Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
Service Stabilitrak & Power Steering Issue (Help)

Drove the car for a drive today and all sudden kept getting random messages throughout the drive earlier service power steering, then once i started driving back home, in neighborhood all bells whistles lit up, car lost power steering, brake light on, service stabilitrak and powersteering, this is second time i had this issue, previous time the shop replaced that black module computer square box that sits on the ABS square near the passenger header and tuned it, and it was gone for a while but on a nice warm day today now its back again, Help how do i solve this issue permanently what is going on???

23K miles on the car, i drive it every so often, never raced. Mods as far anything related, CAI, Stainless power headers, stainless works exhaust, pulleys, ID850,DSX External Fuel pump, dyno tune by Matt Sorian, NGK Plugs and Wires, Im not sure what is going on, no engine work or transmission or suspension.

Last edited by Hellfighter; 04-13-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Hellfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I had a similar issue a while ago, turned out that when the engine torqued, it would pull a wire a little out of the fuse box. Also had a ob reader mess up the computer once when it feel it half way.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Get a new battery if you haven't yet.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:10 AM   #4
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
I agree with HD: Check your battery voltage.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
I had a similar issue a while ago, turned out that when the engine torqued, it would pull a wire a little out of the fuse box. Also had a ob reader mess up the computer once when it feel it half way.

Wait What wire are we talking about?? What do you mean.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #6
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
I agree with HD: Check your battery voltage.

Volts in car read 15.3 im pretty sure battery seems fine? car starts fine no issues that would show battery is worn, this was during a drive not while parked.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
With our cars, a battery that is not quite working properly, often causes very strange and sporadic gremlins.

The voltage should vary as it gets charged, then drops back to 12v + for a while till it decides it needs another charge, etc, The charging is controlled automatically.

If you's is registering a constant 15.3, that indicated it's charging at a high rate continuously
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #8
ZL1 Maniac

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Red Hot M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
With our cars, a battery that is not quite working properly, often causes very strange and sporadic gremlins.

The voltage should vary as it gets charged, then drops back to 12v + for a while till it decides it needs another charge, etc, The charging is controlled automatically.

If you's is registering a constant 15.3, that indicated it's charging at a high rate continuously
And if it’s still the original battery, it is time regardless....

Just replaced the one in my 2014.

ACDelco Part # 88864542
94RAGM Professional

From Summit Racing, $200.00 and 3 days to my front door !!

Good luck with it
ZL1 Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Maniac View Post
And if it’s still the original battery, it is time regardless....

Just replaced the one in my 2014.

ACDelco Part # 88864542
94RAGM Professional

From Summit Racing, $200.00 and 3 days to my front door !!

Good luck with it

I just picked up duralast platinum for 199$ Within the initial crank it read 14.3 volts right now, i really hope this solves the issue... Its in the car now, had to run through the usual roll window up screen stuff, but have not driven it out to test yet. Im just worried i dont want to be stranded 30 miles out with no power steering and entire dash blaring pinging at me
Old 04-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #10
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
I just picked up duralast platinum for 199$ Within the initial crank it read 14.3 volts right now, i really hope this solves the issue... Its in the car now, had to run through the usual roll window up screen stuff, but have not driven it out to test yet. Im just worried i dont want to be stranded 30 miles out with no power steering and entire dash blaring pinging at me

Saw a bunch of this 2 to 3 years ago as the first original owners started loosing batteries. Hopefully you solved it.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:52 PM   #11
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Saw a bunch of this 2 to 3 years ago as the first original owners started loosing batteries. Hopefully you solved it.

Losing batteries? what do you mean sorry if im not under standing you.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #12
JB'sZL1

Assuming you read the dash voltmeter and the engine running (I hope, as those are high readings), you're better off now, as the new battery is requiring 1 less volt to charge, and 14.3 is within the normal charging rate for a 12 volt, whereas 15.3 is high.

For future reference, when I stated measure the volts, I meant at the battery, disconnected. Sounds like you're good now. Take it on a few short trips, starting and stopping, to ascertain the issue is resolved, so as to not be stranded 30 miles from home.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #13
JB'sZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfighter View Post
Losing batteries? what do you mean sorry if im not under standing you.
I think he meant new owners of used ZL1's were posting purported diagnostic issues, but the only problem was a bad battery.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:52 PM   #14
Hellfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
I think he meant new owners of used ZL1's were posting purported diagnostic issues, but the only problem was a bad battery.

Bro i hope you're right, this would be a huge lift off my shoulders, Ill go drive around town and see what happens, as mentioned my issue was when the car was hot, engine hot engine bay hot, idling, and on drive back home just BOOM right in your face every light and noise possible on dash, Brake, Stabilitrak, Engine light, etc etc. Almost all of them

I never wondered why it would be a battery since the car is in motion and alternator is charging on while the wheels spinning, inertia from it alone should not have caused issues arise, considering i had radio still playing normal all lights working fine, and subwoofers.

"Update 4/13/20"
Just drove around town 10-15 miles give or take, nothing showing up on dash about stabilitrak or engine lights, IDK bro i guess it was the battery, mostly highway miles and city miles with some idling done, stop and go easy traffic, Drove fine now. Hope that was it as far this goes... , and the car can find it's way to a new home eventually without any hassle.

Last edited by Hellfighter; 04-13-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Hellfighter is offline   Reply With Quote