Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #1
infernostripes!

Drives: 2010 1ssrs
Do spider cracks get worse over time?

I accidentally drove to far up and hit one of those rectangular parking blocks. This caused my paint to crack on my front bumper. The weird thing is that you can't see it unless your face is about a couple of inches from the webbing. In addition, the cracks aren't white, they are black. I guess thats why its harder to see them?My fingernail does catch in the cracks and you can feel them. From past experience, should I expect them to get worse over time? I couldn't take a picture because its so hard to see.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
I would think the paint may peel eventually after moisture from washing or rain gets in there.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernostripes! View Post
I accidentally drove to far up and hit one of those rectangular parking blocks. This caused my paint to crack on my front bumper. The weird thing is that you can't see it unless your face is about a couple of inches from the webbing. In addition, the cracks aren't white, they are black. I guess thats why its harder to see them?My fingernail does catch in the cracks and you can feel them. From past experience, should I expect them to get worse over time? I couldn't take a picture because its so hard to see.

Thanks!
Yes it will. But with a good paint shop they can repair / repaint and it will look like new again.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
It depends...

As long as each individual piece of paint is properly attached to the primer, and the primer to the substrate, then no, it's not really going to get worse - at least not dramatically...

However, being that it is on a flexible bumper cover which will bend if somebody bumps it, you bump something, you push too hard when waxing, washing, etc.. Heck even driving very fast will contort the bumper cover enough to the ponit the cracks may spread gradually over time.

If you can live with it now, then live with it. If it starts to get worse, to the point that you cannot live with it, then replace/repaint.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
infernostripes!

I know I can't get rid of the cracks but I have some ideas on stoping the paint from peeling eventually.

Here is what I was thinking:

1) Opticoat the area and pray that it somewhat seals the cracks

2) Opticoat the area and spray the armor all custom shield onto the cracked area

2) Use nail polish clear on the cracks

3) Opticoat then get a piece of clear vinyl and put it over the "web" of cracks

What do you think Todd?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Opticoat will do you a lot of good. There was a study somebody did on using it over clear coat failure and it did amazing.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
You think even like the 3M Paint Protectant stuff will work as well... Either the spray or film? Just a thought.
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarfey View Post
You think even like the 3M Paint Protectant stuff will work as well... Either the spray or film? Just a thought.
It could work, but that has gotten just terrible reviews from everyone I know that's tried it. It dries very opaque and is quite noticeable

Old 06-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
I used it on my Volt's painted black grille and I thought it was great.... But I can see some of the opacity in it, but I guess it didn't bother me as much as it did other people. It stops the rock from chipping, so it's a winner in my book, but I'm sure there is a better product out there.
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
infernostripes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Opticoat will do you a lot of good. There was a study somebody did on using it over clear coat failure and it did amazing.

I read about one guy who used opticoat to seal the cracks, and it ended up sealing pretty well. I was going to do a complete paint correction in 2 weeks, but since I saw the cracks I'm not sure if I should just do a spot correction for now to start the seal. The crack area is like a foot by half a foot. What do you all think?

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Do a full correction before Opticoat.