Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 07-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #15
H3LL1ON
H3LL1ON

Drives: 2010 1LT Camaro Synergy Green
GM

The owner of a new GM car imported from the U.S. must wait until the car is 6 months old before registering the warranty.

Hmm so there is some good news?

While we are at it: How about the high interest rates for financing let alone leasing. The Camaro is being racially profiled and assigned automatically higher rates then various other cars of equal value. Its of the attitude: we know you want it bad and so you will pay real good for it too :[
Old 07-09-2011, 02:12 AM   #16
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Does Canada have a value added tax?
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
NicksVSix

Drives: 2014 2LT Red Rock Metallic
To the OP: where'd you buy yours? Myers in Kanata?

Yeah, we're getting ripped off here in Canada, but I attribute it to the fact that for years our dollar was worth ~65 cents US throughout the late 70, 80's and 90's, and prices reflected that. Canadians became so used to paying way more for goods that we've proven we will....why would companies suddenly charge us less for stuff when we've proven over the last 3 decades that we'll pay more? It'll only change when we stop buying from Canadian suppliers and start shopping in the US. We need to speak with our wallets.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
rs-lt-camaro-

Drives: ram
the thing is that its not just GM other auto manufacturers do the same but it still doesn't make it right, and I do buy alot of thing in the US and save alot of money, sometimes you can get thing for almost half price.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #19
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
I totaly agree with the op. It's not only cars that are grossly overpriced considering our dollars' strength. Look at books, groceries, clothes ect. all over priced. The Canadian retial market prices are very out of date and they better make moves to change this or the Canadian consumer will spend thier money in the US or other countries. Where the hell do they get off charging prices like this? It pisses me off to no end. But I guess when you have many people who are willing to except it and pay the price, the general attitude is let the few bitch about it and we will fleece the rest of them.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #20
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
It's a complete ripoff.
The main reason why I don't own a Camaro right now.
I can afford but refuse to buy.
I'll stick with my 911 that I imported from the US for another year.
Then I'll sell it locally and import another year or two old 911 from the US.
GM Canada can suck it.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #21
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
I went thru the same thing when I purchased my '10 2SS.
Sent an email to GM Canada, and got the same canned response you got.
But I look at it this way. The US has 10 times the population than we do, therefore more sales opportunites. If you had two customers, and one was willing to buy 10 times the product, wouldn't you give them a better price?
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #22
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I wish I could buy cars off of Amazon.com.

So how do the rules work? I can only have a working warranty on a US car if it is used and at least 6 months old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #23
dunedon

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Convertible
The warrenty rules say that you must wait until the car is 6 months old until you can register it in Canada if you bought it in the US. There is nothing that says it had to be purchased used (at least that I can find).

Note, you can't finance it ... the car has to be purchased and have a clear title in your name only. You don't pay duty on it, but you will have to pay GST + provincial taxes (or provincial portion of the HST) if it applies.

There are a few other fees and taxes (add up to about $500 or so) ... but to save over $5k in getting a car, it's definately worth it.
dunedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #24
n116ebo
n116

Drives: 2010 2SS YELLOW TRANSFORMER AUTO
You poor people in Canada, you freeze your polar bear asses nearly year around and get screwed when you buy cars. Answer!!!! move to Texas. You are very welcome here.
n116ebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by n116ebo View Post
You poor people in Canada, you freeze your polar bear asses nearly year around and get screwed when you buy cars. Answer!!!! move to Texas. You are very welcome here.
If only it was that easy! Try to get a green card these days:(
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #26
techy96z

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS IOM Interior
I asked the same question this time last year when I purchased my 2011 IOM 2SS/RS and it was explained to me that because the market is so much larger in the US than it is in Canada, GM Canada increases the prices to compensate for the smaller market to ensure better profits in the fiscal quarters. In other words, we get screwed!

At no point do I agree with it but thats the way it was explained to me.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #27
dunedon

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Convertible
So I contacted GM Customer Support ... their answer to why the US had received pricing, but here in CA we hadn't:

Quote:
At this time we have not introduced the 2012 model year of the Camaro to Canada, although it should become available over the coming few months.
NOTE: Build starts in 6 days ... sigh.

You know, I'm not really sure why ANYONE purchases a GM car in Canada ... it's cheaper to buy in the US and ship it in, and you at least get timely information to make your decisions.
dunedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #28
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunedon View Post
The warrenty rules say that you must wait until the car is 6 months old until you can register it in Canada if you bought it in the US. There is nothing that says it had to be purchased used (at least that I can find).

Note, you can't finance it ... the car has to be purchased and have a clear title in your name only. You don't pay duty on it, but you will have to pay GST + provincial taxes (or provincial portion of the HST) if it applies.

There are a few other fees and taxes (add up to about $500 or so) ... but to save over $5k in getting a car, it's definately worth it.

So.... I could go down, buy a ZL-1 in cash, ask them to keep it in the showroom or storage or something for me, come back 6 months later and save $20,000?

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

GM Canada's excuse about a smaller market is true, because with bullshit pricing like they have, more and more people are going to go to the states and make the market even smaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote