Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Video of '13 GT500 vs. '12 ZL1

Something to look at while we are waiting. This forum needs some enthusiasm as we are all wound up so tight. The morale has gone way south over the last few weeks with the extended hold etc.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Not bad I guess. Thanks for the video. It may have been better to use newer images and better information, but it was a nice little distraction

Thanks!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
69NMYSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Not bad I guess. Thanks for the video. It may have been better to use newer images and better information, but it was a nice little distraction

Thanks!
needed something new to look at. I cant view the QC hold megathread anymore as i want to scream. The ZL1 is has a much better weight ratio than the GT500 which is critcal on the track. However, with 650hp and 300 lbs lighter, not sure if we have a chance on the strip. Gonna see some crazy trap times with the 500, possibly high 120's
Old 03-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
snapp32e

Drives: '81-Z28/'07-Tundra/'12-ZL1/'13-Jeep
No kidding. The hold seems to be all anyone wants to talk about these days. Someone start some fresh threads or have we covered everything already?
ZL1 #612
snapp32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
69NMYSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBlindingBias View Post
I would say this should be moved to the OTHER cars section but it seems it will get locked for being an OTHER car.
Its a ZL1 vs. GT500, let it be, people need to look at something diffrent.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Ford just announced the '13 GT500 pricing, from $54,200 USD. Not as bad as many were expecting.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Ford just announced the '13 GT500 pricing, from $54,200 USD. Not as bad as many were expecting.
To equip the 2013 GT500 similarly to a base ZL1, the $3,495 SVT Performance Package and the yet to be priced Track Package must be added.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
To equip the 2013 GT500 similarly to a base ZL1, the $3,495 SVT Performance Package and the yet to be priced Track Package must be added.
BINGO. And before we make assumptions about whether-or-not the GT500 needs these features, let's wait for performance numbers.

ALSO (to any future posts)- stay on topic. There's nothing in this thread about GT500 pricing. We see the price - a valid point was made - we'll leave it at that

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post

How do you equip the forged internals to be similar to the gt500?
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
How do you equip the forged internals to be similar to the gt500?
It's not necessary. GM doesn't have to build a 1000-horse'-capable motor. They need to build the motor for the power level they are advertising and have done so, and then some.

It's would be a shame if that car remains a strip monster only... We'll soon see though.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Drake Heminger

Drives: 2014 Stingray Z51
Yea I'm looking for a daily drive so in glad GM designed it that way actually u get best of both worlds (;
Old 03-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
It's not necessary. GM doesn't have to build a 1000-horse'-capable motor. They need to build the motor for the power level they are advertising and have done so, and then some.

It's would be a shame if that car remains a strip monster only... We'll soon see though.
It's not a strip monster because it hasn't been tested yet.
so who knows? we can only assume.
If you want to talk about equally equipped though you can't just ignore the whole engine can you?

Options are options, don't know why people continue to pile on the add ons trying to make the gt500 more espensive on purpose for what? to feel better?
I thought we compared cars by base price?
if the ZL1 trumps the features of the gt500 on the base price isn't that a good thing?
55k is a great price for both cars. keep it simple.
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Fair enough. Who knows if that power is going to do any good? It won't, unless you can apply it to the tarmac. I'm going to assume it is going to handle good. I'm not sure it's going to handle great, or if it's going to be considerably faster as a result of that power. I am interested in seeing though.

You bring up an interesting point about being equally equipped. It's okay for you to only referrence the motor, however, it is not for me to suggest the entire car... Interesting - because that motor is going to need a capable chassis in order to make use of it's considerable power. Your point makes no sense to me - sorry. GM didn't only poke and stroke the short block. GM put together a complete package - bumper to bumper - top-to-bottom.

It will be interesting, also, to see what the people who are saying that the base GT500 will perform like, when it's compared to a similarly priced ZL1. Will these same people then complain that the GT500 wasn't equipped correctly, and that the tests weren't fair if it doesn't perform on the same level?

It seems to easy to dismiss the CAMARO as being more than an engine with some electric shocks and springs. Not many outside of CAMARO-people want to acknowledge everything else that went into ZL1. I kinda' like that Ford is offerring the option of a Track Pack to complete the car, and make it more affordable for the person that is more interested in acceleration competition, however, it's nice that you don't have to fuss with ZL1 - you get a couple performance options, and that's that.

It's not as simple as you, and maybe others try to make the price. It's about value - and for some people - that means a car that does everything great.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
If you want to talk about equally equipped though you can't just ignore the whole engine can you?
One can ignore the extra engine equipment, if the extra engine equipment is not necessary for the intended application.

Quote:
Options are options, don't know why people continue to pile on the add ons trying to make the gt500 more espensive on purpose for what? to feel better? I thought we compared cars by base price?
For a comparison to have significance, cars should be compared as similarly equipped as possible given the available equipment in order to perform as close to an apples to apples comparison as is possible. A vehicle's base price doesn't mean much if a number of options are required to equip it in order to get it to perform with the same or similar features as the vehicle to which it is being compared has.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gt500 vs 700 hp z/28