Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #1
Sdvolcom

Drives: 2010 5th gen camaro 2ss LS3
Beginner in modding- need advice

So I just bought a 5th gen ls3 6- speed 2ss. I have already bought an intake and I have a muffler delete along with a skip shift solenoid.
I am now kinda lost on where to proceed.
My long term goals are to boost my car (single turbo) and have I wrapped matte red with a z28- style spoiler with z28 or zl1 (real) rims.
I'm not trying to go THAT crazy because this car is now my daily. I just want to build the car.
Anybody have ideas that won't break the bank when it comes to modding the car??
Sdvolcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #2
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Drives: 2017 1SS Camaro/6 speed
catch can first!!! then longtube headers, mug flaps to protect the paint on the car,tune, 3.91 Diff Swap, head, lowering springs, splitter, side skirts. Just too many different type of mods available for the LS3, what are you exactly looking for?

BTW, you can get the replica Z28 style spoiler for only $100 on Amazon, eBay if that what you are looking to get in the future eventually. Many members on the forum have purchased it including myself, awesome quality and paint match.
hzisfrom1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
jdrop01

Drives: 05 GTO
I would pick up some ZL1 Sway bars front and rear it made my car handle so much better and my daily drive is a lot more fun now she handles like crazy. Plus side is the sway bars are really cheap and OEM parts.
jdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:45 AM   #4
guerrillakilla13

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdvolcom View Post
So I just bought a 5th gen ls3 6- speed 2ss. I have already bought an intake and I have a muffler delete along with a skip shift solenoid.
I am now kinda lost on where to proceed.
My long term goals are to boost my car (single turbo) and have I wrapped matte red with a z28- style spoiler with z28 or zl1 (real) rims.
I'm not trying to go THAT crazy because this car is now my daily. I just want to build the car.
Anybody have ideas that won't break the bank when it comes to modding the car??

So you have

-Intake
-Muffler Delete
-Skip Shift

What you should get next

-Longtube headers
-ported / polished Throttlebody
-Front splitter for downforce
-Spoiler / wickerbill for downforce
-rocker panels
-Z28 Suspension Kit

Later down the line:

Heads / Cam with supporting parts (manifold, valvesprings, etc)
Supercharger with supporting parts (make sure your car can handle the power)

And oh yeah

guerrillakilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Hey your in California Known as Hell for modders as after the intital three years of a new car now you have to SMOG test so altering most things for performance is a sell the car out of state deal when you can not longer license it as I understand their ECO-EPA NAZI agenda Commiefornia. Also hope your Camaro is not stolen as they love those down there I hear... And yes the initial catch can, and a separate clutch reservoir are needed and have been........ diygen5.com or gen5diy.com which ever sells Holden GTO separate clutch reservoirs, you should read up on what you can do, I know you can have a CAI and a ported throttle body, Up here in Oregon we can have headers no problem, only Portland does smog testing... and they are o.k. even there and the rest of the state we can mod all we want.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
Agree on the catch can. I would advice to forget the long tube headers if you're going to go turbo later on. You'll never get what you paid for them, especially if you buy them new. I'd concentrate more on suspension to have the car ready for when you go FI. If you're in SD (figured from your user name) there's a weekly meet down in Mission Valley. Search San Diego County Camaros on Facebook and you can find more info on stuff going on in the area. A lot of good guys on there.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
Sdvolcom

Drives: 2010 5th gen camaro 2ss LS3
Awesome thank you guys so much for the feedback. I will hopefully be updating my profile on the build. Thanks again.
Sdvolcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Yeah, I'm here in the Repuik. And I leased ...with the "probability" I'll buy as the residual is realistic. But that's three years down the line. I already have the contraband, Z/28 CAI and may get more GAS. (Gear acquisition syndrome) Love (of your Camaro) is a drug and I need to score...for all you old enough to remember Roxy Music.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #9
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Well, I haven't heard of or seen a single turbo 5th gen with long tube headers.

Check out LIO MARTINEZ and his single turbo 1LE, he lives in CA. You can probably get a good basis off of that.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369185
Old 09-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
Vertwheal

Drives: 2015 AGM 1SS/RS/1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Hey your in California Known as Hell for modders as after the intital three years of a new car now you have to SMOG test so altering most things for performance is a sell the car out of state deal when you can not longer license it as I understand their ECO-EPA NAZI agenda Commiefornia. Also hope your Camaro is not stolen as they love those down there I hear... And yes the initial catch can, and a separate clutch reservoir are needed and have been........ diygen5.com or gen5diy.com which ever sells Holden GTO separate clutch reservoirs, you should read up on what you can do, I know you can have a CAI and a ported throttle body, Up here in Oregon we can have headers no problem, only Portland does smog testing... and they are o.k. even there and the rest of the state we can mod all we want.
It's the first six years of a new car where you pay an abatement fee and don't have to smog. So you got 6 years to go crazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
CAI intake, ADM scoop, Rotofab washer relocation, Bo White stage II ported TB, Stainless Power 1 7/8 LT, RPI Splash Guards, Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts, Tuned by Rick @ Synergy Motorsports - 414/403 on a Mustang dyno
Vertwheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #11
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzisfrom1994 View Post
catch can first!!! then longtube headers, mug flaps to protect the paint on the car,tune, 3.91 Diff Swap, head, lowering springs, splitter, side skirts. Just too many different type of mods available for the LS3, what are you exactly looking for?

BTW, you can get the replica Z28 style spoiler for only $100 on Amazon, eBay if that what you are looking to get in the future eventually. Many members on the forum have purchased it including myself, awesome quality and paint match.
Ever hear of a Catch Can voiding the warrantee?
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:57 PM   #12
hzisfrom1994
ZYJ

Drives: 2017 1SS Camaro/6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by yescats View Post
Ever hear of a Catch Can voiding the warrantee?
no i haven't and shouldn't.
hzisfrom1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #13
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
An Elite Catch Can and a ported VMAX Throttle Body would be great starting points. Both of these upgrades are very easy and fairly inexpensive in comparison to others. If you plan on going forced induction, I would stop there and focus on addressing suspension upgrades. Depending on your end goal here, you have several routes. Please let me know if you have any questions and feel free to contact us at anytime.

Kind regards,

-Adrian
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
If you plan to go turbo then do not spend money on long tube headers.

Suspension stuff
catch can
cold air intake
ported throttle body
exhaust
MGW shifter
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ss, advice, appearance, modding, performance