Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #1
TJTurner22

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Metallic 2LS/RS
USB Compatibility

I currently use USB flash drives and my iPhone in my 2011 Camaro's USB port in the center console, but neither has enough storage to hold all my music. My goal is to use an SSD external hard drive so that I can fit my 8,000 music files on there. I just purchased an external hard drive and I keep getting the following error message, "No supported data found. You can safely disconnect the device." This has happened before with some USB flash drives. Seems to be random, like it can read certain devices but can't read others. I've already tried formatting the storage device to NTFS and exFAT with no luck. All songs are formatted in .mp3. In case it can't read that many songs, I just put one song on there and it still won't read. I'm thinking maybe go to the dealership and get the PDIM updated. Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Last edited by TJTurner22; 05-03-2016 at 10:01 PM.
TJTurner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
I'm not 100% positive but I think USB flash drives are FAT32 filing system. Might give that a try. Also for some reason I think I read awhile back that there is a limit to how many songs you can have on the drive. I have 150 songs on mine and it takes 1-2 minutes just to read and organize those before they start playing. I would think 8000 would take hours. lol
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:36 AM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTurner22 View Post
I currently use USB flash drives and my iPhone in my 2011 Camaro's USB port in the center console, but neither has enough storage to hold all my music. My goal is to use an SSD external hard drive so that I can fit my 8,000 music files on there. I just purchased an external hard drive and I keep getting the following error message, "No supported data found. You can safely disconnect the device." This has happened before with some USB flash drives. Seems to be random, like it can read certain devices but can't read others. I've already tried formatting the storage device to NTFS and exFAT with no luck. All songs are formatted in .mp3. In case it can't read that many songs, I just put one song on there and it still won't read. I'm thinking maybe go to the dealership and get the PDIM updated. Any ideas?

Thanks guys
You must have a lot more songs that 8,000. I have just a bit over 4,000 and they all fit on a 16gig flash drive, and you can easily buy a 256gig flash drive.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:37 AM   #4
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
You must have a lot more songs that 8,000. I have just a bit over 4,000 and they all fit on a 16gig flash drive, and you can easily buy a 256gig flash drive.
Same here. I have a 32-gig flash drive with a few hundred albums. Of course quantity depends on the bit rate their ripped in. I don't know if the system has a size limit on compatible drives though.

OP: Maybe check the audio forum. The members there would know much better than I would.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:37 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
the limit is 10,000, so you would be fine, tis another issue.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTurner22 View Post

Thanks guys
Post #13 in the following thread might be helpful:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447677
Old 05-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I just formatted a portable 1TB usb drive with exFAT (The only option other than NTFS) under Windows 10 and loaded it with 3,600 songs just to test the drive later today to see if it'll work at all.

Well I just confirmed what we all thought.
I formatted the 1TB portable drive as extFAT and no the car (2013ZL1) didn't see it at all. Only had around 3,600 tunes on it, so the problem isn't the number of tunes.

I use a 64gig flash drive in my 2015 with no problems. I didn't have to reformat the 64gig and have no idea what it came formatted as.

Last edited by HDRDTD; 05-04-2016 at 03:22 PM.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #8
Foxfire15

Drives: 2015 2LT/RS BVM
IT guy here. If it needs to be Fat32, you'll need to use an external tool. I had to do something similar on my 3ds to support a 64gb SD card. Windows will not allow you to format anything larger than 32GB as Fat32, but there's not technically a partition size limit on it. Unfortunately my personal computer is in storage at the moment, and I can't remember the program I used offhand.

What your MyLink / radio supports depends on the version. found this, maybe it will help: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293496
Foxfire15 is offline   Reply With Quote