Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
BMR'd my Camaro

Put on the sub-frame connectors and tunnel brace yesterday. Toe rods had the wrong size bushings, so will do those next Friday and update.

Pretty easy install, only issues are:

Getting the nut carriers up into the frame took a few taps from a small hammer & smaller fingers to get up in and positioned. The nut carriers that slide in the open portion of the frame are easier, you just need help holding up the connectors while you get the bolts started. The silver bolts that come with subs are a little long and had to be shimmed going into the frame, the ones holding the tunnel brace were close, but did not hit the body. Also, with aftermarker exhaust, you may want to shim the tunnel brace so it doesn't hit the pipes. Used washers instead of the 1/2 inch shims(cut pieces of pipe) that came with exhaust.

The toes as I said, we did not install due to wrong size bushings. The right ones are being shipped Monday. Did not want to deal with drilling out the wrong ones on a lathe, so I'll just wait. The only issue there is you will need to drop the sub-frame on the car a couple inches to sneak the inside bolts out and past the fuel take. Without dropping, you may be able to tap them out, but will never get them back in!

Already had the tailing arms in, no issues there.

I got the car up on ramps in my garage and decided there was not enough clearance to work comfortably. Took it to my local shop where it was much easiler.

Brandon & Jeff @ IPS got the stuff to me with a little help from their friends........
Attached Images

Last edited by d69chris; 01-25-2010 at 09:34 AM.
d69chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
d69chris
Florida C5

More pictures
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
d69chris
Florida C5

Final Pics
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
YancyJohns

Drives: Camaro Performers Magazine
Thanks for the info and Pics!! How big a difference is the handling? How's the ride quality now compaired to stock?
Camaro Performers Magazine SS/RS- 416 stroker, MagnaCharger TVS2300, DSE Sway, Baer 6S Brakes, Forgeline Wheels, BFG Rival, JBA Long tube/Exhaust, Center-Force Clutch, BMR-sfc,ta,tr, Energy Suspension poly kit, ADM CAI & Fuel pump, Norris PCV/Tune, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, DSS 9" rear ind rear, Innov. West pulleys/8 rib, Pedders Super cloil-overs, MGW shifter,/Seibon/ Anvil carbon Fiber. Owner-American Street Car Series and as seen on R U Faster than a Redneck?...lol

Last edited by YancyJohns; 01-24-2010 at 03:41 PM.
YancyJohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
d69chris
Florida C5

It has been raining cats & dogs here, dodging them has been easier with the tightened up rear end.

This mod will improve the handling a bit by stiffening the body, but it's really to get the rear end to stay put and transfer power to the rear wheels. BMR might have more clarity on that.

Will let you know how she pulls after the drags 2/28 @ Fontana. She should really hook and go this time!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
If it were for handling alone I'd have to use an overkill smiley. lmao

But I'll be looking for your update on how your test runs go. I didn't know you could benefit this way from this.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Steve1968LS2

Drives: 1968 LS2 powered - Bad Penny
Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post
Put on the sub-frame connectors and tunnel brace yesterday. Toe rods had the wrong size bushings, so will do those next Friday and update.

Pretty easy install, only issues are:

Getting the nut carriers up into the frame took a few taps from a small hammer & smaller fingers to get up in and positioned. The nut carriers that slide in the open portion of the frame are easier, you just need help holding up the connectors while you get the bolts started. The silver bolts that come with subs are a little long and had to be shimmed going into the frame, the ones holding the tunnel brace were close, but did not hit the body. Also, with aftermarker exhaust, you may want to shim the tunnel brace so it doesn't hit the pipes. Used washers instead of the 1/2 inch shims(cut pieces of pipe) that came with exhaust.

The toes as I said, we did not install due to wrong size bushings. The right ones are being shipped Monday. Did not want to deal with drilling out the wrong ones on a lathe, so I'll just wait. The only issue there is you will need to drop the sub-frame on the car a couple inches to sneak the inside bolts out and past the fuel take. Without dropping, you may be able to tap them out, but will never get them back in!

Already had the tailing arms in, no issues there.

I got the car up on ramps in my garage and decided there was not enough clearance to work comfortably. Took it to my local shop where it was much easiler.
We just did this install for Camaro Performers Magazine.

BMR has replaced the bolts in your shots with new ones that work. Also, the bushings in the toes were the correct ones now.

Instead of dropping the sub a bit to get out the driver's side toe rod bolt we used a pry bar and GENTLY used it to push in the plastic gas tank liner enough to get the bolt out. When we reassembled the car we put the bolt back in the opposite direction.

There was on bracket where the holes didn't line up (the one with one nut and one hole and a handle that goes into the front sub). We fixed it and BMR is making a change to thier kit.

Overall it was VERY easy to install with the subframe connector taking under an hour total and the rear trailing arms and toe arms taking maybe an hour. We still need to do the install on the drive shaft safety loop.

Note: our car had an aftermarket JBA exhaust and there were no clearance issues.

1968 Camaro - 461 RHS LS 700hp, various stuff, called Bad Penny
1968 Camaro - In progress, called Track Rat
2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

www.fquick.com/steve1968ls2
Steve1968LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Mr.LSX

Drives: 1967 RSSS
Nice. Thanks for sharing!
Mr.LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
Mayhem Matt

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS M6 SUPERCHRGED BUMBLEBEE
DAVE CALL ME CALL ME!!
Ordered Bumblebee 10/15/2008Part of the Family 6/11/2009 #11423

My Bumblebee to Superbee build story...http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105163
Superbee's 536hp Dyno Run...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE7wePluPAc
Mayhem Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
If it were for handling alone I'd have to use an overkill smiley. lmao

But I'll be looking for your update on how your test runs go. I didn't know you could benefit this way from this.
I would have to disagree. This should be a VERY nice mod to make handling considerably better. Being only $250 for the brace is a fantastic price.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Dave,
Nice pictures, and general information for other members! It will be interesting to get more feedback on the product once the weather comes around for you. The rapport is always the most interesting ( aside from very nice install pictures ) . Looks great!

Regards
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Thanks Steve, you beat me to it! That is correct, the bolts in the subframe connectors have been corrected since you both performed your installations. We always welcome customer feedback. Turns out the bolt size was correct, our supplier just sent us bolts with shanks instead of full threads and the packaging department didn't know any better. Glad to see the installs went well.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Nice.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #14
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
i'm jealous! i want all of that!

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011