Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
mmarx82's 2012 Black ZL1 Build Thread

Updated Mod's Lists: April 4, 2013

Wanted Mods:
Aftermarket Touchscreen Reciever w/ Scosche kit in Carbon Fiber
GM Frameless Mirror - Part # 13580912 Info
Remin® - Main Kit (Real Carbon Fiber, With Floor Console Gauge Cluster, W/O MyLink Touch Screen Radio + Optional Overhead Console Kit + Addition To Main Kit)
Remin® - Exterior Kit (Real Carbon Fiber)
ID850 Injectors
LPE 102 MM Throttle Body
LPE Aggressive Idel Cam
LPE Pulley Hub
LPE 2.55 SC Pulley
SC Pulley Info Sheet
10% Overdrive Harmonic Balancer (This and this)
Supercharger Spacer
Vertical Doors Vertical Lambo Doors
Recaro ZL1 Seats:
23478427 Recaro ZL1 Red Stitched Powered Driver Seat Kit
23478431 Recaro ZL1 Red Stitched Powered Passenger Seat Kit

Mods in the Works:
Engine Fan Override Switch paired to homelink buttons
Iconic Designz Afterburners
Iconic Designz Red Grill Lights
Iconic Designz Red Floor Lights / White when dome light is on
Iconic Designz White light bar for trunk
Moreno Motosports CF Engine Cover, ordered pending reciept
160 Degree Thermostat (received, pending install)
ZL1 Hood Decal - ZL in Chrome, 1 in Red, Outlined in Chrome (DONT FORGET TO TYPE IN CAMARO5DISCOUNT TO GET 10%OFF!!!)
Found an RF Controller received/tested it, it works with the Homelink buttons so that it can control all my red Lights. More Info

Completed Mods:
3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Bowties
Active Exhaust Fuse Pull
AAC Ghosted Sidemakers
D3PE Heat Exchanger
D3PE Reservoir
Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace
Iconic Designz Front Exterior Red Halos
Iconic Designz Red Demon Eyes
Iconic Designz Upgraded DRL and Fog Lights
Iconic Designz Upgraded Dome and Trunk Light
Iconic Designz Upgraded License Plate Lights
Stock Halo's, DRL's and Fogs "always on together" when any are turned on
K&N 63-3079 CAI
Morroso Catch Can
Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates
PAFDT Tri-Y Headers with NoWeeds Diverter
PAFDT Lowering Springs
PAFDT Rear Tie Rods
PAFDT Rear Trailing Arms
PAFDT Solid Subframe Mounts
PAFDT ZL-Spec Sway Bars
Roto-Fab Big Gulp
Roto-Fab W/W Relocation
Supercharger Replaced under factory warranty for the Solid Isolator
ZL1 Floor Mats

Last edited by mmarx82; 02-16-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Mod's Update
mmarx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
mmarx82

Background story:
Part 1:
I looked through my posting history and I guess I never posted about me wanting to get a 5th Gen Camaro, let alone a ZL1. My family has always been apart of the GM family as far back as I can remember and then some. My parents had an 88 or 80 Pontiac Firebird, my dad still has his 1989 Chevy silverado and they've had other vehicles and they were all GM so we have a good background in GM products. My first car was a 1975 Pontiac Lemans Sport Coupe with a 400 Large Block and a 350 Turbo Trans, I lost that car in an engine fire and never had in pictures of before the fire so I'm not making that mistake again...

In 2006 I saw the Silver Concept 5th Gen Camaro and that is when my fire for Camaro started. OMG , that was a sexy beast and I was so happy when they started production in 2009 i knew I was going to work to buy one however I wasn't making enough to get what I would want so basically the wait began. (I've always said get it how you would buy it or don't waste your time getting something you wouldn't be happy with). Speed up to 2011 and I have a new job making "much" better money and I'm getting serious about buying a Camaro 2SS/RS but I'm hearing that they may be announcing the Z28 soon and before I know it boom
Here shooed in is the ZL1 in victory red with black heat extractor and black rims. to GM and Chevy! Holy hell what a beautiful and amazing car! So want of a Camaro 2SS/RS was replaced by a ZL1. At this point the waiting game begins, come October we're (Camaro5) is getting good info coming in on the ZL1 including release date so now it's time for me to find a dealer. I pull up a list of Chevy dealers within a 1 1/2 hour drive and get all their contact info and begin my hunt for a dealer with allocation that isn't going to try and screw me because I will not pay above MSRP! End result is i find two dealers with allocation at MSRP and a deal is made and a deposit was placed.

Part 2: This Thread, I had to give up my allocation.

Part 3: This Post, My car (#1652) is still available but they didn't want to sell it to me at the original agreed MSRP price. BTW they never did sell the car, the shipped it off to a Sister Dealership in Daytona. I know because it came up in this tread later on.

Part 4: So all of that just to get to here, the day I went down to the original dealership I got my deposit back and got to drive the car but like I said they didn't want to sell it to me at MSRP. So when I got home that day I started looking around for one and found a good deal on one on ebay for MSRP and I placed a bid for it and I won! It was exactly like what I wanted except it had the exposed carbon fiber heat extractor and the Suede Package. I'm actually glad it had those things because I didn't want to have issues with the maintenance on the Black Heat Extractor and the Suede feels soo good! The only issues I had from that dealership was them wanting to hold onto the car until my Finance check cleared and I get that because the car was in New York while I was in GA. So at 11:30 PM on June the 29th, I recieved my 2012 Black ZL1 (#1609) by way of a car carrier. This car is my DD except for when it rains because I live a little ways down a dirt road. I give much to GM and Chevy for producing such an amazing car. Unless this car gets totaled I'll probably never get rid of it...

Go Team

Ok well here are some pics the day after I got the car, I hadn't done anything but put on the AAC side marker lights (because stock is ugly) and put in the ZL1 Floor mats.
Attached Images

Last edited by mmarx82; 01-10-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Old 11-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
mmarx82

Some pictures I took last week also a shot of the Oil filter magnet I picked up on ebay.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
mmarx82

This is my current project, basically some lighting upgrades this week, putting in demon eys and halos in the main headlight as well as halos around the DRL's and the Fog lights which are new type and contain more LED's than what you get from AAC and most of the other places currently. I think the top one has 120 led's and the bottom has 90 led's, I'll have to check on that. This is all done with the help of Iconic Designz. They aren't a sponsor on here yet but I imagine they may soon be.

Also showing the difference of before and after on the DRL's and Fog lights with the new plasma LED bulbs.
Attached Images

Last edited by mmarx82; 11-03-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
mmarx82

These show the test fitment of the halos as well as the angel eye I'm doing. as well as to show that for the halo ring around the DRLs have been flush mounted. More coming once it's all complete and back together. Please don't mind the crappy images in this set but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
mmarx82

Red Halo's

Bench test of the red lights and halos on the car today, also will update evonschu's DIY tomorrow or monday on how to wire the OEM halo, DRL's and Fogs to be on anytime the OEM halos or DRL's are on and do it all on the passenger side while maintaining the stock harness as the only harness/wiring disconnect point which is important when it comes down to needing to remove the front fascia in the future.
Attached Images

Last edited by mmarx82; 11-03-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
camaro2rs
Account Suspended

Drives: camaro
where did u get those bottom red halos?
camaro2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
mmarx82

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2rs View Post
where did u get those bottom red halos?
I got them from Iconic Designz because I personally know them, they don't have them listed on their site yet so if your looking for some your going to have to email them. Plus the website isn't quite done yet for ordering stuff either. Not to mention he was just trying this set from his supplier but we are very impressed and I think he will be selling them. I know he can get those new style LED's in white, red and amber. The DRL has 105 LED's cause we checked before they were mounted, the smaller one for the Fog light has between 85-90 not sure because they were already mounted.

My camaro is thier first one because they are just starting out but they have been doing work for quite awhile. You can check out some of their work on Facebook too.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
mmarx82

I have all the Red lights wired to the RF controller pictured earlier. I'll be getting a different RF controller later because I couldn't program it to the HomeLink, it's either an unsupported frequency or the controller it's self doesn't send a constant signal when the button is pressed, not sure. We also pre-ran wire to the back of the car so that I can control the afterburners on the same controller as the front lights. This will be a later project as well.

Next up will be a minor cosmetic change to both of the bowties on the car. 3D Carbon Fiber... pics to follow when complete.

Last edited by mmarx82; 11-05-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
mmarx82

Here is the applied 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl, got it put on earlier today...
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
Kartashian
SoCal HT5

Drives: The Punisher
Looks sick dude!! Congrats.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
mmarx82

Thanks Kart!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
RED DEMON SS