Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #29
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
No such thing as a mod friendly dealership when it comes to expensive parts because they can't order them without permission from a rep. You did not read the thread.
I was stating that there is SOME dealers that will work with you on warranty repairs with aftermarket mods on your car. I read the thread. Read my post.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #30
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
peeps got some deep pockets round here....$70K on ZL1 and MODS right away? Why even worry about warranty if you have so much $$$ in your pockets, just pay for your own parts when they break - I'm being a bit snippy I know.

I'll be giddy just to get into a stock ZL1.

Me...If I were that worried about the warranty I'd just wait until it expires then there's nothing to worry about.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #31
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Service Manager discretion. I have modded every new Camaro I have owned BUT I also know the service manager very well at a dealership in my area (we went to high school together). I will say this however, IF GM questions a failed part, they can send a regional rep into the dealership to validate the warranty request. IF the regional rep see's anything out of the norm....all bet's are off and you may very well be own your own. This happen to a buddy of mine with his Mustang....it was not pretty.
This is the right answer. Some dealers might turn an eye to mods. But if you blow the motor GM will ask for detailed information about the car. Even from 2010 to today GM has become more restrictive on what can void a warranty. Any mod except for cosmetic can void your warranty at this point. If you mod your car in any way and have a catastrophic failure be prepared to out of pocket the repair. GM may approve the repair but the days of catch cans and CAI not effecting warranty status seem to be gone.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #32
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
peeps got some deep pockets round here....$70K on ZL1 and MODS right away? Why even worry about warranty if you have so much $$$ in your pockets, just pay for your own parts when they break - I'm being a bit snippy I know.

Me...If I were that worried about the warranty I'd just wait until it expires then there's nothing to worry about.
Hit the nail on the head. If you can't afford to not have warranty then don't mod. And don't buy extended warranties even if you think you might mod.

The old add-age stands "Pay to Play"
Old 09-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #33
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
This is the right answer. Some dealers might turn an eye to mods. But if you blow the motor GM will ask for detailed information about the car. Even from 2010 to today GM has become more restrictive on what can void a warranty. Any mod except for cosmetic can void your warranty at this point. If you mod your car in any way and have a catastrophic failure be prepared to out of pocket the repair. GM may approve the repair but the days of catch cans and CAI not effecting warranty status seem to be gone.
Agreed. It's just a natural progression of technology and manufacturing logistics. As computer technology increases, not only in car, but for the design process as well, companies like GM are able to get more and more out of the engine in terms of performance and efficiency. This allows them to run very close to the max tolerances of the parts used. I mean, even 10 years ago, 650 HP from a factory, mass produced engine?

I think part of it also goes along with the expanding global market. With so many parts, assemblies, and even major systems coming from outside suppliers, GM needs to ensure they can get their warranty covered on those items. Just like we depend on GM to cover issues at the customer level, GM needs to be able to re-coupe on failed parts from the outside contractors. End user modifications muddy those waters drastically.

As far as dealer discretion, I'm sure that there is a protocol involved, a dollar amount involved, TSB's involved, and certain SIP's involved when dealing with contracted parts and systems. A dealer may know what they can and can't get away with before GM gets involved.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #34
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
As far as dealer discretion, I'm sure that there is a protocol involved, a dollar amount involved, TSB's involved, and certain SIP's involved when dealing with contracted parts and systems. A dealer may know what they can and can't get away with before GM gets involved.
For sure. On this topic it seems that some dealers have a power boner to rat out anyone that brings a modded car in for any reason. IE car comes in for a bad window regulator and they see it has headers and reports the VIN to GM. Others never report to GM but once a certain amount of $$ is involved in repair GM requires certain data which ensures mods are discovered before the warranty repair is approved. That is not the dealer or their choice. It is GM's and they have been getting stricter. I personally think GM needs to get on board with the aftermarket. It is crazy that a CAI or catch can has the possibility to void a warranty. The local dealer near me that was mod friendly has stopped doing it and move to marketing Callaway. (They used to install headers and have tunes done all the time.)

I have had three GM performance V8 cars from 2009 and have seen it get worse. I would love to add a cam just for the sound alone. I miss the days when you could do that and the manufacture would be reasonable on the warranty. Now I cannot even add a CAI without it being a chance of a void.

True story in the 90's I lost 3rd gear in a heavily modded Mustang. (Car ran mid 10s and the poor T-5 just could not deal with 500+ rwhp.) Ford replaced the trans under warranty with the stipulation that due to mods this was a one time situation. (and the Ford rep also required I took him for a ride.) It was more than fair but was not uncommon. I shortly later put a tremec into the car which clearly Ford did not cover. But a year later a front wheel bearing failed and again they replaced under warranty. Same with a rear ABS sensor and the rear was 100% aftermarket other than those sensors and the physical housing.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #35
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post

I understand your point and I totally get where you are coming from but I had a horrible experience with a S-10 pickup once and learned REAL QUICK that warranties in the car business are pretty weak. I found out the hard way when my S-10 spun a main bearing with only 27K miles on it and the dealer would NOT cover it under warranty because I chose to do my own oil changes and basic maintenance. Less than two years later I had a SUV that had a transmission issue @ 67K. The tranny was covered under the 100K mile power train warranty, or at least I thought. Seems I missed a REQUIRED transmission flush service interval @ 30K and 60K miles which voided the warranty. After those two incidents, I realized that the warranty was only really there to keep me hostage to the Service Department for things I could easily do on my own. I know times have changed but I haven't forgotten.

So ever since I have never bought a car because of the warranty. What is the good in owning something if someone else can tell you what you can and cannot do with it? No thanks!! With the exception of the Lemon Law I basically consider all costs of maintenance and repairs on me once I drive off the lot and that allows me to have an absolute blast with zero regrets.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:40 PM   #36
2doorrocket

Drives: Gas Guzzlers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
There are what might be cosiderred automatic warranty violations, usually if it involves a tune your warranty is gone.
That doesn't necessarily equate to being a true statement.
Fact: I had a ZL1 that had issues blowing the dipstick out. This started happening at 800mi. We thought it was fixed. I put headers on it, high flow cats, and a custom tune and ran the snot out of it. It happened again. Warranty wasn't void, Field Engineer sent a copy of the tune back to HQ to validate the tune couldn't be the cause of the ongoing issue. They couldn't determine it, I was asked to return the vehicle to stock, and they would re-flash the PCM and TCM for me and continue to diagnosing the issue, and ultimately replaced all the PCV Valves and the supercharger and it didn't have an issue.

Fact: Mods including a tune don't necessarily void a warranty, however - if determined the mod is at fault, that concern would be an out of pocket expense.

Fact: Currently have a Challenger Hellcat with issues steering, the vehicle had lowering springs on it, and a bump-steer kit. Field Engineer asked me to return the vehicle to stock to eliminate potential issues that might be caused by the suspension. I did that, they looked at the concern, they found the steering rack defective, and they paid to have my springs put back on as good faith.

Fact: I had a 2016 Z06 with a fuel line problem, throwing codes, it had a tune on it and racing headers, high flow cats, and corsa double helix x-pipe. They reflashed my PCM, they continued to diagnose it, they replaced the fuel pumps, and then they also replaced the fuel line. Problem went away.

Your warranty is at no point considered void. They may refuse to work on it until its put back to stock, but most dealerships and field engineers would address the issue after they ask you a few questions.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2016 Dodge Viper ACR Extreme
2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

Previous Vehicles:
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat (RIP)
2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T 392 Scat Pack Shaker
2013 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Viper GTS Launch Edition
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2013 Dodge Charger SRT
2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2012 Dodge Charger SRT
2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
2doorrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #37
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorrocket View Post
Fact: I had a ZL1 that had issues blowing the dipstick out. This started happening at 800mi. We thought it was fixed. I put headers on it, high flow cats, and a custom tune and ran the snot out of it. It happened again. Warranty wasn't void, Field Engineer sent a copy of the tune back to HQ to validate the tune couldn't be the cause of the ongoing issue. They couldn't determine it, I was asked to return the vehicle to stock, and they would re-flash the PCM and TCM for me and continue to diagnosing the issue, and ultimately replaced all the PCV Valves and the supercharger and it didn't have an issue.

Fact: Mods including a tune don't necessarily void a warranty, however - if determined the mod is at fault, that concern would be an out of pocket expense.

Fact: Currently have a Challenger Hellcat with issues steering, the vehicle had lowering springs on it, and a bump-steer kit. Field Engineer asked me to return the vehicle to stock to eliminate potential issues that might be caused by the suspension. I did that, they looked at the concern, they found the steering rack defective, and they paid to have my springs put back on as good faith.

Fact: I had a 2016 Z06 with a fuel line problem, throwing codes, it had a tune on it and racing headers, high flow cats, and corsa double helix x-pipe. They reflashed my PCM, they continued to diagnose it, they replaced the fuel pumps, and then they also replaced the fuel line. Problem went away.

Your warranty is at no point considered void. They may refuse to work on it until its put back to stock, but most dealerships and field engineers would address the issue after they ask you a few questions.
Fact: I said usually.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #38
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorrocket View Post

Go back and read this post.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=19

Things that happen at dealerships are one thing and the powers to be at GM finding out about a tune etc are two different things. Vehicles have lost their warranties simply due to posting on forums about headers and tune. Doesn't happen often but it does.

Go tell this guy his warranty shouldn't be voided.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451361
Old 09-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #39
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
This is a really interesting thread and I guess it applies to all cars, not ZL1s specifically. With all of the different experiences people have shared, I guess it kind of depends on your luck when it comes to modifications and warranties. I personally have not seen, either first hand or even second hand, a warranty get completely voided. Usually, the worst I have seen is that I bring my modified car in for repair and they just nicely come back to me after assessing the issue and tell me that they cannot cover it because of a certain modification and that if I want it repaired, it will cost me x amount to get done...that's it. If I need something fixed under warranty that is not related, they just go ahead and fix it. I guess every manufacturer is different...and every tech/dealer/manager is different. Chevrolet back in the day, never gave me a hassle (maybe things have changed). The larger Toyota dealerships never bother me about anything. Dodge just asked questions, but eventually they fixed what they could and helped with what they "could not cover".

I remember with my Corvette, I had a 5 year extended. At the time I did not really understand warranties and how they worked. I was always having issues with weatherstrip leaks and leaking stock shocks. I went through maybe 10-12 sets of each during my 5 year warranty period. Never got questioned about my headers or the two large NOS bottles in the trunk or lack of Cats attached to my flowmasters. Actually one time I came in and they were doing an inspection on the car because that dealer was just really good and they found that both of my valve covers were leaking (I knew about it, but did not get a chance to fix it on my own)...they offered to fix it for me free of charge. Several of my friends were not as lucky and I learned really quick how lucky I was. These days, I try not to mess with warrantied cars, dealers overall just don't want to do warranty work in general. I was told by one of the techs (offsite, of course) that warranty work is not paid back to the dealers at a 100% rate anymore...is that correct?? Meaning if a service job costed say $1000.00 if a customer paid out of pocket. That same job if it was warrantied would only get the dealer $700.00 (just making up a number, I have no idea what the rates are, just that I was told it was less than full value) when paid by GM back to the dealer to cover the warranty. Not sure how that works either. So, as I was advised, it makes the dealer more "strict" about what they are willing to cover.

On the flip side (I was advised), some dealers, especially larger ones, will try to cover what they can to give a picture of "good customer service" pretty much banking on that when the warranty is over, the customer will have confidence in the service department and bring the car in for work for years to come...and eventually buy another new vehicle from the same dealer. Kind of what manufacturers do with that two year service included deal with a new car purchase. It lets the Dealership give the Service department a chance to impress you and when it's over, hopefully you will keep coming back and pay for service. Many people on this Forum are good at working on their own cars, but the average consumer is not and they will need someone they can trust to work on their vehicle....which these days is hard to find.

I am not really planning alot early for my ZL1. The only thing that has crossed my mind is possibly some lowering springs. Sorry, I know alot of people on this forum are not into that, but that front fender is sitting just a little high for my tastes. I guess after SEMA this year my wish list might grow, but I will try to resist until the warranty is gone. It will be a funny conversation when my dealer tries to sell me the extended warranty...do you want to extend to 5 or 7 years...only if you let me mod the car...lol
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #40
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
This is a really interesting thread...l
Great post... I'm not sure how some of the internals work either but you're right on. And I'll be interested in lowering as well.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #41
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I had some issues that led to the ECM being bad, I only had a CAI and catch can as mods. The service manager has always been good about mods and said as long as I haven't tuned it I should be fine. When the question of a bad ECM came up the first thing he asked me is if I have done a tune. He said he would have to flash the ECM and send it to GM, and if it showed a tune he said they would most likely deny warranty. There doesn't seem to be a standard rule as far as warranty but it seems many use the tune as the line to cross.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #42
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
I had some issues that led to the ECM being bad, I only had a CAI and catch can as mods. The service manager has always been good about mods and said as long as I haven't tuned it I should be fine. When the question of a bad ECM came up the first thing he asked me is if I have done a tune. He said he would have to flash the ECM and send it to GM, and if it showed a tune he said they would most likely deny warranty. There doesn't seem to be a standard rule as far as warranty but it seems many use the tune as the line to cross.
Yeah, we tend to make the rules on our own based on experiences here on the forum. I've rolled in with visible mods and never had a problem, including the infamous supercharger change on the early ZL1s. But when it's something like a blown engine and you really need the warranty is when the dealers are required to send pictures and such to GM. Like the Catch Can guy.