Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Did you buy your Camaro mostly to look good, or go fast?
I bought my Camaro mainly based on it's looks and style 334 71.98%
I bought my Camaro mainly based on it's power and performance ability 130 28.02%
Voters: 464. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #15
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
So when you decided to buy your Camaro, what was a more important factor in the decision to buy? Did you want a car you look good in?
Hmmmm, The car isn't going to help me much in that area...

Why did I but the car, primarily for the looks and styling, and because I've always liked Camaro's and Firebird's....

I did a few appearance mods early on, but the only remaining appearance mod is the GMPP dovetail spoiler...

I always knew I would do the performance mods but not to the degree I did.... I originally figured I would bolt on a maggie and that would be it.... Lots of cubic dollars later, well, It's substantially more race car than it is street car... And at this point, I wouldn't want it any other way...

Interesting poll, Thanks for starting it...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #16
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
I was driving a pickup truck at the time this beauty came out. Obama had his cash for clunkers plan in place, and i took advantage of it to buy my RJT '10 SS. Always loved the Camaro, and this new comeback car became a must have because it looked so damn kewl.
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #17
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
BOTH! I feel that the reason why I haven't done much with the engine on mine yet is because of the warranty plus I want someone who knows what they are doing if I decide to do a cam or supercharger. Screwing up the engine could be much more costly than screwing up a cosmetic thing.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:18 AM   #18
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
I havent bought mine yet, still waiting to make sure im stable before I pull the trigger and have another note! But I am buying for speed 100% I love the LS3 powerplant, LS anything gets me goin like nothing else! will spend maybe a couple grand in visuals, such as rims and things like that, but the money will be in performance hands down. If I cant go stupid fast I dont wanna go at all!
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #19
Intimidator333

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Inferno Orange.
Sorry have to say both also. Ok ok, I almost bought a Challenger and that would've been way more for looks but I'll state my reasons why I went with a Camaro.
1. Always been a Chevy guy. Always been a Camaro guy. Loved my Charger R/T I had before and really like Mopars but always felt guilty not driving a Chevy.
2. Although my Charger had higher miles on it and am sure was not taken care of very well by previous owners, I was a bit disappointed with the over all quality of the vehicle. Didn't want to spend lots of money on a Challenger to have the same problems after a few years.
3. Ok performance. Camaro SS and SRT-8 Mopars are neck and neck in engine displacement and HP. Mopars are boats and Camaros blow them away.
4. Ha looks! Love how the 5th gen is a throw back to the 1st gen. Interior wise Camaro stomps all other modern muscle.
So yeah, both.
Intimidator333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #20
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
Bought it for looks, they are an artistic masterpiece. I'm sure for 40K you can go faster another way!
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:36 AM   #21
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
For me it was mostly the performance, hence the V8 under my hood. Though the styling of the car is what drove me towards it in the first place. I was not a "car" guy before my Camaro, I was a "truck" guy. Hell, I had absolutely no interest in GM outside of the Corvette to begin with either lol.

I can say without a doubt though that, even with performance being a primary factor in my decision, I wouldn't have even considered a new 5.0 had I even known about it (got my car right before the 5.0's release, but had no word of it until after I got my Camaro). I just think they're ugly cars and plus they're freakin everywhere.

I did consider a SRT8 Challenger, but the 50k price tag was just not worth it.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:09 AM   #22
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
both
Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #23
Vipercar

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT/RS
Strictly for looks!
Vipercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #24
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Looks, but a "muscle" car without some HP looses its appeal.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #25
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Looks of course! Love those sexy hips!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nlgzxx
Old 06-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #26
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
looks and style. any car will go fast nowadays.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #27
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
BOTH!

the camaro is by far, in my opinion, the best looking car that is even remotely close to my budget and since power is a deal-breaker for me, i was mainly looking for any V6 car that made good power without hogging on the gas too much.
i will make a list of what i wanted in my car when i was shopping around for a replacement for the POS 2011 mazda 3 that had more problems after 1 year than my dad's F-150 had after 12 years and almost 100k miles. the AC was starting to act up. the brake rotors were tiiiiny and the dealership was surprised i made it a whole year before warping them to the point where they needed resurfacing. they said they last an average of 6 months before they warp. the engine was making funny noises and was already showing a small reduction in power after only 13k miles. my gas mileage started at 30MPG, but went down gradually to 26-27MPG within a year. this is also not uncommon for the 2010+ mazda 3s. some (from the forums) were getting as low as 16mpg in the same car after 80k miles. the build quality was horrible and small things in the cabin had worn/broke/scratched/discolored/etc. the suspension was slowly losing its smoothness and the shocks were deteriorating. the clutch (it was manual) disk was slightly warped from when the clutch pedal did not return all the way one time. the transmission would often grind when shifting into 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gears. it also had that embarrassing low-pitched whine/groan that really old cars get when going in reverse.
there was no temperature guage in the car, but i had a feeling the engine was starting to run warmer, despite all the fluid levels being optimal and the oil changed every 4k miles.

these were my personal preferences for my car when i was car shopping: max price of $25k sticker

1. had to have a good amount of power (i wanted a bare minimum of 220hp, but preferrably 250hp or more. 323hp is awesome!)

2. i wanted a car that is good looking. i was sick of the girly looking, ugly 2011 mazda 3 i was driving.

3. i wanted a well-built car without a dozen problems within a year. also needed large brake rotors (mazda again)

4. i wanted a car that was RWD. i learned from owning the mazda, i did not want another FWD car. (not a deal-breaker though)

5. ABSOLUTELY had to be a manual transmission. automatics are too boring for me

6. my car HAS to have bluetooth, since i drive stick-shift and need a way to legally talk on the phone while driving.

7. the higher the gas mileage the better. my camaro uses more gas than i would like it to, but it is still not bad, considering how heavy and powerful it is.

8. didn't really matter what country the brand originates, but being a US brand, chevy earns a few extra points

9. i wanted a car that i could be proud to say "yeah, that's my car"

10. i have always been a fan of all the pony cars, including the mustang and the challenger. The fact that i was able to afford my favorite pony car really made this dream car of mine come true.

I LOVE MY CAMARO!!!

Last edited by brandonrr; 06-02-2012 at 07:20 AM.
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #28
ss409cid

Drives: 2011 SS RS Convertible
I wanta look good while getting a ticket......