Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #15
CamiLFX

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I'd run a couple tanks of premium through it to rule out ping from poor octane then take it back to the dealer and say I put the best gas in and its still the same. But the LFX should be fine on 87 let alone 89.... Don't put a catch can on until you get this sorted.

If you do I'll bet that dealer will say thats the culprit or worse void your warranty. Better safe than sorry.
I've been running 91 until I can get the car into the shop. Should be in the shop by Friday.
CamiLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #16
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Did you pull the TB off the UIM when you pulled the manifold to clean it? I find it odd that's it just a little click when you press the pedal, and I was thinking it was a carbon-coated TB blade.

Unless my laptop and headphones aren't giving me the right sound.
It's funny that you say that, because that's exactly what I thought it was when I first noticed the noise. It sounded as if the TB was spazzing out lol. I did clean the TB very well though. It nearly looked brand new when I reinstalled it.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #17
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
You're probably going to have to take the intake back off again and do the rest of the valves. You can't half azz something like that and expect it to run perfect.
I wasn't expecting the sound to stop after doing my failed job, but I figured the BG cleaning would help at least a little.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #18
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Gas isn't going to change how it runs significantly. It's direct injection. It changes how much mid range power you'll have and that's it. On the plus side, it sounds like you don't have a real issue and just need to finish cleaning the upper intake side.

Related. Those European service shops probably know what they're doing. Good isn't cheap. Cheap isn't good.
I'm going to take the car to a different dealership, and if their solution doesn't work for me, i'll take it to one of the local euro shops to have the intake valves blasted and hope it works. If not, i'm not sure what i'm going to do. College is coming up in about a month and I can't have all of my focus on this noise.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #19
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiLFX View Post
It's funny that you say that, because that's exactly what I thought it was when I first noticed the noise. It sounded as if the TB was spazzing out lol. I did clean the TB very well though. It nearly looked brand new when I reinstalled it.
Can you isolate where the noise is coming from on the engine? I'm worried for you that it's the timing chain guides and the dealer is booting you to get out of warranty work

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 AM   #20
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Can you isolate where the noise is coming from on the engine? I'm worried for you that it's the timing chain guides and the dealer is booting you to get out of warranty work
Why would the dealer do that? I always thought warranty work was a gravy train for them. Or, do they not pay good flat hours for warranty repairs?
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #21
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Why would the dealer do that? I always thought warranty work was a gravy train for them. Or, do they not pay good flat hours for warranty repairs?
Depends on the dealership. If they have a lot of business coming in that's not warranty work, they probably don't want to spend the time diagnosing this engine and doing the timing chain work.

I don't know what the book time is for the job, but it's probably not worth them losing a whole bay and a tech for a good chunk of time.

I don't see why a dealership would just say "use better fuel" and let him go, when clearly it could be an issue with the engine.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote