Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
ER-RN

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Angry Brand new 2013 Camaro needs a tranny rebuild!

So, from what I can gather this seems to be a pretty unheard of situation. Everyone from the courtesy shuttle driver at the dealership who took me to get my rental car to the rep over at the GM Customer Assistance hotline all say they've never heard of this happening before. I bought my 2013 2LT RS about two weeks ago and have only 350 miles on it. While driving to work yesterday the transmission (automatic) began slipping between 3rd and 4th gears. The dealership today tells me that there's a problem with the transmission and they need to take it apart and start going through the whole thing to see what's wrong, and will likely have to rebuild it. I told them since the car is literally 2 weeks old and only has 350 miles on it I'm not comfortable with simply rebuilding this one and so far I'm being told no way on getting a new tranny if it's repairable, even if the car is brand new. Starting to smell like a lemon to me and really bumming me out. Now I'm stuck driving a 2012 Chevy Cruze rental for at least a week while they figure out what they're going to do with my Camaro. :(

Has anyone on the forums ever heard of something like this happening? I was taking it easy during the break-in period and simply gave a little gas to pass on the freeway when the tranny made a "clunk" and the problem started happening.
ER-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Sorry to hear this. Understand, these are machines built mostly by machines, weird shit happens on occasion. Sounds like the dealer is doing what is proper. If the problem persists after the rebuild, you may have a claim. Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
TRGunner

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
That would be VERY frustrating indeed!
TRGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Its unusual for sure, but anything can and will happen, just luck of the draw. Automatics are complex machines and might end up being something simple. I had the same thing happen to my 85 Transam that had less than 1000 miles on it, turned out to be a small plastic governor gear in the 700R4 transmission had broken. Simple fix and I was back on the road.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
sometimes lettging them rebuild it is better, they will take extra time to be sure it is all correct. I would not worry. Yes it sucks, but worse things have happened. As far as a lemon, no where near that, just a breakdown, its mechanical, expect something sometime.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
This may not make you feel better but rather give you a bit of hope.

A buddy of mine bought a brand new Jeep. 30 miles from the dealership with 50 or so miles on the motor, it lost a valve spring. His dealer would not replace the motor and went through with a full rebuild.

10 years later and over 200k miles, that motor is still kicking and he drives the Jeep everyday.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
lfree11012

Drives: 2018 1LE
I think mine just went up last night. I have a brand new 2013 ss 6 speed with 3100 miles on. I normally just drive it on the weekends when I am home. Had to have it towed to the dealer. So I understand we're you comeing from. I can understand small buges here and there but a Major Mechanical failure is Unacceptable Especially when you pay good hard erned money for something I wish you the best of luck and hope every thing works out for you
lfree11012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
I agree that can get pretty frustrating. Let them rebuild it and hopefully it'll be well taken care of. If not, they gotta make it right.
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Wow, ER-RN! I am truly sorry to hear this. :( If you could please send us a private message with your name, address, phone number, VIN, and name of involved dealership, I would be happy to speak with your dealership and assist in a resolution for you. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER-RN View Post
So, from what I can gather this seems to be a pretty unheard of situation. Everyone from the courtesy shuttle driver at the dealership who took me to get my rental car to the rep over at the GM Customer Assistance hotline all say they've never heard of this happening before. I bought my 2013 2LT RS about two weeks ago and have only 350 miles on it. While driving to work yesterday the transmission (automatic) began slipping between 3rd and 4th gears. The dealership today tells me that there's a problem with the transmission and they need to take it apart and start going through the whole thing to see what's wrong, and will likely have to rebuild it. I told them since the car is literally 2 weeks old and only has 350 miles on it I'm not comfortable with simply rebuilding this one and so far I'm being told no way on getting a new tranny if it's repairable, even if the car is brand new. Starting to smell like a lemon to me and really bumming me out. Now I'm stuck driving a 2012 Chevy Cruze rental for at least a week while they figure out what they're going to do with my Camaro. :(

Has anyone on the forums ever heard of something like this happening? I was taking it easy during the break-in period and simply gave a little gas to pass on the freeway when the tranny made a "clunk" and the problem started happening.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
To be honest with you , I had this happen years ago on a nearly new car.

The trans got rebuilt.

If they put a new trans in for you, it would still be a crapshoot imho. The new one could fail.
At least if they rebuild the one that came with the car, that issue should be behind you.

I probably have the same trans in my '13 2LS. At 10000 miles, we'll see what happens. Nothing surprises me these days with mechanical items.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:

Oh no!

I'm definitely sorry to hear about the transmission issues with your 2013 Camaro. I understand the frustration here and might be able to assist if you do not have a case open with us. Feel free to PM me and include: full name, address, phone number, VIN, and involved dealership.

Regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 09-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
ER-RN

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Thanks for the replies guys. I spoke with someone from Chevy Customer Assistance today and they're working to help me get the matter resolved. The car is still in the shop and there's no real timeframe yet so it looks like I'll be in the rental car for at least the next week. I was told by a service manager today that there's no such thing as a new transmission for this car, that even if they replace it they will only be able to put in a factory rebuilt anyway.

It's pretty disappointing, especially since my wife and I had been planning on going out on a date tonight in the Camaro and now she's a little less than thrilled about going out in the rental Cruze! Will keep you posted about how this ultimately gets resolved.
ER-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
pogiskier

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss black,hurst shifter
Hi, My transmission was grinding way bad from first to second I had only about 3,000 miles on it. a 2011 SS. my local dealer put a new trans mission in it for me but they forgot to plug one of the wires back in so when i got home, I could not put it into reverse. they fixed that too. nice guys. I hope your shop does a great job. good luck.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I spoke with someone from Chevy Customer Assistance today and they're working to help me get the matter resolved. The car is still in the shop and there's no real timeframe yet so it looks like I'll be in the rental car for at least the next week. I was told by a service manager today that there's no such thing as a new transmission for this car, that even if they replace it they will only be able to put in a factory rebuilt anyway.

It's pretty disappointing, especially since my wife and I had been planning on going out on a date tonight in the Camaro and now she's a little less than thrilled about going out in the rental Cruze! Will keep you posted about how this ultimately gets resolved.
I've also sent you a response PM.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Tags
2013, transmission problem