Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #1023
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
So I am relatively new here and I hope I don't make any enemies with this but I got to say something here.

I love my ZL1. I have owned 16 Camaro's (at least two of every generation) and I for one could not care less about what Ford does with the Mustang. I want Chevy to make the best Camaro (within the limits of the EPA, etc.) regardless of what Ford does with the Mustang.

In my mind, the ZL1 is the best Camaro ever made and I am proud to drive it. When I go to car shows, not once has anyone come to me and said, "if it just had more power". They love the lines. They love the interior. They love the total package. That's is what the ZL1 is, the total package.

What Camaro may lose to Mustang in raw HP, it more than makes up for in total drivability AND overall (not just straight line) performance. If the next Camaro improves upon the current Camaro, GREAT...I am all for it. But I do not measure what I have against what someone else has. Never have, never will.

For those who own a ZL1, you could have bought a GT500. If what you want is what Mustang delivers, then you should have bought a Mustang. As for me, I am thrilled to see my ZL in the garage and am more than happy to pull up next to a GT500 owner (who I am sure is just as proud of their car) and tip my hat and wish them a good day without wishing I could keep up with them until the next traffic signal.

Merry Christmas. If you are able to own a ZL1, SS, LE1....you are blessed and need to remember that. Don't lose the joy of what you have waiting for something that might never come.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #1024
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
If there is an LS7 option that comes out in 2014, I would suspect, it would also be available for the ZL1...... think of that, a SC LS7 in the ZL1 straight from the factory.
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #1025
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
If there is an LS7 option that comes out in 2014, I would suspect, it would also be available for the ZL1...... think of that, a SC LS7 in the ZL1 straight from the factory.
Won't happen. LS7 as it is is not a serious boost candidate.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #1026
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSJIM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Exactly,GM tried supercharging an LS7 Vette back when they were developing the new ZR1.....lets just say the car ended up a "crispy critter" :(

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #1027
alyssasdad
Go VOLS!!!!!

Drives: ZL1 #1344 VR, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
So I am relatively new here and I hope I don't make any enemies with this but I got to say something here.

I love my ZL1. I have owned 16 Camaro's (at least two of every generation) and I for one could not care less about what Ford does with the Mustang. I want Chevy to make the best Camaro (within the limits of the EPA, etc.) regardless of what Ford does with the Mustang.

In my mind, the ZL1 is the best Camaro ever made and I am proud to drive it. When I go to car shows, not once has anyone come to me and said, "if it just had more power". They love the lines. They love the interior. They love the total package. That's is what the ZL1 is, the total package.

What Camaro may lose to Mustang in raw HP, it more than makes up for in total drivability AND overall (not just straight line) performance. If the next Camaro improves upon the current Camaro, GREAT...I am all for it. But I do not measure what I have against what someone else has. Never have, never will.

For those who own a ZL1, you could have bought a GT500. If what you want is what Mustang delivers, then you should have bought a Mustang. As for me, I am thrilled to see my ZL in the garage and am more than happy to pull up next to a GT500 owner (who I am sure is just as proud of their car) and tip my hat and wish them a good day without wishing I could keep up with them until the next traffic signal.

Merry Christmas. If you are able to own a ZL1, SS, LE1....you are blessed and need to remember that. Don't lose the joy of what you have waiting for something that might never come.
alyssasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #1028
mechanic1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I see Callaway has the sc606 and 652 packages for the vettes............thats the supercharged 7litre and then the 427 as well........Wilson Niblett has them in stock......wonder how those motors last?
mechanic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #1029
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic1 View Post
I see Callaway has the sc606 and 652 packages for the vettes............thats the supercharged 7litre and then the 427 as well........Wilson Niblett has them in stock......wonder how those motors last?
low boost. The problem with us gearheads is we add smaller pulleys on the blower and want more more more....then the motor pops..and we spent all our money on wanting more more more.

The SC652 is solid....but you have to leave it right there. It's got as much power (through forced induction) as the motor can safely handle while being reliable(100K miles)
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #1030
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS3DALE View Post
Exactly,GM tried supercharging an LS7 Vette back when they were developing the new ZR1.....lets just say the car ended up a "crispy critter" :(
That's cause the LS7 is like a wild bull. If it doesn't want something on its back, it's coming off.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #1031
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
To be honest, two years ago I would've been excited over the prospect of an ls7 camaro. Fast forward to today, and I'm less optimistic about another two-ton, 500 hp camaro model when we still do not have a good answer to ford's forward thrust in the mustang.

I'd much rather see chevy tighten up the competition a bit with its current camaro models.
to quote OldSchoolCamaro from another thread

"...well, in my humble opinion all I can say is that the LS1 was a game changer for the Camaro and it rocked solid and beat the Pony solidly until the demise of the F body did it not? I know it did because I owned one and it was a stout performer and walked a Mustang. The Mustang evolved continuosly while we went on hiatus. The funny thing is that they tried and failed with IRS. Funny thing for us is we sat, watched, and waited <hoped and prayed actually> that the Camaro would come back. Fast forward. We are a generation ahead on major structural platform and suspension engineering and they lead in motor output. And the really, really hard part to the equation is a body and chasis that transfers energy to the pavement efficiently without instability...and that is where GM rules. So, in large, at this point, we are well ahead of the competition, except for that all important HP equals coin factor. "

We are ahead of the Mustang...structurally and putting power to the ground. Ford has stretched the Modular motors to it's absolute peak displacement with the 5.8L. I honestly don't hear anything coming from their development team regarding DI V-8s. They keep trying to sell everyone on eco-boost.Hey everybody...hop on the eco-boost wagon...it'll be fun, we promise.

Their turbos in the trucks are sh*tting themselves just out of powertrain warranty!
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #1032
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Yep, it's those siamesed cylinders. The narrow area in the head gaskets between cylinders is it's achille's heel. Too much pressure and the head gasket fails there.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #1033
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
to quote OldSchoolCamaro from another thread

"...well, in my humble opinion all I can say is that the LS1 was a game changer for the Camaro and it rocked solid and beat the Pony solidly until the demise of the F body did it not? I know it did because I owned one and it was a stout performer and walked a Mustang. The Mustang evolved continuosly while we went on hiatus. The funny thing is that they tried and failed with IRS. Funny thing for us is we sat, watched, and waited <hoped and prayed actually> that the Camaro would come back. Fast forward. We are a generation ahead on major structural platform and suspension engineering and they lead in motor output. And the really, really hard part to the equation is a body and chasis that transfers energy to the pavement efficiently without instability...and that is where GM rules. So, in large, at this point, we are well ahead of the competition, except for that all important HP equals coin factor. "

We are ahead of the Mustang...structurally and putting power to the ground. Ford has stretched the Modular motors to it's absolute peak displacement with the 5.8L. I honestly don't hear anything coming from their development team regarding DI V-8s. They keep trying to sell everyone on eco-boost.Hey everybody...hop on the eco-boost wagon...it'll be fun, we promise.

Their turbos in the trucks are sh*tting themselves just out of powertrain warranty!
The bang for the buck factor is what made the 4th gens legendary....despite their many gremlins. That is why IMO its discouraging to hear that the 5th gens are behind the mustangs in acceleration; Don't count out the mustang in the handling as well....they're not shabby.

I agree that, technology wise, the camaro (and the ls motors) are ahead of its competition, but the combination of weight and deficit of power (zl1) masks that advantage in when compared with ford.

I just don't see how an ls7 (by itself in its existing tune) will put the current camaro ahead, or in striking range, of the GT500; Now....being the nostalgia bug that I am....a 427 big block.....I'd forgive the weight issue with the camaro if that miracle happens!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #1034
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
The bang for the buck factor is what made the 4th gens legendary....despite their many gremlins. That is why IMO its discouraging to hear that the 5th gens are behind the mustangs in acceleration; Don't count out the mustang in the handling as well....they're not shabby.

I agree that, technology wise, the camaro (and the ls motors) are ahead of its competition, but the combination of weight and deficit of power (zl1) masks that advantage in when compared with ford.

I just don't see how an ls7 (by itself in its existing tune) will put the current camaro ahead, or in striking range, of the GT500; Now....being the nostalgia bug that I am....a 427 big block.....I'd forgive the weight issue with the camaro if that miracle happens!
a 427 camaro wouldn't be competition for the gt500. it would more be competetive against the top n\a mustang.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #1035
mechanic1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The LS7 would IMO bump the camaro ss up to beat the boss and the gt mustangs.............both of which beat the 426hp ss...........when looking at a 1/4 mile performance nothing is going to touch the gt500 in this gen camaro..........i think its too late in the current generation for a zl1 hp boost to 650 and carbon fibre or other some such weight reduction package?.........that might do it but the cost would blow the deal
mechanic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #1036
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^^I really don't know what to make of an ls7 camaro at this point. I want to be happy, but the street is hot with competition at this moment.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro hp edition, 2012 camaro hp model, 2012 camaro z-28, 2012 camaro z28, 2012 z-28, 2012 z28, 2013 camaro hp edition, 2013 camaro hp model, 2013 camaro z-28, 2013 camaro z28, camaro hp edition, camaro hp edition model, camaro hp model, camaro z28 hp, camaro z28 hp edition, chevy camaro hp edition, new camaro z-28, new camaro z28, new z-28, new z28