Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2018 Camaro Fest (VIII)

Old 01-06-2018, 01:23 AM   #15
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
You will have a blast doing either. But I lean towards NCM. It's like do you want an 8 second bull ride or a 2-3 minute lap all day.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #16
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
Helmet came today. Guess I'm committed now. Drag, NCM or both?
If you're gonna be there all 3 days ya' might as well do both!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
We're definitely doing NCM again - already completed talks with a series of different people.

The biggest challenge, as has been mentioned: is coaches...The best way to learn any track and any car is to have a coach in your car...or be in the car with a coach...Yet we have SO many novice drivers compared to a typical HPDE (which is awesome), that there aren't enough coaches to go around 1:1. But we're working on that.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:23 AM   #18
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
This will be my first time tracking my car. I know my limits as a driver. My main concern is being in some ones way. Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #19
Dragonman

Since this will be your first time on track you'll be placed in a Novice group with others of similar experience. Passing is unlikely and there will be strict rules for where and how passing is to be done. You're not racing. You will not be in anyone's way. If you feel that you are, the person that you feel you are in the way of is probably in the wrong run group. Go out and have fun and get to push your car and yourself a little harder than you might on public roads. You do not need to feel obligated to "go fast" although by your second or third session you probably will be going much faster than you did on your first.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #20
wrankin
Camaros Of Northwest Ohio

Drives: 2016 Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
Since this will be your first time on track you'll be placed in a Novice group with others of similar experience. Passing is unlikely and there will be strict rules for where and how passing is to be done. You're not racing. You will not be in anyone's way. If you feel that you are, the person that you feel you are in the way of is probably in the wrong run group. Go out and have fun and get to push your car and yourself a little harder than you might on public roads. You do not need to feel obligated to "go fast" although by your second or third session you probably will be going much faster than you did on your first.
That's some great advice and makes me even more interested!

Bill
2013 2SS / RS - AGM / Jet Black (sold)
1970 1/2 Z/28 Classic Copper / Tan (sold many years ago)
wrankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #21
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Quote:
Thanks Man, that's the advice I'm looking for.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #22
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Wonderfully said, my friend!
Old 01-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #23
Dragonman

Thanks folks.

In the category of advice you might not be looking for;

If yer tires ain't moaning at you, at least a little bit, while your traveling through any of the many turns at NCM, yer not doin' it right.

On a more serious note. For those that haven't "pushed" their Camaros I think they will be genuinely surprised at just how well they handle, even in stock form, than say, your granddad's Buick or my previous car, an '04 Impala. In the four sessions I did at NCM last year, I never did get it to its limits, or mine really. The only thing, other than it being about 20 degrees cooler, that would've made NCM better for me was to have had an entire session of completely clear track so I could explore the path to those limits thoroughly, without having to concern myself with what was ahead or behind. I wouldn't have broken any track records but I certainly would know my car better than I do now. Don't be 'scairt to jump on those binders and it'll turn harder than you think it will.

Here's some more serious advice. Make sure you get a fresh oil change before you head down, no matter where you're at in your oil change cycle. My oil temps maxxed out and the tire pressures went up 12+ PSI on both of the last 2 sessions. I got to work it some both those sessions but it was just damn hot. I don't know that it's absolutely necessary but, I also had JusticePete and his crew do a complete brake fluid flush and replace and put Motul 660 RBF in it. The only place I found it on the shelf in KY was at the NCM track store and it's about half the price of the Castrol stuff Pete recommends. I hear you can buy racing brake fluid at motorcycle shops here and there but I didn't find any at the shops where I live.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #24
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Yep, get an oil change, fresh DOT 4 brake fluid for sure & make sure your tires & brake pads are good. A good top to bottom nuts & bolts check is a good idea too. You will be pushing your car beyond anything you have done before if you have never run a road course.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #25
pbretelson

Drives: 2013 2SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to pbretelson
I am thinking of doing NCM as well but, was wondering how well my 21' wheels in the Hot Wheels car would do on the track. My side walls are bit shorter then those on a 20' wheel. What do you guys think?
pbretelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #26
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbretelson View Post
I am thinking of doing NCM as well but, was wondering how well my 21' wheels in the Hot Wheels car would do on the track. My side walls are bit shorter then those on a 20' wheel. What do you guys think?
What's the tire size? xxx/yyR21?
Old 01-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #27
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I will start a check list for some of the new folks (track rats to be). I own a GEN 6, so my information will be a bit more specific to the Gen6 models. Gen5 folks, do read up in the owners manual.

Fresh Oil Change (Gen 6 - DEXOS 2 5W-40W) Motul is what I use.
Fresh Brake Fluid - I use Motul RBF600
Rear Differential - Fresh change (Stock for Gen6 - just short of 2 quarts)
Tires - Make sure that they are in very good shape. Think about dropping the air pressure 2-3 pounds or more before you start your first run group. Monitor the pressure through the day.
Lug Nuts - Torqued to 140 foot pounds. Do this while the wheels are COLD. There will be several torque wrenches around the hotel or Wednesday meet and greet at Smokey Bones.
Brakes - Make sure that they are in very good shape.
Everything comes out of the car (just be ready for this)
Tech inspection (there will be a tech sheet that you will either need to fill out yourself or you may need to have filled out by an ASE certified tech (HOD - uses a self tech sheet -- other sanctioning bodies require ASE filled out sheets)

FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST EDITS / ADDS / CHANGES
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #28
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
As long as I get a deal finished for an 18 1LE I am in. Cant take the current car :(

Gonna need to get it broke in before that.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote