Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
How to say "Thank You".........

I know this is not perhaps the appropriate section for this - but I would ask that it remain here until after Veterans Day........

On Wednesday, November 11th, and again on Monday, November 16, we will show our respect and our thanks -- and memorialize those who have given so much so that we (that's you and me) can live in a free society.

Yes-- Veterans Day - formerly known as "Armistice Day" (...in the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month....) is celebrated each year -- and we must never forget!

Please -- make it a point to say "Thank You" to those who are serving --and also to those who HAVE served.

Most of you know that I travel a lot. I see so many of our men and women in uniform in airports.

I try to say 'Thank You' whenever I get the chance. However, sometimes it can be awkward - you don't want to interupt or disturb.

Sooooo...........how do you say 'Thank You' without feeling that you're imposing?

Our Camaro Comrade, Jan Mellor sends the following link -- and I hope you'll share this with your friends, family, and club members -- as well as sharing with the various Enthusiast sites that you frequent.

GO HERE TO WATCH AND LEARN A VERY SIMPLE WAY TO SAY "THANK YOU" >>>

Also of note:

Several businesses are honoring our Active Duty Men and Women as well as Veterans:

Applebee's. Applebee's is offering a free entree on Wednesday to veterans and all active-duty military from 11 a.m. to midnight at all 1,900 locations. Although Applebee's requests some kind of military ID, "We're not going to argue with folks who might forget to bring it," says Sam Rothschild, senior vice president of operations.
•McCormick & Schmick's. For the 11th year in a row, the 87 locations in 25 states are offering free entrees to veterans on Sunday. The chain also requests military ID and highly recommends reservations. The promotion is on Sunday instead of Veterans Day, "because it allows vets to bring their families who might not be available during the week," CEO Bill Freeman says.
•Golden Corral. The 485-unit chain is offering free buffet meals — including beverage and dessert — to current military and vets on Monday, Nov. 16, from 5 to 9 p.m. No military ID is required for its ninth annual Military Appreciation Monday, says Dolly Mercer, national events manager. The event is held on this date, she says, "so we don't interfere with Veterans Day activities."

Outback Steakhouse offers a free Bloomin' Onion appetizer and beverage to past and present military members on Wednesday,

Krispy Kreme has free doughnuts.

Home Depot and Lowe's are offering a 10% discount to military and veterans.

Kudos to each of these businesses-- so the next time you're thinking about going out for lunch or dinner? Please consider one of these restaurants -- and when you DO - -make SURE you tell them "Thank You for recognizing our Military!"

.......I hope we (that's you and me) will make a positive impact on their bottom line so that they do it EVERY Veteran's Day.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
Great post fbodfather.

My son has been in the Navy for only four months, but has already been thanked. He was touched, to say the least. It really means a lot to those serving (and that have served) to have this little bit of recognition.

Just after his graduation from bootcamp we were at Six Flags and he was in uniform. Someone walked up and thanked him...almost brought a tear to my eye.

My mother worked at the Veteran's Administration when I was a teenager. She had a bumper sticker on her car that read 'Like your Freedom? Thank a Vet'. I struck up a conversation in the elevator with a man once when I was going to see my Mom at work. Found out he was a Vietnam Vet, so I thanked him for his service. He actually broke down in tears...it was the FIRST time in his life that anybody had thanked him for his service. He told me he was typically met with disgust from the public. (Took me a long time to figure that out, since I was 16 at the time.)
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
:flag1:
Old 11-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
tjd24
Thank you Oshawa/St.Cats!

Drives: was 2010 2LT RS 2G1FC1EV4A9103434
Great thread/post fbodfather. We all owe our veterans and those who sacrificed themselves physically, mentally and/or the "Last Full Measure of Devotion..." to protect us and our allies, to keep us free.
#3434 Born 4-15-2009, Delivered 5-22-2009 BBOMG 2/3/4 - Traded-in 8/31/2019:
tjd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
Futurcamownr

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM Camaro
From someone that is serving and has served in a war zone, it never fails to get a hand shake or a thank you from a grateful person in an airport or any were for that matter. People have no idea how high it lifts our spirits when you do this so i say thank you as well, in reverse, kinda.
Futurcamownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
For those of you that are in the position to offer a "thank you" contribution to the active members of our military service - please consider donating a prepaid calling card by dropping it off at your local post office. They support the program that allows us to send these cards to military members. I think there is no better way for our military members to feel a thank you than someone reaching out to them and showing thier gratitude by making thier day just that little bit easier. It may mean the difference between a father, husband, mother or wife being able to speak to thier family to let them know they are safe and well.

Please if you have the means to offer a contribution consider this option. I have done it many times and although I dont know who benefits from it I just know that hopefully someone in the military is.

To all military members active and retired - thank you from the bottom of my heart for offering the selfless support to help protect our country and each and every person or family that makes the United States the best country in the world.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
I remember traveling while in the AF and people thanking me during a time of peace. Was reassuring and touching. Things changed in 90 when the Gulf War came and went so quickly. Many more people were vocal about our service.....why? Maybe because we whooped Hussein's rear and sent him packing?

Since then, the United States has sacrificed many whether one supports or defends it's cause, rationale, reason, many servicemen and families have been affected. There are a few guys from work that are in Iraq as we speak. When I see them on FB, I always ask them if they need anything and if they do, a package is ready within the week. I remember getting unexpected packages during stressful times...wonder feeling.

I myself thank them everytime I see them. A passing serious smile and a worded thanks has always been acknowledged.

Do not be embarassed or hesitant to thank them. You will feel great for doing so for a few hours, perhaps longer.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Thank you for the post fbodfather, it can never be said enough the debt of gratitude owed to those among us that have served, that are serving, and those that have made the ultimate sacrifice to ensure the liberties and freedoms this country was founded on have the opportunity to be experienced by generations to come. With that being said I would like to say thank you for your service to our country and to my family.

May God bless and protect you...

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Thank you to my fellow Veterans and to those still serving. Alot of people take everyday for granted in the Untied States but freedom is not free. America is not a big gated subdivision. No matter what roll you play or have played in the Armed Services Thank You. Sua Sponte

RLTW
03-93
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
rico-2SS
Thx TZD.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged Custom Camaro
Very nice - and yes thanks to all who served and serve.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Last year when we were traveling through the Houston airport, there was a young solider eating at a Applebee's in the airport. I asked his waiter to give me the check and not tell him who paid it. When the waiter told him his bill had been paid, he was very surprised and looked around to see if he could figure it out. We saw him later at his gate and he was telling his buddies all about it. It was a small jesture but meant a lot to us. My car club sends packages to the war zones too.
Also I'd like to take a moment and let everyone know that has been praying for us, my son made it home from his second tour in Iraq, all safe and sound. Thank you all so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When they began to build the WW2 monument in Washington, people talked about how it was long overdue. I thought, "Nope, this country is the greatest monument you could ever ask for!"
Old 11-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #12
MikeL

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
I thank every vet I meet. Whether they served in a war, or served in natural disasters at home/abroad they all see the good, the bad, and the ugly. They have my respect because they do what most wont even think of ever doing. One thing ive learned from almost all the vets ive met, they never did it for the glory it was for the man next to them. Thank you to all who have served.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
1sickss

Drives: BADDEST SS IN ATL!!!!
my greatest thanks goes out to you and your family's, thanks for everything.
1sickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Don't forget about GM's Military Discount. Available year round as a constant thank you.