Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #29
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
You just knew this one was going to go, "me too" or "I go out of my way to look for freeways and huge flying rocks."

I'll agree it's a slightly more likely a place for a chip to happen given the speeds involved but how many two-lanes where you drive are the speed limits 50-60MPH where people drive 10 over? Not much of a difference if you're stuck behind a gravel truck.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #30
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Some weekends I drive the highways.........on ROMP and off, on ROMP and off, on ROMP - repeat until your doing this
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #31
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Just get a paint protection film.... Personally, I DD mine, and I bought it to drive it. Only reason I avoid certain roads are because NJ potholes are insane
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:18 PM   #32
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
You have a base model Camaro not a Bugatti
So True
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Said the man who woke up in his Camaro with a Bugatti hanging out of his nose.

GM has built a half a million of these things , they wont become collector Items till we are all dead and turned to dirt . Just drive the car and enjoy .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #33
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Some are really missing the point here. No, these aren't Bugattis, and I'm all for the "these aren't museum pieces, so drive them how they're meant to be driven" thought process, but that doesn't mean people should be crucified for trying to keep their investment nice. Some people take pride in their cars, and prefer not to show up to events and cruises in a beat-to-hell, dented and dinged up Camaro that's embarrassing and looks pathetic.

This almost falls in line with the people that swing their doors open into yours in a parking lot, then look at you like you're crazy when you get mad, because a car is nothing more than a tool to them. I can't believe some car enthusiasts savvy enough to seek out and register for a forum like this, would put themselves on that same level.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #34
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCamaro View Post
Some are really missing the point here. No, these aren't Bugattis, and I'm all for the "these aren't museum pieces, so drive them how they're meant to be driven" thought process, but that doesn't mean people should be crucified for trying to keep their investment nice. Some people take pride in their cars, and prefer not to show up to events and cruises in a beat-to-hell, dented and dinged up Camaro that's embarrassing and looks pathetic.

This almost falls in line with the people that swing their doors open into yours in a parking lot, then look at you like you're crazy when you get mad, because a car is nothing more than a tool to them. I can't believe some car enthusiasts savvy enough to seek out and register for a forum like this, would put themselves on that same level.

1st: a car is not an investment. Snap out of it.

2nd: we care about cars. For the 3rd time. Use clearlplex for windshield, and clear bra for front end. I can't do anything else for you.

All of my cars look new and I DRIVE them. No garage bs here.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #35
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCamaro View Post
Some are really missing the point here. No, these aren't Bugattis, and I'm all for the "these aren't museum pieces, so drive them" club, but that doesn't mean people can't keep their investment nice. Some people take pride in their cars, and prefer not to show up to events and cruises in a beat-to-hell, dented and dinged up Camaro that's embarrassing and looks pathetic.

I think you might be missing the point , He is afraid to drive his car on a freeway or highway,
That doesnt mean you cant have a sense of pride and keep your car looking great, I drive mine all year rain snow sleet and sun and guess what not a week goes by when somebody does not complement me on what a beautiful car it is . It is not full of dents or dings , Now it does have some chips here or there and if it is bad I have my man( auto body/painter) fix them up . My Motto that I live by is life is too short I own a Camaro love it and love to drive it , Not going to sit in my garage just looking at it by myself or going to a occasional car show to have people tell me how pretty it is . Then drive it home to sit another month till it is Car and Coffee day again . Just because I actually drive my car and joined C5 doesnt make me a "lesser Level " then those who own Camaros to make them garage Queens , Unless that is all you bought it for then fine , But the OP drives it daily it sounds like to me .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #36
JMT

Drives: 2013 1LT
I do not relax on the interstates as much as the empty back roads on my way home from work. The interstate is boring and can be crazy sometimes.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #37
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
I haven't taken the freeway yet and I have received no rock chips or pits on my Camaro yet. It's still like new. This leads me to believe that freeways are responsible for the majority of rock chips and windshield pitting that we get on our cars.

Around here, there are tons of gravel trucks driving on the freeways with those stupid open bin containers that I'm sure spray the freeways with damage causing debris.

So, if you want to avoid a majority of rock chips and windshield pitting, then you have to take the local city roads or get a beater to drive on the freeways. I know this sounds really OCD, but I really hate rock chips and windshield pitting on my vehicles

Does anyone feel like I do?
I'm with you OP. I never do freeways. My car is over 3 yrs old now, with 8,800 miles and is pristine. I have XPEL all over the front as well as various strategic locations. I drove back from a show in OH last year, never entered a freeway. Added an hour to our ride home, but all back country roads, just me, the wife and the howl of the NPPs. I either trailer it if it's a big show I really want to attend or just stay around and drive side streets and back roads every summer weekend.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #38
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
I'm with you OP. I never do freeways. My car is over 3 yrs old now, with 8,800 miles and is pristine. I have XPEL all over the front as well as various strategic locations. I drove back from a show in OH last year, never entered a freeway. Added an hour to our ride home, but all back country roads, just me, the wife and the howl of the NPPs. I either trailer it if it's a big show I really want to attend or just stay around and drive side streets and back roads every summer weekend.
How do you avoid highways in the Detroit area bud? Thats tough! I have driven mine all over Detroit on 94, 696, 75, etc. Driven it to Grand Rapids on 94, 127, and 96. Even drove it to Dayton and back on US23 and I75. I avoid getting too close behind trucks and even most cars. 275 and 696 can be a bitch at rush hour though...have cars all around! The only real stone damage on the front was a big stone from a truck on US 12...a 2 lane road. It can happen anywhere. You know I have a ton of Xpel on mine and it works wonders. The one stone though hit so hard it dented the plastic right through the Xpel!

I live on a dirt road...so I go VERY slowly to pavement (a mile away!) And only when its dry! I drive it on highways...just carefully.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #39
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Lol. You'd be surprised how far Telegraph and Woodward will take you my friend. For most weekend fun though, I head to northern Oakland county with another Camaro/Vette buddy and do some "spirited" driving out in the boonies, just us and the occasional cows and horses.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:13 AM   #40
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
base model camaro... drive is and who cares. if you paid the same price you did for a kia would be as concerned about it? its only going to depreciate so might as well enjoy it. cars like this are not investments (especially base models).

like said above clear bra and call it good if you are so concerned.

i have received more damage to cars on side streets and parking lots then i have on the freeways.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #41
TX_ED_SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
Mine us a DD and I try to keep it looking good but rock chips will happen. If I had a garage queen I might feel differently but I bought this car to drive it.

U.S. Army Retired
TX_ED_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:48 AM   #42
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
WOW!!!! I got my car in October of 2015 and already have 8000 miles on it. I'm not under any delusions that this car will ever be worth anything in my lifetime. Even if I could afford a $40,000 car to sit in my garage I still don't think I would do that. I drive mine in all kinds of weather and every road surface imaginable. I wan't my $40,000 worth of smiles out of it.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote