Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #15
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
i would guess it would beat out the competitors ported tb... they only cnc "pretty up" the first couple inches of the tb, they do not touch the back except just scuff it up, they do not enlarge the bore... the v6 throttle bodies stock really aren't that bad inside. they're just small. This unit actually makes sense to me.

That said, all of the ported intakes i have sent out to date have been done so in a way to maximize airflow and reduce turbulence with the stock 72mm tb. The stock tb is mounted slightly higher up on the bore, so i fill the bottom part and open up the top to match the stock/vmax.

If someone that currently has an intake that ive modified is thinking about this upgrade, i can redo the front of your intake to match the new setup for a nominal fee (most of this fee would be the shipping cost to get the intake back to you... I offer free shipping in the lower 48 on ported intakes, but that actually costs me between $30 to $40 a whack depending on your location, so a little food for thought there)... Or you could probably do it yourself if you wanted...Porting plastic kinda sucks because you have to use low speeds to avoid melting and just ruining tools getting clogged with melted plastic.

So because of this new product intro, I am going to have to offer a stock/vmax port job, or an Overkill 80mm unit port job. In theory price should not change, but i would prefer to send the finished piece out the door to fit what you are going to run. sixtyseven, if you see this, since im working on your intake now, ive sent you a message seeing what you prefer i do, so let me know.

i have asked Will if i can get the adapter plate so i can port to match if necessary for those that do plan on this and also want one of my intakes. if i can get a whole 80mm setup, id be more than happy to flow test several different combos (stock, "unported" 80mm tb, JF ported stock tb, and JF ported 80mm tb), but thats up to Will.

Kudos to Will at Overkill for coming up with the next big thing!

(Please excuse my worse than usual typing/punctuation... i am typing this on my pos windows tablet, and i apologize for turning this post into being about "me" if you think it comes across that way, but if i ship something out of here, i want it to be the best for what you want to do in the end, and in my mind this new product would totally change how i do what i would do if you buy one of my intakes and go with the 80mm tb unit
You. I like you.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:19 AM   #16
Maverick1776

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
This is awesome news. Glad I havnt bought my throttle body yet. I was planning to, next month. This+Spacer, and ported manifold would be a nice upgrade.
Maverick1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:24 AM   #17
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1776 View Post
This is awesome news. Glad I havnt bought my throttle body yet. I was planning to, next month. This+Spacer, and ported manifold would be a nice upgrade.
Unfortunately I bought my TB about two weeks ago. :(

Old 01-08-2016, 03:23 AM   #18
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by willoverkill View Post
Price is on my website, it's very competitive versus a ported one, especially if you keep your core.

I won't be testing directly versus a competing product but I'll get a more official results versus stock when the right opportunity arises. In my own testing, I saw some good power gains on the GM torque PID while scanning, saw an increase in MAF frequency around 150hz, reduction in manifold vacuum at full throttle from the MAP sensor, all indicators that the throttle body is moving more air and making more power.

Sixtyseven, you can see in the first picture how the area that the intake tubing gets installed over is larger on the new throttle body, that's what I was referring to. It's 3.5" versus the 3" of the factory throttle body.

Clashley1976, I also have an LLT throttle body solution I'll post about soon!
I sent you an email.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 04:03 AM   #19
MikosV6
Account Suspended

Drives: '15 Camaro 1LS/M6
Don't get me wrong, I think mods like this are always a good thing for the V6 community. However, are we just assuming that larger the throttle body, the better?

After all, the engine can only take in so much air due to the intake manifold runner design, inlet tract inside the head and ultimately the size of the intake valves leading to the combustion chamber.

Also, does this throttle body overkill address the WOT at 4K+ rpm issue than we all have? And, if it does, isn't this a kind of mechanical brute force way to solve it rather than unlocking the code in the stock ECU tune that causes it?
MikosV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #20
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
The fact that Will said he sees a reduction in intake manifold vacuum read via the map sensor leads me to believe the lfx wants more air.

A thought occurred to me this morning though... Nitrous guys, what's the ID measurement of your plate? If it's smaller than 80mm, this may pose a potential flow issue/unwanted turbulence. Is there an 80mm ID plate available?

It should also be noted that this won't work well with an airraid tb spacer if you're a guy that's hung up on using one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:30 PM   #21
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Yes, the nitrous plate is smaller...Its why i didnt beta test the TB. Nitrous Outlet doesnt have a 80mm plate. Only way to make it work is to go to a spray nozzle in the intake tube and not use a plate at all.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #22
Reiners88

Drives: '12 RS Summit White
Hm.....kinda glad I didnt spend the money on a ported stock TB. I'll definitely want one of these if there are some good gains from it for sure.
Reiners88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #23
DGM

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS - Ashen Gray
It was mentioned that on an FI car the 80mm throttle body wouldn't make a difference... would that be accurate info? I have a vmax and would change it out if it would...
"WIDOW" Overkill Edition w/Mace Cams,80mm tb,Jacfab spacer/ported intake,Alky Control,ARH off road pipes,SOLO custom system,3.91 gears, MGW,Phantom grilles,ZL1 appearance pkge, 3dCarbon vents, Lingenfelter hood and spoiler, PLX boost/wideband modules/gauge,ZL1 fuel pump,LF3 hpfp,DSS aluminum driveshaft,JPSS sway bars, Z28 replica wheels and CxRacing coilovers..
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #24
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
Yes, the nitrous plate is smaller...Its why i didnt beta test the TB. Nitrous Outlet doesnt have a 80mm plate. Only way to make it work is to go to a spray nozzle in the intake tube and not use a plate at all.
I wonder if the Nitrous Outlet 14-15 LTX truck 83mm plate could be made to work?

The thought had also crossed my mind to machine the Overkill adapter plate into a plate similar to the Nitrous Outlet plates so it can spray... HMMMMMM
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #25
DGM

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS - Ashen Gray
Will- I have sent emails with contact info - not sure at this point if you are getting them...
"WIDOW" Overkill Edition w/Mace Cams,80mm tb,Jacfab spacer/ported intake,Alky Control,ARH off road pipes,SOLO custom system,3.91 gears, MGW,Phantom grilles,ZL1 appearance pkge, 3dCarbon vents, Lingenfelter hood and spoiler, PLX boost/wideband modules/gauge,ZL1 fuel pump,LF3 hpfp,DSS aluminum driveshaft,JPSS sway bars, Z28 replica wheels and CxRacing coilovers..
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #26
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
It was mentioned that on an FI car the 80mm throttle body wouldn't make a difference... would that be accurate info? I have a vmax and would change it out if it would...
I'm going to be testing that real soon, but it should help on high boost cars. The smaller the pipe the higher the velocity, after a certain point it becomes turbulent.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #27
ghosted
BCS Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Will- I have sent emails with contact info - not sure at this point if you are getting them...
He's probably slammed right now after unveiling this, so just be as patient as possible.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #28
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I have a manifold spacer and can adapt my intake tube easily- I've got my paypal ready but was wondering if "looking" for someone to test it with the spacer meant offering a special deal? I can port my manifold to match easily- it's already matched to my ported stock TB.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote