Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #1
Dahita

Drives: Camaro 2011 2SS
Angry Steering wheel/car vibrations

Hi everyone,

My 2011 2SS has a vibration issue and I can't figure out how to fix it. The car vibrates when driving, especially between 50 and 65, and I feel it first hand on the steering wheel. However, the vibrations soften after 15/20 mins of driving (but are still there).

The first thing I did to fix it was to get the front wheels re-balanced, and re-aligned as well. No dice. The Chevy garage I brought it to told me that the left rim was slightly bent (defaut SS rims), so I took it to another garage to get it straightened up. No changes either. I took it back to the Chevy dealer, told them it was still vibrating, I was told that, this time, the right one was also very slightly bent. Somehow it wasn't bent before I got the left one fixed, I find it hard to believe. Had them re-balanced with the "performance" option, still nothing. I took the car to a different dealer, they told me the rims looked fine to them. Had the wheels re-balanced, and aligned as well, no improvement.

I'm running out of ideas on what could be the problem. My tires are Nitto Motivos, with less than 15000 miles on them. All I know is that it did not vibrate this way before, and it happened progressively over the last 6 months. Has anyone had this issue here? Any ideas of what it could be?

Last edited by Dahita; 12-05-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Dahita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Thats funny you say that. I have had vibrations since getting my motivos. I took it back to discount tire and had everything re balanced but it didnt solve it. I blamed mine on the cheaper replica wheels i bought when i had the tires put on but looks like it could be a tire issue. I had no issues with stock wheels and tires. What size are you running?
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
I, too, have experienced vibration with the Nitto Motivos (245/45 20 front and 275/40 20 rear). Took them back to Discount several times after the last rotation/balance exercise before they were finally able to correct the issue. It was all operator error on the part of the guy doing the balancing; took the manager's involvement in order to get it done right. (All kinds of excuses--bent wheel {they wanted to up-sale to one of their aftermarket wheels}to tire issue until they realized I had warranty on the tires and it would be their dime that paid for replacement; then the balance issue was quickly remedied.)
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
When the vibration is limited to the speed range corresponding to the suspension's natural frequency, which is exactly your range (speeds corresponding to around 15 to 20 revolutions per second AKA Hertz) it's got to be balance, bent rims, or tires that are so irregular that even road force balance cannot correct their variable stiffness.

Since your vibration is reduced as the tires warm up, I would suspect the tires. They are structurally degrading and are not only annoying but possibly unsafe.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
I had a similar issue and kept going back to the several shops including the dealership on several occasions. No one could give me a direct answer.. till when it was time to change out my F/R struts and springs.. I found out the rear strut mount bolts on the passenger side were finger tight. Once tightened up correctly... my vibrations disappeared.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
Dahita

Thank you all for your answers.

I got the Motivo size equivalent to the previous pirelli ones. I have balanced them so many times in different shops that I don't think I can solve the issue this way. Summit, did you have to change your struts/springs for maintenance or did you switch them for better ones? If so, which ones, and what was the cost? I might end up trying that because, if it doesn't fix my issue, at least I'll have updated material out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
I had a similar issue and kept going back to the several shops including the dealership on several occasions. No one could give me a direct answer.. till when it was time to change out my F/R struts and springs.. I found out the rear strut mount bolts on the passenger side were finger tight. Once tightened up correctly... my vibrations disappeared.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It would be great if someone in your area swapped wheels with you for a day so you could see whether it's that or struts. As suggested, check strut bolts and look for leaks.

But struts last a long time unless damaged in a mishap. A bent rim might indicate that there was. Did you recently buy this car used?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
Dahita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
It would be great if someone in your area swapped wheels with you for a day so you could see whether it's that or struts. As suggested, check strut bolts and look for leaks.

But struts last a long time unless damaged in a mishap. A bent rim might indicate that there was. Did you recently buy this car used?
Hi Rock-It Man,

You're right on. I bought this car from my brother, which had a fender-bender type of accident on the right front side of the car (guy from the lane on his right turned left on him while he was going straight). Part of the front side was damaged, and the door was bent. All was changed, and everything is fine, but I suspect it had an incidence on the struts. Also, when the right wheel hits a bump, I can hear a noise, like something not tight, trembling/ lightly shaking against something every time. I'm suspecting all this is related.

I'm going to have them checked this afternoon, and report back. Thanks a lot for your input.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #9
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
These cars are very temperamental with tire changes. Took me 3 trips to get mine balanced proper. Some of these kids don't know their machinery. I can do better on a bubble balancer.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:40 AM   #10
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
I have had Motivos on my car for about 35K miles and haven't had any vibration issues. They've also been on two different sets of wheels in that time-frame. I mounted and balanced them myself, so I know they were done correctly. Not saying it's definitely not a tire issue, it kinda sounds like it might be, just I don't have any problems with my Motivos.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #11
Dahita

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROZ11 View Post
I have had Motivos on my car for about 35K miles and haven't had any vibration issues. They've also been on two different sets of wheels in that time-frame. I mounted and balanced them myself, so I know they were done correctly. Not saying it's definitely not a tire issue, it kinda sounds like it might be, just I don't have any problems with my Motivos.

Thanks Proz11, it helps.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #12
Dahita

Ok,

Back from the garage, the issue is almost fixed. I specifically asked them to check on the struts mounts, which they did. They reported no noticeable issue, but re-tighten the bolts nonetheless. It must have worked out somehow, because the problem is almost completely gone! I barely feel a vibration anymore, took it for a 6 hours drive back/forth, finally enjoy my car the way I should.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your answers, and especially to SummitWhite11 for the help.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #13
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahita View Post
Thank you all for your answers.

I got the Motivo size equivalent to the previous pirelli ones. I have balanced them so many times in different shops that I don't think I can solve the issue this way. Summit, did you have to change your struts/springs for maintenance or did you switch them for better ones? If so, which ones, and what was the cost? I might end up trying that because, if it doesn't fix my issue, at least I'll have updated material out of it.

Yes I updated to the Koni Orange STR.T struts with the DSE 1.5" lowering Springs. The car handles great! However I also upgraded to the Black Magic rear sway bar and 1LE front sway bar on my car as well at the same time. Handles like it is on rails. I would never go back to what it was before. Feels like a different animal now.
Attached Images

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #14
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahita View Post
Ok,

Back from the garage, the issue is almost fixed. I specifically asked them to check on the struts mounts, which they did. They reported no noticeable issue, but re-tighten the bolts nonetheless. It must have worked out somehow, because the problem is almost completely gone! I barely feel a vibration anymore, took it for a 6 hours drive back/forth, finally enjoy my car the way I should.

Thanks a lot to all of you for your answers, and especially to SummitWhite11 for the help.
Almost completely doesn't sound like they fixed the issue. Mine would sometimes go days without an issue. Then, as mysteriously as it disappeared, it returned.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering wheel, vibration