Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #1023
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
LOL I don't think there are many <24 year olds on this site. I would assume most people on here are in their 40s or older.
And to do a poll the over 40s would skip it.

I was 18 in 1988 and headed to the military. My old 73' Z28 was sold away and couldn't touch 12s but was pretty fast for my young ass. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoketRdr View Post
Exactly! I've been in the oil/gas industry for over 20 years and with the policies the current Obama administration is pushing through the EPA the days of the American 'Hotrod' and 'Muscle Car' is coming to an end. Today we have the most powerful Camaro's, Corvettes, and Mustangs ever produced. You guys better enjoy them while you can because their days are numbered. This is part of the reason why a lot of us got into 'hot rodding' our diesel trucks because they will never go away. Over the next 5-7 years the gas powered hot rod will become an endangered species. Drive em like you stole em and stop complaining that they ONLY run low 12's. Its the fastest showroom Camaro ever built and it was purposely designed to shine on the road coarse. If its a fraction of a second slower than the Mustang at the drag strip it's still a major accomplishment for a 'road course' car. No one leaves their car's stock anyway so who cares what it does out of the box. I remember the days when we thought 280hp was huge and breaking into the 14's was something. Appreciate what we have available in these fine cars because the government is working hard at doing away with them.
I agree with you. Problem is that I've heard this same argument for years and years. I think we have plenty of time. Now our grandkids might be screwed, but I can see 10 more years of this.

However, they can not keep upping the factory HP numbers. And I think GM will end up the winner with the ZL1 because of the 'sideways' direction they are taking the competition.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #1024
TheReaper

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfieldtrash View Post

Well said, RoketRdr! The times, they are a-changin'!
31 years for me. Packing it in next year
I have 38 years in the Exploration part of the O&G business so I must really be old.
TheReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #1025
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Time will tell.

I agree with you and you and I are obviously on the same side. I'm just being optimistic. 3 years ago I bet that the Camaro would not see 5 years worth. Not only was I wrong but they are talking about a 6th Gen and with power. The new Mustang that still isn't here is producing 650+ hp. I can see a few more years of this. And with the change of administration even a little longer.

Oh, and expect these posts to be deleted. LOL
Yes sir...I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
I have 38 years in the Exploration part of the O&G business so I must really be old.
Old is a state of mind. I refuse to let that word come out of my mouth even though my daughters like to use the term.

The point of our posts is to help everyone understand that we may not be able to continue pursuing our passion whether it be a Camaro, Corvette, Mustang or whatever gets the heart pumping. Its no longer going to be a 'right'. These are the most powerful and technologically advanced cars GM and Ford have ever built. Enjoy them and stop complaining because it ran a 12.04 instead of an 11.99. Enjoy the cars because at the end of the day you wrote a check so you could get a smile on YOUR face no matter what anyone else thinks. None of us designed or built the cars so do you really have any bragging rights if your stock ZL1 beat a stock GT500 or the other way around? And the car that ran a 12.04 at one track may run 11.80 at another. There are tons of factors involved and a high horsepower car remaining consistent day-to-day or track-to-track just isn't possible due to the laws of physics and driver error. Higher elevation, ambient and track temps, surface preparation, driver skill and amount of time behind the wheel of that particular machine all play factors in what the clock says at the end of the 1320. Relax fellas...the ZL1 will improve its drag strip times once more is known about the car, the conditions are right and an experienced driver has spent some time behind the wheel. Hennessey and LMR both recently ran the cars at tracks on opposite sides of Houston with similar results while the temps where in the 90's, the engines haven't been broken in and the drivers haven't had time to clock some hours getting accustomed to how the car wants to be driven. Everything will come together...just be patient. I think the ZL1 and GT500 are both going to be very closely matched cars.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #1026
Oilfieldtrash

Drives: 2001 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper View Post
You are!!! But then you can go consult and make real money!!!
Honestly, It's not bad being an old guy, we can afford to get what we want..well, at least for now...
Oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700hp z28 strip car, zl1 track car