Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Senate passes energy bill, boosting mileage standards

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate passed an energy bill late Thursday that includes an increase in automobile fuel economy, new laws against energy price-gouging and a requirement for huge increases in the production of ethanol.

In an eleventh-hour compromise fashioned after two days of closed-door meetings, an agreement was reached to increase average fuel economy by 40percent to 35 miles per gallon for cars, SUVs and pickup trucks by 2020.

But the fuel economy issue threatened to topple the legislation up to the last minute. Majority Leader Harry Reid held off the vote until late into the evening so several senators could be called back to Capitol Hill to provide the 60-vote margin needed to overcome a threatened filibuster from pro-auto industry senators.

Shortly before midnight, senators voted 62-32 to cut off debate, and followed by passing the bill 65-27. The measure now awaits action by the House, which is expected to take it up next week. But attempts to combine the two bills and send legislation to President Bush probably won't be possible until later this year.

It would be the first increase in vehicle fuel efficiency since the current 22.7 mpg for cars was put in place in 1989 and the first time Congress has imposed a new auto efficiency mandate in 32 years.

Supporters said the new requirement would save 2.5 million barrels of oil a day by 2025, when large numbers of the more fuel-stingy cars will be on the road.

Republicans complained that the energy bill is tilted too much toward renewables and fuel efficiency and does nothing to boost domestic oil or natural gas production.

But its supporters said it reflects a shift to new energy priorities, away from promoting fossil fuels to supporting other energy sources such wind and biomass to make electricity and ethanol to power cars and trucks.

"This bill starts America on a path toward reducing our reliance on oil," declared Reid.

But Democrats didn't get all that they wanted.

Republicans blocked Democratic efforts to pass a $32 billion package of tax incentives for renewable energy and clean fuels, objecting to increasing taxes on oil companies by $29 billion over 10 years to pay for it.

Democrats also were unable to include in the bill a requirement for electric utilities to produce at least 15 percent of their electricity from renewable fuels such as wind and biomass. Senators from the South objected, saying the region couldn't meet such a standard, and Republicans refused to let the measure come up for a vote.

But the legislation provides a bonanza to farmers and the ethanol industry. It requires ethanol production to grow to at least 36 billion gallon a year by 2022, a sevenfold increase of the amount of ethanol processed last year.

The legislation also calls for:

• Price gouging provisions that make it unlawful to charge an "unconscionably excessive" price for oil products including gasoline and give the federal government new authority to investigate oil industry market manipulation.

• New appliance and lighting efficiency standards and a requirement that the federal government accelerate use of more efficient lighting in public buildings.

• Grants, loan guarantees and other assistance to promote research into fuel efficient vehicles, including hybrids, advanced diesel and battery technologies. percent ethanol or biodiesel fuels.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I'm glad about everything but the MPG increase. I understand it and realisticly we surely need it, but I AM a muscle car junkie and was hoping to see the new muscle car war play out. They way it is now it looks like 2010 is going to be the new 1970. Oh well gotta get with the times. I was reading recently about the first ethanol Mustang to get into the 10s, so I think we will find a way. I can deal with a ten second car that runs on fart gas.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Price gouging provisions that make it unlawful to charge an "unconscionably excessive" price for oil products including gasoline and give the federal government new authority to investigate oil industry market manipulation.
I wonder what the details on this are?
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Ethanol actually provides a little more hp than regular fuel. It burns hotter - but that's besides the point

Jist remember, that this isn't every single car must avg. 35 mpg. It's a company-wide average. So look at it this way. say GM produces 70 percent of thier vehicle in 2020 with 40 mpg, witch is easily doable. This includes cars and crossovers and small SUV's. The other 30% is trucks, and Muscle Cars ...they average 28...which is underrating, they already get that...then the fleet average will be somewhere around 36.5 mpg...it's doable, and not as hard as most think. in the past Ten years we've seen dramatic increases in fuel economy. give another 13, we'll make it

All good news to me...(but) I just hope this includes Foriegn cars, too. They're not to smart in the inventing dept. only the improvment. They steal every on of our ideas and make them better, we could have done that!
Old 06-23-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSNightrod View Post
Oh well gotta get with the times. I was reading recently about the first ethanol Mustang to get into the 10s, so I think we will find a way. I can deal with a ten second car that runs on fart gas.
Ethanol is produced from crops, methane or (fart gas) is from the other end...
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:21 AM   #6
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
Lol it was intended as a joke. The trouble with ethanol is that MPG is actually worse, and right now it costs more to make it than it does to use it. I do see it becomong more economically viable. I too am interested in seeing how the big oil companies are going to be regulated. Personally I think that if you make a $10 billion profit in a QUARTER, something funny is going on.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote