Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-15-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Air from vents smells so bad!!!

Ok add another Camaro owner to the list of others regarding the nasty ass smell coming from the a/c vents. Stinks with just the vents on or with the a/c on, it doesn't matter which. I've never had this happen before ever on any car/ truck I've owned. This is absolutely ridiculous and disgusting!

Last edited by Silveradoss573; 06-16-2019 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Title corrections
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:44 AM   #2
rozarioorlan

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
My guess would be to pop open the air filter area and see if anything is there or at least near it? It’s a pretty simple process removing three tabs. When’s the last time you replaced the filter? They are less than $12 I believe. Also maybe try wiping down the A/C vents with a lysol wipe or something as well as clean the air filter area. Very basic stuff but may help.
2013 2LS - K&N CAI, Overkill Ported 80mm Throttle Body, Overkill E85 Kit and Overkill Tune, Jacfab Ported Intake Manifold and Spacer, Stealth 3.0 TC, ARH Catted Downpipes, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Resonator Delete, Jones Full Boar Racing Mufflers, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Seperator
rozarioorlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:41 AM   #3
Silveradoss573

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozarioorlan View Post
My guess would be to pop open the air filter area and see if anything is there or at least near it? It’s a pretty simple process removing three tabs. When’s the last time you replaced the filter? They are less than $12 I believe. Also maybe try wiping down the A/C vents with a lysol wipe or something as well as clean the air filter area. Very basic stuff but may help.
I replaced the filter over the winter. The OEM with charcoal I thought was dirty I learned was perfectly fine but already in the trash truck. I replaced with a cheap one from the parts store. I pulled the cover and it's as clean as can be. The filter has zero smell to it. I did spray ozium air sanitizer into the inlet and let the car run for about 15 mins. Then I really hit it hard and immediately shut the car off to let this stuff really saturate the system. I'll start it up tomorrow evening sometime and see how that worked? I guess I'll also lift the car and make sure the drain tube isn't restricted. It was dripping some water but nothing like my Silverado does. I'm just frustrated as this was the first time in months I finally got to drive it. Thanks
Old 06-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
Sheriff Justice
If your not 1st your last

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS / RS
Each spring I use a can of each ‘Clean Air’ duct freshener and odor fogger with good results. Spray vents, inside recirculating air intake and exterior intake grill with A/C on. After use the fogger and leave doors / windows closed for a little while.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Drives: 15 2lt RS Top Gun Camaro
Let me explain why you are experiencing this nasty smell. When the AC is on the evap is soaking wet AND if you turn the car off without letting the evap dry off the heat soak from the heater core near the evap causes mold to grow. It can get very nasty after time and time again not letting the evap time to dry off before shutting off the car.

Heres the trick always turn off the AC before your destination and run the fan high enough that the air coming out of the vents is no longer cool. This will insure the evap is dry.

The easiest way to kill off the mold you have in there now is remove the air filter, find the outside air intake OR inside air intake and with the fan on high HVAC set to vent spray a solution of 50% vinegar 50% water with a small amount of dish detergent added to it. It will clean and kill off the mold and smell good forever as long as you follow the proper shut down procedure for the AC. Change your socks too...... lmao
152LTRockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
Centauri

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I will second this. I do this, and it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
Let me explain why you are experiencing this nasty smell. When the AC is on the evap is soaking wet AND if you turn the car off without letting the evap dry off the heat soak from the heater core near the evap causes mold to grow. It can get very nasty after time and time again not letting the evap time to dry off before shutting off the car.

Heres the trick always turn off the AC before your destination and run the fan high enough that the air coming out of the vents is no longer cool. This will insure the evap is dry.

The easiest way to kill off the mold you have in there now is remove the air filter, find the outside air intake OR inside air intake and with the fan on high HVAC set to vent spray a solution of 50% vinegar 50% water with a small amount of dish detergent added to it. It will clean and kill off the mold and smell good forever as long as you follow the proper shut down procedure for the AC. Change your socks too...... lmao
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
Silveradoss573

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate the ideas.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 152LTRockin View Post
50% vinegar 50% water
That vinegar won't make my interior smell more like douche than it already does?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 AM   #9
Silveradoss573

Well I checked that grommet right above the transmission and it was installed correctly. Now I'm trying to figure out what and how to make sure the drain line clean and clear. Dropped the rear of trans a few inches but still next to no room.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:36 AM   #10
weSS1LEy
weSS1LEy

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss/rs/1le
Thanks ltrockin! I’ve always done this not knowing how important it was!
Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 AM   #11
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
That vinegar won't make my interior smell more like douche than it already does?
That might be your upper lip your smelling
Old 06-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #12
Joecruiser

Drives: 2014 2-SSRS Slushbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Pot Nug seems to be an AC expert...
But that 50-50 mix is what the H0s at the brothel use.
I'd steer clear of that...just saying.
Joecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #13
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

LOL naa it will smell great afterwards, Use white vinegar. Actually it depends on the strength vinegar you can find in your local grocery store. If you can only get 2% I'd use it straight because its already mostly water. If your AC is really smelling rank you won't believe how nasty the evap looks. You may need to do it a few times if it has a thick hairy build up on it.

But its a place to start, be sure to add some type of detergent to the mix so any dirt or grease gets broken down. I'd steer clear of any strong off the shelf products unless you are familiar with them. Some are very strong and nasty and are made for cleaning units you can take apart like window ac units. Vinegar is great cleaner for just about anything but it kills mold on contact quickly. Most all mold remediation is done with vinegar.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #14
152LTRockin
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Well I checked that grommet right above the transmission and it was installed correctly. Now I'm trying to figure out what and how to make sure the drain line clean and clear. Dropped the rear of trans a few inches but still next to no room.
Run the car and turn on the ac, you should see a small puddle under the car after a few mins of its humid.