Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Is there any point in modding ?

Sorry, didn't have enough room to fit it all in.

But is there any point in modding an SS anymore? With the prices of ZL1 being in the high 30's low 40's and some higher mileage ones in the 35-38 range. What's the point in modding an SS that's roughly $10k cheaper?

Sure that $10k can net you more HP than a ZL1, but it's a fkin ZL1.

Much better drivetrain, comes supercharged, better suspension, exhaust note, etc.

I mean if I wanted to cam and supercharge my SS... looking at an easy $10k in parts alone, labor an extra $3k with dyno tune.

Even if it was a flat $10k, I still have to buy the better suspension and brakes to go along with it to make it work and put the power to the ground. Yeah I might outrun a ZL1, but it's still not a Z and still not nearly as daily driveable.

I mean don't you guys push darn near 600rwhp with just CAI, Headers and a tune?

What are your thoughts on this, Z guys?
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Even at the higher 60ish price range I still never understood modding an SS if you could afford a ZL1...

So with that being said... No, IMO there is no reason to mod an SS.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Yeah I mean check out this quote I got a cam install... I mean granted I'm an L99 which requires extra work..
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...83#post8881483

I just don't see the point in modding the SS anymore unless it's there for sentimental value or something.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
This is the reason I skipped the SS when I went from my V6 to the ZL1...
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post

But is there any point in modding an SS anymore? With the prices of ZL1 being in the high 30's low 40's and some higher mileage ones in the 35-38 range. What's the point in modding an SS that's roughly $10k cheaper?

Much better drivetrain, comes supercharged, better suspension, exhaust note, etc.

I mean if I wanted to cam and supercharge my SS... looking at an easy $10k in parts alone, labor an extra $3k with dyno tune.

Even if it was a flat $10k, I still have to buy the better suspension and brakes to go along with it to make it work and put the power to the ground. Yeah I might outrun a ZL1, but it's still not a Z and still not nearly as daily driveable.

Why mod an SS? Why not? Everyone looks to improve on what they have.

Its the hobby.

Its also greatly rewarding to beat a higher trim, higher performing vehicle, with the work you have put into your car.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
370zyzfr1

Drives: 2014 Camaro Zl1 Tripple Black!
I guess it all comes down to how happy you are with the SS. If power (and performance) is really imoortant then it would make more sense to trade up. But if you are happy with the SS, adding a few smile mods won't hurt. But once you start getting into major engine work then it becomes less worth it.

With 5-7k in mods you can add 125 hp with a zl1. If you can grab a used one while the price is right you can't go wrong.
370zyzfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
JMT

Drives: 2013 1LT
Some enjoy the mod thing! Keeps things fresh.
Others will enjoy the higher up model more.
No right or wrong answer here. IMO
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYBORG View Post
Why mod an SS? Why not? Everyone looks to improve on what they have.

Its the hobby.

Its also greatly rewarding to beat a higher trim, higher performing vehicle, with the work you have put into your car.
^^^
This -- personal taste and reasons. I got a great deal on my 11 2SS in 14 -- 21K -- so I had fully intended to mod the 2SS.

I made it my own -- which was what I wanted to do -- LOVE the ZL1 and sure, I could have bought one, but then, knowing me, I'd mod that too..

This was more fun for me to do on the 2SS -- it was my personal preference to do the mods... Outside of the tune, solid subframe bushings, and gears in the diff, I've done all the work myself and enjoyed it.

To each their own...

Do what you want and enjoy the journey -- its a learning process...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #9
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Of course another thing to consider is re-sale value. A highly modded SS with the same performance as a ZL1 will be worth much less than a ZL1.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #10
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post

The only real point is if it's not a ZL1, it will never be one! A clone is a clone, not everyone wants a clone.
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #11
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I know there are alot of faster cars then mine around. But the fact that i bought the car I've always wanted right down to the colour is important to me. My boltons are typical ....im new to the drag strip. I don't want to be the guy we all know that's says it's pushing 450 hp......ever had it dynoed? No but I'm sure it making that kind of power. Or the ever popular it should run low 12's at the strip. When people ask I can show them slips and my dyno sheet. My car is exactly the way I want it.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #12
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I know there are alot of faster cars then mine around. But the fact that i bought the car I've always wanted right down to the colour is important to me. My boltons are typical ....im new to the drag strip. I don't want to be the guy we all know that's says it's pushing 450 hp......ever had it dynoed? No but I'm sure it making that kind of power. Or the ever popular it should run low 12's at the strip. When people ask I can show them slips and my dyno sheet. My car is exactly the way I want it.
That's all that matters!
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #13
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Kudos to rontammy. I will say at least the SS guys are modding their cars and making them their own. Out of all the members on here I would say less than 100 have serious mods and make 600 or more whp. JMHO.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #14
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Why would anybody buy a high performance sports car with an auto trans?
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote