmission cooling lines that go to the radiator and the old fluid gets pumped out and fresh fluid gets sucked in. I always have just done the basic service, it's hydraulic fluid not crankcase oil, replacing some/most of it freshens it up enough for me.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
Adam63impala

Yeahh but I keep reading it isn't good to actually flush the transmission .. and I've done a filter change in my 63 chevy and you're right it isn't much fun! Hopefully we get some advice here soon . I'm at 101k now ..
Old 10-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #5
Maverick1776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
I have a similar issue, where I am wondering how hard would it be to do the work myself.
My car just past the 55K mark, and I was wondering if its ok to change the transmission fluid ?
If so, what brand, and do you recommend any solvents/flushing fluids ?
I have a 2013 2LS. Its my daily driver, and I tend to have a heavy foot with it.
I don't mind starting maintenance early. I even have new spark plugs ready to install. Picked up Denso Iridium TT.
I'm planning on seafoaming the engine, changing the oil, the spark plugs, and transmission fluid if necessary.

Mods I have are rotofab intake, apex scoop with washer relocation, vmax ported TB, and catch can. No tunes yet.
Maverick1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #6
polizzio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam63impala View Post
Yeahh but I keep reading it isn't good to actually flush the transmission .. and I've done a filter change in my 63 chevy and you're right it isn't much fun! Hopefully we get some advice here soon . I'm at 101k now ..
I'm with you, I have some concerns about flushing, "hooking up their machine and flush".....like exposing my tranny to everyone else's junk. And whomever executes this operation, their attention to details. Our cars ya cannot even easily check the fluid level "post service".

101k...you are overdue. At the very least, I feel you should drop the pan, replace the filter, and whatever fluid loss replaced. Historically, GM auto trannies bite the dust somewhere after 150k from a lack of any service done/pure neglect. And it isn't cheap.

I sure hope other owners chime in with their experiences. What services they had or did.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:31 AM   #7
polizzio

Search successful this morning. Attached a couple related threads.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...smission+fluid

Old 10-31-2016, 10:50 AM   #8
Adam63impala

Thanks for all that ! Guess I am going to have to call the one chevy dealership here and see how much they charge .. I went there once and then must have dropped something on my key fob and smashed all the buttons in and totally ruined it . Of course they said it was already like that . Really don't want to use them but ..