Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
GearLube

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Inferno Orange Convertib
Oracle halos - Heat Gun or Oven?

I see in the halo instructions for install they talk about a heat gun or an oven. I had put halos in a non RS headlights and I got the headlight too warm and part of the front warped a little bit. So I am to nervous to try it again because I don't feel I can get my oven to regulate a good heat. Then I see the heat gun. Has anyone tried this? Using a heat gun to do this?

Also for those that have removed the front bumper, any tips on getting that high torx bolt that is so dreaded? A better tool to reach it? I had done it once about 4 years ago on my 2010. I swear I still have scars. But I bet others have perfected it by now...I hope....
GearLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
chetkan
Haters gonna hate!!!

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Synergy Green
What high torx bolt? The only torx bolts to get the front end apart are on the wheel liner. There are 4 10mm bolts and 1 7mm bolt inside each wheel well. 2 10 mm on the underside of the front clip, 2 10mm bolts on the top and a bunch of those annoying push clips.
chetkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You want to put them in the oven. A heat gun will cause problems, you can't heat up the plastic in isolated chunks. It needs to all be heated up at once, hence the oven.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I just got done baking mine. 220* for 20 mins at a time and you'll be fine. Don't rush it

As far as the bumper, I jacked the front of the car up just enough to drop the wheels down. This helped pull the fender liner further out so you can reach it better. You can always take the wheels off too so you have more room but too much work IMO.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
GearLube

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Inferno Orange Convertib
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
I just got done baking mine. 220* for 20 mins at a time and you'll be fine. Don't rush it

As far as the bumper, I jacked the front of the car up just enough to drop the wheels down. This helped pull the fender liner further out so you can reach it better. You can always take the wheels off too so you have more room but too much work IMO.
Did you have to ever reheat them again? or did they come apart pretty easy?
GearLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
puzzzeler

Drives: 2012 2LS Inferno Orange
You'll have to reheat and rework and repeat if necessary.
puzzzeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Kulo

Drives: Silver Ice Metallic SS
I did mine over the holidays,and found that I had to bump my my oven to 235 degrees, 220 wasn't cutting it. I did try the heat gun but that didn't really work.
Oven is better.

I had a hell of a time getting that top bolt off and I mean I had to dig deep into the toolbox to find the right extensions and swivels.When I reinstalled the front end I removed each tire. It made it soooo much easier and quicker.