Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
How loud is too loud?

I bought my 2010 last August and shortly after that I installed a Flowmaster cat back system and Solo cats. Back then I left for work around 7:00 AM. The car was stored over the winter and during that time I took a new position at work that requires me to leave at 4:30. 2 weeks ago I got 4th hand information that a neighbour around the corner is pissed that my car wakes him up in the morning even though I was very gentle on the throttle. Since then I have changed my shifting pattern, I now shift at 1200 RPM and cruise out of the neighbourhood at about 25 KPH. Even with the window down the car sounds quiet, at least to me.

Has anyone had a similar situation? Is there a law regarding how quiet a car has to be?

TIA.

PS, will installing my Borla shortys make this situation worse?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Kitty

Drives: Black on Black M6 RS
wow you are handling the situation so much better then i would be. if that was me i'd be tacked out in first gear the whole way if i heard that a neighbor was bitching after i had taken measure to make sure i was being quiet when leaving

i'm sure there are decible laws out there, but maybe do some research of the bylaws in your area and see what you come up with. good luck with the bitchy neighbor

wants to push you down a flight of stairs to see if you are like a slinky or if you bounce like a ball... either way, I am quite sure I will be amused
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
yes there are laws regarding noise levels. you would have to go look them up online somewhere or go to the local police station and ask. but with just your setup you would be well below them. it is more for straigh-piped harleys and stuff they want to keep the noise down.

as for driving it slow like that i'm with Kitty I would be on the throttle a bit, just a little wake up call now and again lol

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
DINGO

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Your car isn't that loud.....
SPI just put on my LT's and cats. Now pair that with my Borla Attak exhaust.....now thats just perfect...not to loud....
I guess your neighbour is a lite sleeper..
DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINGO View Post
SPI just put on my LT's and cats. Now pair that with my Borla Attak exhaust.....now thats just perfect...not to loud....
I have the Flowmaster full 3'', no cats, 1 7/8 longtube headers along with a cam that makes my car pretty loud. My neighbors have said things like, "you left early this morning didn't you". I didn't take that as a complaint as much as I did a compliment.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
bwpaint

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
your setup is not going to be anywhere near illegal .... my Borla Ataks with the Fastlane turbo setup are fricking LOUD! and I love it. If any of my neighbors bitch, they best be ready for some tire burning smoke to go along with the sound! maybe that is why they don't bitch, they know I will only make it louder..... Ha!

Stand up Against the noise police dude, you are driving American Muscle, helping the economy, burning a ton of the Finest Texas Refined Petroleum and contributing to the hardening of the American spirit like it used to be when our Grandparents ran this country! Stand Tall and Burn some Rubber next time you go to Work!
Fastlane Turbo, PFADTCoilovers, PFADT Trailing Arms, PFADT Differential Bushings, Borla ATAKs, Cam, Duece Fuel Pump, Aux Transmission Cooler, Circle D 3200 Torque Converter, Circle D Transmission Upgrade, Under Pulley, Dyno'd at 615 RWTQ @ 12psi
11' Rear Tires, Nittos NT05Rs
Double-Din with Pioneer CD/Stereo/GPS

64.5 Ford Mustang
Ford F-350
2006 Honda GoldWing
1992 Harley-Davidson Softtail Custom
www.webwize.com
www.webwizebackup.com
bwpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Screw that guy, your setup doesn't sound ridiculous...

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
I bought my 2010 last August and shortly after that I installed a Flowmaster cat back system and Solo cats. Back then I left for work around 7:00 AM. The car was stored over the winter and during that time I took a new position at work that requires me to leave at 4:30. 2 weeks ago I got 4th hand information that a neighbour around the corner is pissed that my car wakes him up in the morning even though I was very gentle on the throttle. Since then I have changed my shifting pattern, I now shift at 1200 RPM and cruise out of the neighbourhood at about 25 KPH. Even with the window down the car sounds quiet, at least to me.

Has anyone had a similar situation? Is there a law regarding how quiet a car has to be?

TIA.

PS, will installing my Borla shortys make this situation worse?
Steve,

E-mail Niagara Regional Police, I'm sure you'll get a response back on the law; don't go into detail about your neighbour, just ask in general terms.

I e-mailed York Regional, when I wanted info on window tint laws, and the staff sargeant got back to me and included the wording from the HTA (Highway Traffice Act.).
Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINGO View Post
I can hardly wait to get a chance to hear your set up. I understand you're going to the CCFBG show June 4th.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Asylum
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Black on Black Manual 6
Two laws have to be considered;
1.) What the HTA deems excessive
2.) What your City BY-Law is for excessive.

Shoot me a PM I can provide you with BOTH.
Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Tell the neighbor to buy ear plugs, louder the better.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
I never had anyone complain "yet" but I took it upon myself to change mufflers. The first set I installed with my Stainless Works system were mufflers in name and visual effect only. I loved the sound but it was loud especially when it was cold. I do have some "A" holes in the neighborhood that would love nothing better then to phone the city of Brampton and file a noise complaint.

I guess I'm lucky I have a good incline in my driveway. When NITRO gets home from SPI I might have to coast down the driveway and out of the neighborhood before starting it up LOL.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Keep going soft and they'll get used to it. My neighbours don't hear me anymore.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
You are doing the right thing by taking it easy.
No need to inflate the aggravation in the neighbourhood by driving like an asshole.
I know if there was someone ripping out of my neighbourhood at 4:30 a.m. every day the least of his worries would be me calling the cops on him whether he had a technically legal exhaust or not. People on here advising different are giving you bad advice.

Even with a technically legal exhaust there are still by laws about excess noise of any type outside of 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
At least where I live.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote