Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-04-2019, 05:43 AM   #1
destroyerg

Drives: Chevrolet ss
Starting-up issues

Good morning everyone,

First I would like to introduce myself. I am Julian and I am 25 years old guy from Spain that bought a Camaro SS Convertible and I definitely love it.

The problem I am facing is related to the Start-up, and I think is related to the starter.

From what I read there are two main issues, ground cable and heat soak, but before pulling the trigger with mine I would like to have some advice from you, as we do not have GM/Chevrolet Dealers here.

My car starts-up great in cold, and warm too except sometimes. This is totally random, but it is happening more and more often now. When I try to start it warm, sometimes it sounds a loud "CLACK" and doesn't start-up. You can try it all the times you want, but you won't get more than that clack. But you leave the car(for a random time too, maybe is 2 hours, maybe 15 minutes) and it starts perfectly.

I checked my battery and it is ok, and it is not old.

So what can it be? Thank you very much
destroyerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
That clack/click is probably the solenoid and the starter is not engaging probably from heat soak
Old 04-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
destroyerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nb1081 View Post
That clack/click is probably the solenoid and the starter is not engaging probably from heat soak
That is what I think, but isn't it weird? I mean, from everything I read, with heat soak what happens is that people have a slow start-up. Mine doesn't start-up at all until suddenly it works.

I am thinking that maybe the best solution is to do both mods, heat shield and ground cable...
Old 04-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
You haven't told us anything about the age and history of your car.

If you are confident about the battery, check the ground and then maybe the starter. Do you have headers? They tend to cause starter overheating.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:19 AM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Check the ground from the battery to the body; I've read reports of that. Sand off any rust and give it a coating of light grease to prevent further rust. It will only cost you time.

Heat soak shouldn't be an issue without headers.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
destroyerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
You haven't told us anything about the age and history of your car.

If you are confident about the battery, check the ground and then maybe the starter. Do you have headers? They tend to cause starter overheating.
To be honest, I do not know, how can I know if I have headers? I bought it second hand I don't have this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Check the ground from the battery to the body; I've read reports of that. Sand off any rust and give it a coating of light grease to prevent further rust. It will only cost you time.

Heat soak shouldn't be an issue without headers.
Do you know what I need to check exactly?

I am sorry but I am a noob in mechanics, I try to do my best though
Old 04-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #7
CamaroFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyerg View Post
To be honest, I do not know, how can I know if I have headers? I bought it second hand I don't have this information.

Do you know what I need to check exactly?

I am sorry but I am a noob in mechanics, I try to do my best though
The black wire from the battery bolts to the body.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
destroyerg

Well, I changed the starter and apparently it solved the problem. A couple of months later the issue has come back. The battery was changed as well so the only issue I can think of is heating soak. Any idea to repair it?
Old 08-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
Bildo

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Add an additional chassis ground from the drivers side head to the negative jump post under the hood. Problem solved or atleast significantly reduced.
2012 2SS M6, ERL Superdeck 6 427, PRC 255 Heads, Procharger F1A w/ 3.85 pulley, 1300hp intercooler, Squash Dual 450lph, E85, ID1700, RXT Clutch, DSS 1pc driveshaft, GForce axles, Eaton Detroit Trutrac, a bunch of other crap I don't feel like typing.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:41 AM   #10
destroyerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo View Post
Add an additional chassis ground from the drivers side head to the negative jump post under the hood. Problem solved or atleast significantly reduced.
That was done already, so not the issue. And this happens when the car is hot and I leave it for 10-15 minutes and try to start it up again.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
destroyerg

Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
CamaroFred

Powermaster 9509

If Christian Chevell recommends this I would give it a shot.

Powermaster 9509 starter 2011 LS3
Old 08-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #13
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
Wrap the new starter with a heat shield blanket. The issue with heat soaked starters isn’t the starter itself but more so the solenoid that sits above it in a slight pocket with little to no air flow in the area. Typically when you shut the hot car off the heat bakes it then because the heat will rise up into the pocket . I had same issue on mine so when I replaced the starter I added a ground wire from one of the starter bracket bolts to the body/ frame (I used a 16” battery ground wire) and wrapped the starter itself in a starter heat shield blanket. It’s been over a year and no issues since doing this. An OEM starter will be fine but if you can swing the extra cost definitely upgrade it like Fred says above.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:09 AM   #14
Heyjezzy
Evil Bee Texas

Drives: 2010 YELLOW SS
Crank Sensor behind the starter.....its $26
Heyjezzy is offline   Reply With Quote