Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
The Camaro took the spotlight: left the Corvettes/Viper in it's shadow...

My local Chevy dealer had finally received their showroom car. It was an order, so it was already sold. No matter, I just wanted to check it out in person anyways. Turns out it was one of the cars that escaped the Quality Control checks early on... I forgot to check the VIN #, but the dealer I was working with told me that the car needed to be shipped back soon to get the check. I'm sure that customer was relatively disgruntled having to wait to get their car, even though it was sitting right there in the showroom.

So my story... I drove up the road that the dealer was on, and saw this amazing Red Viper RT/10 take a turn in front of me... I thought to myself, hm, he must be checking out the Camaro too! Sure enough, he pulled into the lot, him and his girlfriend got out, and walked down a row of cars toward some other area... but away from the showroom. I almost pulled up next to him in my rag-tag F-150 with 250k miles on it, but I wasn't in that BAD of a mood, because I knew I was only feet away from what I was REALLY there to see, not a Viper, but a Camaro.

I walked into the showroom, and there was a used '06 Corvette Silver Covert directly in front, and a brand new turtle waxed '09 Corvette Black Coupe to the right, but they weren't what caught my eye. Directly off the bat, in my peripheral vision, as soon as I walked in, I saw a red blur off to the left. Before even looking at it directly, I realized what it was... the Camaro. This car absolutely stole the show. I had no idea that a Victory Red 1LT fully loaded with RS package/C&C could catch my eye over TWO Corvettes. Oh, by the way, I just realized (at the moment I'm typing this) that I had completely forgotten about only the 3rd or 4th Viper I've ever seen on the road in my life, just 2 minutes before.

Holy #$!, what a beautiful car. You've heard it before, and you'll hear it again, this car looks ABSOLUTELY STUNNING in person. Pictures don't do it enough justice. I never knew that that Victory Red with those lines could look so sexy, muscular, and powerful at the same time. I'll list in bullets what I thought of the car for easy reading:
  • The car is VERY roomy, I got in at a large 6 foot 5, with legs a lot more proportionally larger than my torso. Plenty of room everywhere, either slouched, upright, or casual. Also had a hat on as you can see in the picture, fit very well.
  • The interior was amazing. Fully black, with CLOTH seats, I said cloth, yes, were probably the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in in a car in my life. They looked amazingly sleek, felt great, and were not confined bucket seats like some others are. Very comfortable.
  • Halos: Haha, wow, they made the car a 9.7 out of 10 to a 10.0 out of 10. Hella mean looking, even with the normal HID center lights on.
  • The lines, back rear quarters, and stance were stunning. I brought my folks in to look as well and they were stupified at how amazing a car can look. The sharkfin wasn't as bad as I would have thought, it blended in very nicely with the car, and even on a red car, looks exactly where it needed to be.
  • View from inside the car was very satisfactory. The mirrors give very good visibility, which is what you rely on mainly anyways (I never have to look over my shoulders or side to look for a car, I have a very good presence of mind and am very good to judge how a person is driving their car, etc. I'm most other drivers have this skill fully developed as well.) So that being said, the rear view mirror is slightly in the way looking off to the right of the windshield, but then again my parent's Touareg has more of a visibility imparity in the same location. I love how little glass there is on the car. It gives it that "low-rider BA" feeling and gives the car some attitude. Awesome.
  • Steering wheel? Not as big as I thought it would be, which is good. Very solid feeling, looking, and the paddle-shifters (since it was an auto) felt good. Doors? Huge, lots of room to get in an out. Cloth inserts on the cloth interior, btw. It was all very stylish.

Exhaust tips are larger on the SS over the LT, btw.

Also got one of those brochures, nifty.

There will definitely be a new car in the family, a car that will be a definite one-of-a-kind and be in the garage for many years to come. 2SS/RS VR(which looks amazing in person) or CGM on Black Interior.

Last edited by Splitter; 04-25-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
great write up. At the autoshow, the ZR1 had a few people, while the Camaro had a line up! This car is a homerun for GM
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
TJ91

that v6 was auto right?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Good story...until I came to the pic and had to see that other "thing" sitting below the pic of you in the Camaro. Please delete that eyesore.....lol
Old 04-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Splitter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
that v6 was auto right?
yeah
Old 04-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
TJ91

cant wait to see them pumping out the V6 manual ones
what thing are you talking about? lol
Old 04-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Splitter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
cant wait to see them pumping out the V6 manual ones
what thing are you talking about? lol
There was a green 914 in my sig, it was a bit much.

(The family's 1973 914 is silver-metallic blueish.)
Old 04-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
69 rs/ss

Drives: 1969 rs/ss & 2010 L99 #3747 4/28/09
Great info. Thanks
69 rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
Cyberfan

Drives: 08 Z06 Vette; 02 T/A Firehawk
The Camaro got more attention at the Atlanta Auto Show a month ago than the ZR-1 Corvette right next to it. I went the first day of the show. They let you sit in the V-6, but not the SS or the ZR-1. I think more people at the show might consider a Camaro in their future than a six figure Corvette, which might have something to do with it. I agree it looks like a home run, but trucks and Malibus will save GM, not this car!
Cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote